Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
There are many theories and analyzes of when to do "Limp", however I always think it will depend on the way your opponents play ... in my case if I find myself at a table where the opponents are very aggressive ... I would do "Limp "with AA or KK in early positions ...!

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like it either.But at the same time the game becomes like a lottery.All call and each hand is divided into lucky and unlucky. So play mostly newcomers.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can limp when the effective stacks are at least 30bbs, otherwise you will not be getting paid enough when you hit.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like limping from earlier positions like UTG when the table is super aggressive. Then having a choice to reraise or just close the action. hands like AK, AQs, 77-QQ. The these hands have equity and you’re more then likely facing a raise. Now if you know that the blinds are very like to squeeze a UTG limp and a CO raise you may not want to take this approach. It puts you in a very difficult spot when you limp and are 3bet out of position. Basically limping with strength and keeping opponents for knowing what you’re playing. Limping AA in late position is a spot you can limp to strengthen you limp range and allow you to play more hands like 76s or 54s in uncontested pots. You want to see as many flops as possible with hands that have equity. Limping with strength will allow for you to do this more frequently against knowledgeable opponents. Against bad players limping in position is can be helpful if you can outplay them

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
there is a big difference between the tournaments and the normal juice because one has to keep in mind that they are not more same strategies that are joined in one game and the other, personally I like the tournament more than the cash game

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Limping is a good play when your trying not to give away a good hand and make the other one bet or setting up another hand by making them think your a bad player.

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When does limping become a good strategic play?

I understand there’s a difference between cash and tournament games.

I mean more for tournament play than cash, however any answers would be appreciated.

I would think against crazy opponents that raise and re-raise often, an initial call would allow some control over the pot.

In an incredibly loose/tight table dynamic. Or for other reasons that might make you extend your open ranges.

Are these valid reasons?
If so are there others?

Is it wise to call and raise different hands perhaps trying to conceal your own ranges?

Thank you for your time.
:)

If you are the first player to act, limping is NEVER a good decision.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would only consider a limp with AA UTG when I know a lunatic is going to raise me, then I will smile and stack him muhahahaha

G

ggteam2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often liek to limp with monsters and with small pairs when i have more than 24bb

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like limping from earlier positions like UTG when the table is super aggressive. Then having a choice to reraise or just close the action. Hands like AK, AQs, 77-QQ. The these hands have equity and you’re more then likely facing a raise. Now if you know that the blinds are very like to squeeze a UTG limp and a CO raise you may not want to take this approach. It puts you in a very difficult spot when you limp and are 3bet out of position. Basically limping with strength and keeping opponents for knowing what you’re playing. Limping AA in late position is a spot you can limp to strengthen you limp range and allow you to play more hands like 76s or 54s in uncontested pots. You want to see as many flops as possible with hands that have equity. Limping with strength will aillow for you to do this more frequently against knowledgeable opponents. Against bad players limping in position is can be helpful if you can outplay them

That makes really good sense, thank you for very much for this reply.

It's a pretty interesting approach for setting up various table images.
:)

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think limping in poker is a bad strategy. But when all the players are limping, I try to go limp with the next cards: small suited connectors; small pairs; medium offsuit aces; pocket cards from the category J-8 or Q-9.

Last edited:
W

wallyworld127

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not anserable

I see a lot of responses to this that seem very harsh i think manly with the whole crazy table re raise part. But anyway the answer kinda comes down to never (we don't like that word we are using it). Now a raise is kinda like a radar bleep, and buy limping your giving away your first chance at a response from that beep. Now all of this can really change with stack depth, like your not limping 10 9 off 2nd to act with 10 bb to induce something. But i see limping in early with a small pp with 20 bb because your dont want the pot to get out of control i can see that. but that is if you have one goal of set mining pretty much only. I don't see you doing this so that on any k q board your hammering. Anyway i hope this added something so yeah try new things but when you see that anything but raising doesn't work you come back to me... lol

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I see a lot of responses to this that seem very harsh i think manly with the whole crazy table re raise part. But anyway the answer kinda comes down to never (we don't like that word we are using it). Now a raise is kinda like a radar bleep, and buy limping your giving away your first chance at a response from that beep. Now all of this can really change with stack depth, like your not limping 10 9 off 2nd to act with 10 bb to induce something. But i see limping in early with a small pp with 20 bb because your dont want the pot to get out of control i can see that. but that is if you have one goal of set mining pretty much only. I don't see you doing this so that on any k q board your hammering. Anyway i hope this added something so yeah try new things but when you see that anything but raising doesn't work you come back to me... lol

Sorry to say this, but you have to be harsh at the poker table, if you see a exploitable situation at your table, you need to take it!!!! You can't say I can't limp raise that player that keeps raising like a maniac. You need to teach him a lesson. You play to gain chips, not to be nice to everyone, be nice off the table and be an evil little devil at the table. Those opponents are there to take your chips, that maniac isn't going to feel bad when he/she gets a suckout on you, so why should you feel bad trapping him/her into jamming into your monster. They choose to play like maniacs :p

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limping

Like anything else, if it works then it was probably a good idea, if not then no. I usually wait till I have a nice chip stack in a tourney before I limp then I do a lot better than when I am low chipped. When low it just seems to put me into a bigger hole than I can get out of. In a cash game, its just up to you. I think players play way more safe when in a straight cash game anyway though.