Why is BB less likely to have a strong hand?

S

samir77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see people saying all the time that UTGs are more likely to have strong hands but SB and BB are less likely. I know you are not supposed to open light from starting positions because there are many players behind you who can have a strong hand.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It is true because of the opening ranges and calling ranges.

As you say UTG will have a lot of stronger hands pre-flop, because their opening range is much tighter than say the CO or BTN. So when they open, the chances of them having a very strong hand is much higher.

The BB will have an overall weaker range, because they have a much wider range when they just call preflop because a lot of the time they will be 3-betting AA, KK, AK, so when they call, you can discount them having those hands.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because BB is closing the action and getting a good price, and this makes it profitable to defend more hands. Of course the latter is assuming a normal opening size and no 3-bet. It also matter, if there is an ante, how large the open raise is, and from what position. Against a min-raise from BTN in a game with antes, BB can defend any two cards or very close to it, especially if there are no ICM implications. However against a 3BB open from UTG in a game with no antes, BB should defend much less. And if someone is making an oversized open like 5-6BB, then the price matter less than position, and BTN might actually have a wider range for getting involved than BB.

CNXRegie

CNXRegie

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
I've come across similar viewpoints regarding the strength of hands in different positions. As far as I've gathered, being in UTG, players there tend to be cautious about their opening ranges due to the number of players yet to act. This often leads to UTG raises signaling stronger hands.

On the flip side, the SB and BB being late positions, some players might leverage their position and be more open to playing a wider range of hands.

As a newcomer, I'm still in the learning phase, so I'd greatly appreciate any insights from more experienced players on this subject. It's truly captivating to delve into the nuances of poker strategy and how different positions can impact hand selection and playing styles.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Acting first and playing tends to mean you have a stronger hand. A tight player for sure will have a premium hand. Sb or bb they already have some play already so they’re ranges can be much wider. Of course you can prob make a read on that if you’ve played with them for a while and you can see tendencies

choprav

choprav

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes it's TRUE definitely! Plenty online about why. Depends on so many factors, as usual

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
However, when he comes out with a strong hand, he surprises everyone because he is the last one to act!:unsure:👿

sidd4rt4

sidd4rt4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Most of the time sb and bb have cheaps hands compared with utg 1 2 3

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands