Why you bet?!

telespf

telespf

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you know why you bet or re-raise a bet!?!

Would you say about your strategy for win more money when you have the best hand?!

Normally you wait your opponent have action for you win more chips or you prefer win the pot soon?! And about the risck of you wait the hand of your opponent to be better and really it’s have happened?!

You could win the hand and in the finish you lost more chips?!

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Situations are different, so there is no single and always right solution. There are many factors to consider. In my opinion, it is best to be patient and wait for a good opportunity.

L

Lochika

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no right answer, it all depand on your rande and your opponent range.
I will say that the most value in poker is from value bets, less from bluffs.

tenk27

tenk27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all bet for fun and profit, I hope no one bets me to lose;)

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are various reasons for betting. 2/3 of the time I don’t hit the flop or the board in any way. Would you fold all the hands that don’t hit and lose the 3BB or even more if it’s a 3-bet involved, 2/3 of the times you invested them? And when you hit the board, would you be happy to win only 3BB from your opponent? What if someone else has a better hand and they hit the board, don’t you want to scare them off in order to fold their winning hand in your favour?

These are some of the questions that I asked myself when I noticed I wasn’t profitable.

There are no strict rules as to how and when to do it, but the why is strict if you want to pay the rent or mortgage, you need those BB to go into your account most of the time.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We bet for value if we're likely to have the best hand and get called by worse. We bet as a bluff if we have the worst hand and expect better hands to fold. We bet for protection when we have a marginal made hand that is susceptible to being downgraded on later streets.

C

CerealKiller78

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We dont want to value bet when you make fold worse hands and call better hands. Sometimes you want to keep worse hands in villains range.

L

La reytor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is difficult to withdraw from a large pot with a KA hand it has happened to me that nothing has come out and on the table is like this 56783 and I lost a lot, you start to question yourself my rival has QA which is always the classic KAvsQA and what I had was mirival A4 painful very painful.:(

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It should be emphasized that there is no perfect strategy for playing poker, but there are strategies that bring players stable dividends. Learning these strategies will be the first step to success for beginners, but experienced players can gain new and useful knowledge.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are many factors, including your attitude to the game, there are a number of dependencies on the bet - your opponent, his stack, board structure, and a number of others!

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I want what’s in the middle! Slow play is a bad play!

Mamkin_Pokerist

Mamkin_Pokerist

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the situation. But I often mask the strength of my hand

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For a thorough explanation of my actions, I will have to write a lot. Most of the time, I act intuitively based on my experience of previous games.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whether to bet or not-
poker makes the right decision.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bet to make pots bigger.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It should be emphasized that there is no perfect strategy for playing poker, but there are strategies that bring players stable dividends. Learning these strategies will be the first step to success for beginners, but experienced players can gain new and useful knowledge.

Yes, there are. But it is dificult to find the best action for every single action in a game.

telespf

telespf

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But if we not bet before our hand not will turn big to a good hand of value.

But, if we bet hight, our opponent will fold a hand. If we wait.

Bet value after river level up of the pot is not good too.

Is good wait action of opponent, if you have a good hand of value??

There is no right answer, it all depand on your rande and your opponent range.
I will say that the most value in poker is from value bets, less from bluffs.

telespf

telespf

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can keep your strategy for long time?!

Independent of you tournament, you keep your strategy and can to keep lucrative for long time?!

In some tournaments, some times I see me to be envolv for my opponents and losing my strategy

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We bet for value if we're likely to have the best hand and get called by worse. We bet as a bluff if we have the worst hand and expect better hands to fold. We bet for protection when we have a marginal made hand that is susceptible to being downgraded on later streets.

My favorite response in this thread, so far :)

Yes, this is a good foundation for all logical bets. There are a few other advanced reasons one may bet as well, but these other reasons tend to be meta-game factors which wouldn't traditionally make sense for a specific hand in a vacuum.

Some examples of those betting reasons might be:

- altering your table image

- downbetting (betting for pot control) which is betting smaller with the hopes of getting called when you feel like a check by you would be raised bigger (e.g. you're opponent bets full pot every time you check and you don't want the pot that big, so you downbet one third pot yourself and they simply call; whereas if you checked they'd likely bet out full pot themselves - downbetting is obviously less successful against experienced opponents knowing what you are up to :D )

- we might also bet because our opponent's range is capped and our perceived range is stronger. This might sort of be "bluffing", but I consider it slightly different because this type of betting reason would also occur whenever we have a better hand too. Basically, our range is stronger than the opponent range and maybe even more effective when the opponent knows this fact too! (although it still might work to some success if the opponent isn't thinking in terms of ranges, but it is probably better against someone who "knows" they should fold to your bet)

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get bored sometimes. I want and make a bet. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I want to make my opponent nervous and make mistakes. Let him not understand what I'm doing. And why I'm giving away the chips. Maybe he doesn't understand what he's doing. Sometimes it helps against tired opponents. Or there is a fiasco.

L

Lochika

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But if we not bet before our hand not will turn big to a good hand of value.

But, if we bet hight, our opponent will fold a hand. If we wait.

Bet value after river level up of the pot is not good too.

Is good wait action of opponent, if you have a good hand of value??

I am not sure I understand what you are saying...

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Three reasons for betting.

1) For value. To get villain to call your bet with a weaker hand.

2) As a bluff. To get villain to fold a stronger hand than mine.

3) To deny equity. To make villain pay to much to get a chance to draw out on me.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Im betting and 3 or 4 betting to make a pression to rival, to play with one player only, to my oponnets think that i had a better hand than him, and then bluff with position, or 3 barrel bluff without position

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

First to take control of the hand , either to realize value or to get others off the hand.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The only rock-solid truth in poker is: "It depends".
Sometimes you need to protect a hand, sometimes you need to trap, every situation is different. And the decisions we make are subject to the next board card.
The only simple answer is for pre-flop opening bets. You raise to get more money in the pot and fewer players in the hand.