Who here always defends the BB even with a bad hand?

Jardel Barros

Jardel Barros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The blind war makes a lot of people anxious and euphoric. How do you react in the BB position?

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of beginners do in holdem. They don't understand the blinds are the community's and think they have to defend it as if it's theirs. Uber cardinal mistake for beginners. I can't tell you how many people if playing stud or stud8 will complete a bet instead of just bring it in for the bare minimum with a bad hand, its silly.

In most of the cases they lose a lot more than if they didn't act that way in either game but that's for them to figure out, if they ever do, lol.

The other mistake is going crazy UTG to steal the approaching big blind but we know that's the worst place to do that stuff but I see it all the time.

This GTO stuff gives inexperienced players more excuses to try and defend the blinds when they shouldn't.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Playing well in the blinds, the secret to success.

Good morning everyone, I don't always defend the blinds, I defend if I have a reasonable hand, if I have a few players, depending on my stack size.
It is very important to defend the blinds, players who are very profitable always defend the blinds, and it is a very difficult task to do.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
yes there are some moments in the poker game where you have to defend your BB with almost any 2 cards :); especially at the beginning and end of the tournament, when everyone tends to be more jovial:)

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Your terms are way to vague to answer the question properly. Does "defend" in your question mean to call anything? For example, a 100bb raise? Also, who am I defending against? Against anything but the SB, you are OOP and at a disadvantage there. Against the button raise, at least you can categorize it as a possible steal attempt.

Anyway, there are way too many factors to simplify it down to, "do you defend the BB?"

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one plays poker with a range of hands that in the long run are profitable in each position, in my case I always defend the BB BUT with hands that are on my board and not with any, beginners if they pay with any hand they always like to see flop, we must always be careful of that and follow their proposed ranges.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on the raise . if it is not too high and not too much to pay and no reraise then i will often defend my blind with almost any 2 cards

F

Foxie12340

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on the situation, if there are lots of players in then I might for pot odds or raise it to the small blind if they are the only one in the hand. It also depends on my chip stack

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
defender la BB

Hello, I don't always defend her. according to my stack. I can do it with a good hand. If I don't have a good hand I fold

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
The blind war makes a lot of people anxious and euphoric. How do you react in the BB position?
I don't really care about BB or SB, all I depend on is what I have in my hands, the reaction of the opponents and my position at the table, and despite all this care, luck can play a positive or negative role, it's poker, my friend

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Paying the blinds is a cost of doing business. What is the cost of playing a marginal had with poor position? What are you defending exactly? Not sure those are are emotions conducive to good play, "anxious and euphoric". My reaction would be patience and pot odds.

CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean, post flop I sometimes find strenght in being able to bet first. Depends how big is the 3 bet and wether or not there is a 4 bet and depends on how many big blinds I have myself. With that said, I would protect my blind reasonably often.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it will depend a lot on what I have in my hand, 90% do not defend the BB

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't like the word "always" when one is talking how to play poker.
First, because any hand has its factors of decision.
Second, because "always" could mean "predictable" in most of the cases. A predictable player is a exploitable player.

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Interesting to read the different takes on this subject. I'm still too new to poker to accurately have a take on this because I pretty much play the same no matter what position I'm in. Too much learning still!

sulzerrt

sulzerrt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

My suggestion is don't be afraid to play exploitative and aggressive every time you see good cards in your hand: any Broadway, any Ax, any pair, as well as strong suited connectors and limp everything else. After a few such hands, your will start to work, and not every opponent will decide to “test” you with an aggressive action (3bet / isolate). And in most situations, when you see such courage, after all, there will simply be a good hand. After all, your opponents will continue to play, for the most part, honestly, but against the background of your increased aggression, they will give you chips even easier.

speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not me, and I'm defending it, especially if it's bad

Dalyn

Dalyn

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes almost always 2.0 or 2.5 x raise

seirmelo

seirmelo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hand good

I only defend the BB with a very good hand, because on the flop I will be the second to act and last is always better.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Defending the bb will depend a lot on how the hand gets to you and the cards you received, for that there is a range of defense for the bb, if you defend all of them, you will be tearing money. Good luck at the tables everyone.:)

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

It all depends on the equity of the pot. I like to defend my BB. But paying dearly with hands that aren't even speculative. So I always look at the pot, my stack and my hand before deciding.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's fine to defend with a wide range at BB if the opponents are passive players. But when they're aggressive players or their range is tight, I just defend with good hands which can realize more equity.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends of a lot of factors, like my chip stack and my reading of the player who is trying to steal my blind. But I definitely don't try to defend my blinds no matter what.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands