Who here always defends the BB even with a bad hand?

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No, not always.

Depends on the situation.

thetaxman1

thetaxman1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes defend the blinds All in Kamakazi Yell.

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope there's lots of people who because there easy pickings.

I will play more loose but defend everything why that's silly and people do it alot. Never understood why you're going to get called down enough. Yes if no one's raised you take you're shots but if opponent is calling and you continue all the way through the river your gonna lose

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is impossible to say unequivocally because it all depends on the situation: for example, on the number of chips from the stage of the tournament and from what position the raise was made and many other factors can also affect the decision to defend the blinds or not !!! But hands like 72 I definitely won't defend!!!

S

StepUp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The real question lays in the MDF (minimum defense frequency) concept and a whole understanding of RANGES and positions and what hand to defend or let go versus what kind of players and how you defend your blinds. Some people will float a lot of dominated hands from the big blind thinking that it has enough playability postflop others will implement a 3bet range ( optimal against EP Maniacs never agaisnt solid ranges) or some crazy shoving ranges from the blinds against high Vpip (lag players) or even vs very tight players (late stages) Defending the blinds is crucial either playing cash or tournaments but it needs a good undertstanding of board textures and players tendancies.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
you don't have to defend big blinds all the time
you have to do it once in a while to show other players that they can't steel it all the time

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I react very simply, I do not play with junk and in my opinion, this is the best reaction in any case. :)
Good luck.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always defend BB?

Not me. Can you get lucky? Yes rarely, but I see it as a chip donation. Somebody raised because they likely have a good starting hand, and you're gonna chase with a poor one?

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not aways.. depends of my stack, opponents stacks and size of villain bet![emoji453][emoji91]

Last edited:
fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a bad hand I don't defend BB. I prefer not to risk it. The probability of losing is huge. I like to rely on strategy and technique rather than luck.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Your question is super general but I will tell you this. Defending more that you should is -EV because you will play post flop with combinations you shouldn't , defending too tight is also -EV because you will lose value in the long term.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play like the blinds don't exist,,,,i play my cards. :deal:

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean, it's too general to talk about defending BB, there're lot of factors to be considered. So it changes from cash game to tournament. It changes from 3 to 6 or 9 player tables. What I advice to anyone, that they better do not play agressive if they hit a pair or two, defending their blind with weak hand.

seirmelo

seirmelo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Defender

No, I don't defend BB with a bad hand, only if I already have a read on the villain and know that he is very aggressive more than usual, in this case I already call in any position, in fact I don't call, I'll be aggressive in over his aggression.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I play like the blinds don't exist,,,,i play my cards. :deal:

And if you take position into account, cards in EP are often not as strong as the same cards in LP. So that's where the issue comes into play.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No - not always, but agree with those who say your question is too general. You are out of position post flop so ALWAYS defending the bb no matter what would be a huge mistake.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands