why didnt i win this hand?? (omaha confusion)

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They dont spread those games. Unless you want like a deep stack sng?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They dont spread those games. Unless you want like a deep stack sng?

Ahh I was thinking of one of us setting up a home game on pokerstars - I'm now assuming you don't have pokerstars? If so that's probably the best option, if you only play on tilt then I'd have to see if someone would trade some $$$ with me unless you come on pokerstars. SnG HU's I don't mind either.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:ah4: :qh4: :9h4: :6h4: :4h4: vs :ah4: :qh4: :9h4: :6h4: :3h4:

Yes you both have an A high flush but the one on the left is better because 4 is higher than 3, which is the deciding card since you are playing the same cards down to the 3 and 4.
You have to use the best 5 cards in holdem... AQ964 is better than AQ963

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's good to see everyone thinks i'm complete retard but well

I don't, and understand ppl look at things different ways which was why I kept trying, lol
I hope it's clearer now.:)

Last edited:
Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The straight example I put out I wondered why it makes a difference in a flush hand the cards you hold yet in a straight it doesn't. I thought the same principle should of applied as the flush example. A 4 of hearts is higher than my 3 of heart Ace high flush. So why woulden't my 3,4 be classed as a higher straight than say his 2,3 .
Because in the case of the straight (in NLHE), the 5 best cards are on the board. You only use 5 cards to make a hand (including kickers), not 6 or 7. So basically, you and your opponent are 'throwing away' your hole cards (for lack of a better term), because they are not needed. Does that make more sense?

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So..... where are you playing? :)
If you are refereeing to me then yeaha lets get a headups going tonight, should be some easy chips for ya and besides which I need to practise my HU's play. No reason why you shoulden't taken on my challenge? ;)

My comment was just for LOL's, but I'm willing to play some heads-up if you like, though I usually can only play between about 11:00 pm and 1:30 am eastern time, so that might not work for you. I think we did once play in someone else's home game. I can do play money or micro stakes, and I do have a home game account set up on PokerStars (see my signature), though no one has joined. PM me if there's a better time for you I might be able to work it in.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cannot play on stars. See what you can do, if you cant get on ftp, no problem. itll be a wash then

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you believe you are wrong? :) ...cause I do believe you are:

You have Quad aces with a K kicker
Your opponent has Quad aces with a Q

you are correct on this one, the king kicker would win the pot. Not the Q high.

But it also depends on the house rules as well, and the site rules

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
whoa, whoa,whoa....really?
I mean this isn't like "caller must show first" or a "mucked hand is a mucked hand"

...I would think this would be more along the lines of "house rules" that allow JQKA2 as a straight!!! or House rules that say "AA<22" ... basically house rules that I'll never willingly play under

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you are correct on this one, the king kicker would win the pot. Not the Q high.

Yes, I remember this time I was playing Five-card stud High-low with no low qualifier with two friends of mine, but all we had was a Pinochle deck. So one friend gets a royal flush to take the high pot, and the other friend and I both had quad 9's, but my queen kicker beat his king kicker to take the low pot.

Good times... ;)

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow!!!!

Yeah, it does seem as if this guy doesn't have a clue. That's only because we already understand the concept and he doesn't. Once he understands it, he won't lose that understanding anymore. Isn't this the site that helps people learn and not make fun of them, no matter HOW ludicrous the lack of understanding is?

Yeah, sure. If he was being cocky, or extremely annoying, jump all over the guy. I get that. But he just didn't understand a concept. Let's give him a break........We're starting to sound like another forum out there.....

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I remember this time I was playing Five-card stud High-low with no low qualifier with two friends of mine, but all we had was a Pinochle deck. So one friend gets a royal flush to take the high pot, and the other friend and I both had quad 9's, but my queen kicker beat his king kicker to take the low pot.

Good times... ;)

lol...well I played in a bar room freeroll and the guy running it accidentally bought pinochle decks... I knew something was up when the table started with the first three to act raised, re-raised, shoved...I look down and have Q's...and they were SUITED!:eek: :eek:

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow!!!!

Yeah, it does seem as if this guy doesn't have a clue. That's only because we already understand the concept and he doesn't. Once he understands it, he won't lose that understanding anymore. Isn't this the site that helps people learn and not make fun of them, no matter HOW ludicrous the lack of understanding is?

Yeah, sure. If he was being cocky, or extremely annoying, jump all over the guy. I get that. But he just didn't understand a concept. Let's give him a break........We're starting to sound like another forum out there.....

How were people not trying to help him? Each new question by OP received multiple responses with examples to try to help him understand. Were there any mean posts in this thread? Maybe a couple of digs, but nothing compared to a "rigged" thread.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol...well I played in a bar room freeroll and the guy running it accidentally bought pinochle decks... I knew something was up when the table started with the first three to act raised, re-raised, shoved...I look down and have Q's...and they were SUITED!:eek: :eek:

I think we've found the next new game format for Full-Tilt! :D

It was not easy to come up with a situation where quads+Q beat quads+K for anything without seriously breaking some rules.

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How were people not trying to help him? Each new question by OP received multiple responses with examples to try to help him understand. Were there any mean posts in this thread? Maybe a couple of digs, but nothing compared to a "rigged" thread.

I hear you. I'd say many people tried to help, but there were a couple digs that some would be okay with. Others might not be. But it can be intimidating to newbies when they try to ask a question and get 'digs' tossed their way. It was just my feeling.

But he seem to get the sentiment of some because he said as much in his post.

I did appreciate that most did try to help though. Definitely not a 'rigged' thread IMO.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ITT:

Reasons why PLO is extremely profitable. :)

This might be because of my nitty nature but this is also why I feel the winning hand is folding a lot to people that think they have a great hand and really have nothing. I guess that is my own fault but if you have a Set of Aces and the straight and or flush is out there and someone bets pot are you really gonna call? Turns out they only had one flush card in their hand.

I guess the real challenge comes in finding who these people are and exploiting them by taking their stack several times.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
omg this threads still going!

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ram.....let me see if I can help you here.

If you do not have two cards of the same suit in your hand there is no way you can ever make a flush in Omaha. If you do not have two cards that when added to three cards on the board to make a straight then you do not have a straight. However if you have an A and there are two aces on the board you now have trip aces and your other card would be used as a possible kicker.

Look down at your four cards.

If you you have AcKc8s3d then you can make a flush as long as three of the 5 board cards come out clubs. If you have AcKs4d6h you will NEVER be able to make a flush no matter how many of the same suit there are on the board. The board does not play that way in Omaha. If the board has quads on it you don;t get to use those quads cause you can only use three of them

Hope that helps.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wwwooow. who woulda thunk this thread will still be gettin replies. sick

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I replied because it appears that Ram has still not received the answer. I know answers were given but the problem inst resolved until he understands it or gives up trying IMO.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my post wasn't directed at you kmix fyi. just weird that THIS thread has almost 100 replies already and counting

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my post wasn't directed at you kmix fyi. just weird that THIS thread has almost 100 replies already and counting

No I understand that it wasn't. I didn't take it personal :)

Funny thing is did the OP ever come back? I admit I didn't read the whole thing but I did want to try and help Ram out cause to me it seems like he really wanted to know.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Funny thing is did the OP ever come back? I admit I didn't read the whole thing but I did want to try and help Ram out cause to me it seems like he really wanted to know.

Ha! I forgot that Ram wasn't the OP. He kind of thread-jacked it with the quads questions. I guess OP must have been satisfied with the first couple of responses.

V

vasysm

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and in Omaha with quads on board you can only at best make a full house, since you can only pick 3 of them :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands