Why do we bet?

webwiser

webwiser

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the most serious mistakes post-flop is not knowing why a player makes a bet. Most players don't know how to explain why they bet on a certain scenario.
Some players point to reasons such as "I bet because I thought I was winning", "I bet to get information", "I bet to know where I was stepping" or "I bet to end the hand now". A decision based on these judgments makes the player miss basic game concepts without realizing it.

The two main reasons to bet are:

Value: When a player is winning the most hands the opponent will call.

bluff: When the player represents a strong hand and forces the opponent to fold better hands.

As an example of a value bet, see this hand below.

Before even betting, you have to determine which hands the
opponent might have and then figure out what hands he's going to call you with.

Realize that among the hands he's likely to pay you
(green and red), most of them you are winning (green).
In this case, you are placing a value bet.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you can find a reason for every bet you make, then you are a logical poker player and will not be easily tilted, good luck at the table.

zamana80

zamana80

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion it is more important to feel and read your opponent.
There are many predictable players and u can use their style against them!

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you can find a reason for every bet you make, then you are a logical poker player and will not be easily tilted, good luck at the table.
I always ask myself why I’m betting , what my opponent is likely to do when I bet and how I plan to react. If he re-raises or shoves then I can react pretty quickly since I decided how to handle that in advance. I also have a rough game plan for following streets in mind.