Winning a big pot in poker is not as delicious as we thought.

dangbaonguyen93

dangbaonguyen93

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
Sitting at the poker table, sometimes you hear a sentence: "Oh my god, these small games are not worth anything, the important thing is the set up games", or "winning or losing depends on the contact games". The questions I get most often are also related to big all-in games with all the stacks ("I know for sure he has AA but I can't fold KK", "river goes all in like this, should I?" "fold set, don't you?", etc. Every time a cash session ends, everyone's mind only thinks of big games like that. Every time a tournament ends, most people only remember the games that made them happy. getting eliminated, or big games that make you lose most of your previous stack. These big games that touch each other, it is true that they have an extremely important impact on your results. But they are only the results of one day. Of one tournament. But if you are a real poker player, you don't care about short-term results. Only long-term results are what attracts your attention the most, and clashes have little impact. for long-term results.

The reason is because of symmetry in poker. No one is lucky all the time, nor is anyone constantly unlucky. If you play long enough, the number of times you hold KK against an opponent holding AA is equal to the number of times vice versa. The number of times you call with a set on the river and lose when your opponent buys the flush is equal to the number of times you call with an all in and your opponent calls with a set on the river. In the long run, the results of these symmetrical games cancel each other out.

Long-term wins and losses in poker come from games with asymmetry in strategy between the two opponents, and it is the small games when neither player has anything too strong in their hand that makes the most difference. about tactics.
Such as:

- You raise preflop with 4♥4♣️, your opponent calls on the button. The flop comes out :k♥️J♠9♠️, you c-bet and get called. Turn out 5♦️, you check fold, and completely forget about this game.
- You call the big blind with :Q♦J♦️against the button. The flop comes out :6♥6♦3♣️, your opponent c-bets half the pot and you fold, "quickly move on to a new hand".
- You c-bet with :A♣️9♣️ on the :9❤4♣♠️5♣️ hand, your opponent checks and calls. It turns out :K♦️, which is higher than your 9, so you check back. The river comes out :4♣️, the opponent still checks, and you also check "open the card to make it healthy"
These types of bland, innocuous games are where your biggest profits in poker are created, if you really find a way to learn how to play correctly. They are also the games you should really spend time reviewing and re-analyzing after each session, not the other games.

Homework: in the 3 examples above, the players all made mistakes. Point out their mistakes and figure out the right way to play.

Goodluck and GG!