Why people care so much about position?

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key thing that people omit to say when they tell beginners that "position is everything" is that position means nothing UNLESS they player exploits his position by playing aggressively. If you are a passive player, your position doesn't really help you nearly as much.

C

chauncey274

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In lots of situations you can win more from your monster hands (like sets), if you have position. Otherwise the opponent could for instance check behind if you check and such stuff...
This. There are alot of good things about having position. But getting the most for your hands is near the top. You don't have to bet out with no information, and you don't have to check only to have your opponent check behind you and you lose a street of value.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just as a realtor will tell you that in real estate, it's about Location. Location. Location., a good poker player will tell you that here, it's Position. Position. Position. Oftentimes, dependent upon stack size and tourn stages, for example, your cards will play less importance than your position, because of the wider (and more profitable) range with which you can act when you are IP. Good luck ;)

N

nnuubie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing for a couple of years now ,and still consider my self a newbie.I
can see what your saying about position I've stolen plenty of pots when it was checked back to me on the river,but I've also been in tourneys there were so loose and preflop aggresive that position was the big blind,the dealer button is no good if the small or big blind go allin

Too aggressive players may do well for a few rounds, or more, but they will run out of luck. If the BB an sB act that way, let them. Soon enough someone will call them down, and it won't take long.

The key thing that people omit to say when they tell beginners that "position is everything" is that position means nothing UNLESS they player exploits his position by playing aggressively. If you are a passive player, your position doesn't really help you nearly as much.

The reason poker books don't address passive playing is.... because that is not a winning style. But even in 'passive' playing position is important.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dasher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position allows you to play more aggressively. If you don't take advantage of it, that's something you need to learn if you want to get past being a beginner. The importance of position doesn't change because you have yet to learn how to exploit it.

Even the simplest hand can benefit. You have AA, first to act. So you raise and others respect your early position raise and fold. When you do get called, you will be the first to act and once again, your bet may induce a fold, or your check a check behind. It's harder to get money into the pot.

Compare that to AA on the button. Other people are more likely to enter the pot. You have a chance to make more money. You can raise a tight opponent who is likely to have a good hand and make the call. Or you can call a more aggressive opponent and hope he'll bet the flop and you can raise him then. If multiple opponents enter the pot, you can reduce the field with a good raise, with the goal of getting heads up. You can get more money into the pot because you know who else is in the hand, knowledge you don't have when first to act.

And don't reply you are going to limp AA UTG, because after four people limp after you and crack your Aces, we don't want to hear about it.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
position = information about opponents (their cards, playing style etc.), when not in position you are giving these informations.
Raise on the early position can scary your opponents so they fold, while on the late position they have entered already and you can presume their hands and compare it with your hand

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in position, you have the advantage over other players, as the last word in the hand is for you. Through this you can extend the range of playable hands.

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
because they feeling loose

with cards AK-KQ-KJ folding when opponent allin because everything can happen.

some times i fold with KK-QQ-AJ or AA .One bad 'call' and youre out.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more poker I play the more I believe that position really is everything. Its not even about picking up uncontested pots. When you flop a monster your position plays a really vital role in how much you are gonna get out of the hand.

And when you flop a strong but beaten hand position will again determine how much you are gonna lose.

If someone in position 3 bets me pre flop I am likely to fold anything other than the biggest hands because even if I hit my set or bigger hand it will be a bit tricky getting all the money. But when I have position then I might gamble with smaller pairs and big suited connectors.

And when I have a monster pre flop OOP I will raise the crap out of it because I know its not easy playing anything OOP even AA.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position means it all except when you have those who go all in with hopes of hitting.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position means it all except when you have those who go all in with hopes of hitting.

Position still matters a lot in those cases. The BB becomes the best position when you are playing at a table with people in maniac mode.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position still matters a lot in those cases. The BB becomes the best position when you are playing at a table with people in maniac mode.

Yeah, in turbo tournaments or when blinds get high and it ultimately becomes "fold or shove", the big blind starts to look a lot like the dealer button haha....

R

RickAversion

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah, in turbo tournaments or when blinds get high and it ultimately becomes "fold or shove", the big blind starts to look a lot like the dealer button haha....

You mean b/c it's ALL pre-flop action, so as BB you are last to act.
All in or fold?

D

dasher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes.

The first advantage is, you can estimate the hand strength by the position of the raiser. Some one shoving all-in UTG has more potential callers then someone pushing on the button. Because of this, his hand ranges should be tighter. By the time it reaches the button, the shoving range is fairly wide, so you can open up your calling range. Remember, it takes a stronger hand to call than to raise.

The BB can just fold if a either a very tight player or someone not as short-stacked bet first. By virtue of being able to act last pre-flop, the BB can save his money in those situations where the raiser has a big hand and would call.