When is it okay to fold KK?

M

mikey481968

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how can we fold good cards from getting fished out at the river is it ok to fold kk early when 3 players go all in before you

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
how can we fold good cards from getting fished out at the river is it ok to fold kk early when 3 players go all in before you

Hi Mikey

I have moved your post, as you would probably get more replies in this part of the forum. You will also find a lot of similar sort of questions in this part of the forum too.

I will also attempt to answer your question. I would say "yes" FOLD. My reasons for this are 3 parts?

1. KK is about 80% favourite against a lower pair, which are good odds, but against AA it is only 20% favourite. In fact in a race against AK it is only 55 - 45 favourite.

2. You need to consider what hands, the previous 3 persons have gone-all in with?

3. What type of tournament you playing in? If its "shovefest freeroll" then you are probably best off folding and waiting until you have a better position.

Good luck. :top:

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding KK is tough for almost everyone. It's difficult to understand what situation you are asking about, river or preflop so I'll proceed more general.

Preflop situations folding KK, in satellite situations where you are not the short stack and need not risk chips near the bubble, this goes for AA also. Maybe when facing raise or reraise from very very tight players, this is one of the more difficult spots. As you progress in the game and get better at understanding players and reading hands this will be something you can do "easier".

Post flop is much more complicated and gets harder as you progress to river play. My best advice here is to continue to study hand reading and strategic play. Understand how your opponent's think and how your image is broadcast.

Good luck and keep learning.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 3 people ahead of you all in a fold could certainly be considered. While KK would be a favorite, it would not be strong in a 4 way pot. In a situation like that it would depend on where you are at. If the beginning of a tournament, maybe call. For all my chips mid/late, I might fold. Its only 1 hand. Sometimes you have to let it go.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i remember seeing a post exactly like this a few days ago, and i have to agree its risky to call with 3 other players, you win you get a huge boost in bb, but if you lose then your out, that being said if you feel that with the ammount of chips then your likely to make it to a final table then why not gamble, the decision is yours

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends very much on the tournament you are playing in, as one of the posters mentioned above and also on the level you reached and your stack. It's pretty much tough decision, but with so many all ins you may consider what do you want from the tournament. To survive or to build early big stack.

R

risky101

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

3. What type of tournament you playing in? If its "shovefest freeroll" then you are probably best off folding and waiting until you have a better position.

if im playing a freeroll shovefest definately NEVER FOLDING KK PRE

C

crdalchemy93

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

1. KK is about 80% favourite against a lower pair, which are good odds, but against AA it is only 20% favourite. In fact in a race against AK it is only 55 - 45 favourite.

2. You need to consider what hands, the previous 3 persons have gone-all in with?

1. KK vs AK the AK is around 34% not 45%.
2. I would also add you need to consider the position of your opponents and their chip stacks if two short stacks are all in and the btn or SB reraises all in his range may be a bit weaker JJ+ AQs+. As I'm typing this I'm thinking 3 people all in early they probably aren't that good call and hope you hold unless your on a limited bankroll.
3. if its a freeroll call your ahead so often its a freeroll either you get a deep stack and have great odds of cashing or you can move on to something less tilting then freeroll shove fast don't play tournaments.

I would only fold KK if I had reads on thee players and knew that one of them was tight enough to only have AA in that spot.

Good luck

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's never a good move to fold KK, even if you get unlucky. putting your chips in is the right move with KK, if they do have AA maybe you could still get lucky.

mammadduke

mammadduke

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm never folding kk.. I just hate the what if..

A

Allmine79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Its all about the other players table images and how they play who pushed in along with stack size. There are so many factors that come into play there really isn't enough info here to go off of.:(

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
k-k is one tough fold to make -at least for me -yes i do think its ok to fold in some situations and push in others-in situation op suggests im prolly calling in low buy-in game where any 2 cards get pushed

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't know the odds of calling a situation like this .
Marcwantstowin ' answer has some good info . I have only to say that I can find it extremely difficult to fold KK , almost never , despite of losing many many times , mainly because of an Ace on the board when I have shoved or called a shove preflop. I have to learn I guess to fold even the big ks some times .

J

J777777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Lol! its never OKK:D to fold a KK, one of the Gravest Sins in Poker:D:D:D

My take would be
A) if you have a Big Stack vis a vis rest of the players - go for it !! there is something known as side bets, you may not win the whole pot but earn more chips than you already have(most of the times) :D
B) if you have a very short stack: this is the best option to get some chips, as you would lose anyways if you keep on folding next hands! then why fold a KK??

ofcourse if you are in one of those freerolls with 3000 plus players, makes sense to fold if too many players have called all in & all of you giys have almost same chips, coz when more players are involved in the pot, the probality of 'unknown weird hands' winning is greater.

Last edited:
BCK777

BCK777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate KK !!! My UNLUCKY cards )) when i go all-in with them i 90% loose A5, A7, A9 and ect.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I hate KK !!! My UNLUCKY cards )) when i go all-in with them i 90% loose A5, A7, A9 and ect.

That's exactly what i'm talking about (well ...not 90%, let's not exaggerate ) , I'm sick of this . Especially on Riverstars .

fly2tsky

fly2tsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its kinda impossible to fold in pre-flop though. However when you can see the flop- turn- or even river you can read opponent's actions and deal with it. A pair is just a pair, nothing more.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are certainly times I am folding KK. Its not very often but if I have 3 all ins before me, I'll fold and take figure I can outplay someone later instead of the likelihood that I lose to AA or an A on the flop.

rocknroll0

rocknroll0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
preflop all in with KK can be taken in 99% of cases, post flop already looking

Padlington

Padlington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 3 people ahead of you and a flop that could be unfavorable a fold could certainly be considered there are factor in the game that would help the decision pot size against your stack (in cash game) and game position in tourny

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No hard and fast rule here. Depends on the table you are playing the level play and what part of the tourney or sng you are in. IN a shovefest its a no brainer to play it but if later in the tourney depends on how your stack measures to the others. I'd fold if I were close to the bubble simply because the strategy is to make the money. On the other hand earlier in the tourney I'd likely call as the reward while risky is worth it to me to get that far ahead early.

A

Ametist17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would throw out KK if in a late position I do 5bet and the passive player brings me all-in

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is always hard to fold KK. But in some occasions it is better to fold than to lose. If on flop is A and someone goes all, you don't get the chance against AA. You can take the risk if you think that there will appear another K but the chances are very small. It is up to you.

andreigabor

andreigabor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I've ever folded KK pre-flop since these multi all-ins are somewhat uncommon, and usually when they happen, are almost always driven by wild players whom I give much less credit to for having a hand.

Folding in Poker