When do you fold aces?

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the board is wet and and there are too many possible hands that beat AA and someone is betting into you, chances are you are beat, They are hoping you have AA.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have never folded AA preflop, and I will never fold in the future. AA is the strongest hand preflop in Hold'em and no one can be stronger than me. On the flop, turn or river, I can fold AA if I can be sure that my opponent has a better hand than me, such as a straight, flush or full house. Well, again, there are many nuances here, such as the size of the stack of my and my opponent, whether it is a tournament or a cash game, and so on.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They say that in the satellite you need to reset them when there are not many prizes left, but I can never convince myself to reset them.:)

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I neva fold aces all-in all the time

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fold two aces against the leader's chip on the bubble. I will fold in tournament trading for a big jackpot on the table when at least four players play on the pre-final table, as well as against average stacks to whom you have lost twice on the map before. So the system just drains you and tilts you.:confused:

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
See you at the table Dan - give your game away. PUSH . I willl bring my Under-the-Gun LOL
Loved your comment. I thought about what you said about giving my game away. Betcha you have done all three of those, though. Thank you for looking out for me. I'll make sure I keep some sting spray near my chair (LOL). Good luck with your games, see ya at the tables!

Dan'O

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Scenario 2,
Does not have to be one drop extreme for me lets pretend for example say Monday you are doing really well turned a $100 deposit on a poker site to $500 and won a $109 ticket for a Sunday major too in a cheap satellite on top of the world happy with the $509 upswing.
Sunday morning you wake up shaking your head in disbelief the amount of times AA got cracked on you all week when it counted looking at $50 balance left on your poker site roll and this $109 ticket for the big game.
10 places before the bubble folding guarantees a min cash of $200 as you have an ok stack but three big stacks are all in preflop before you that have you covered do you call take the coinflip risk or fold and take the $200?
I might fold here without hesitation AA preflop without putting a chip in the pot get my poker site balance up to $250 total guaranteed in this exceptional circumstance as you have a good chance of busting here.

That's fair, if you went that far and the money makes that much of a difference for you, then the play is okay. That's basically YOUR One Drop tournament and to be fair, it would be for me too.

But, at the same time, you mention your "disbelief at how many times you see Aces get cracked". We all dwell on and remember the bad beats more than the times you picked up the blinds and antes without incident, and even busting someone.

As for the 3 big stacks all-in pre-flop, I'd seriously consider folding them as well.

Well it is simple as that: never.

You've never played a satellite I assume?

I have never folded AA preflop, and I will never fold in the future. AA is the strongest hand preflop in Hold'em and no one can be stronger than me. On the flop, turn or river, I can fold AA if I can be sure that my opponent has a better hand than me, such as a straight, flush or full house. Well, again, there are many nuances here, such as the size of the stack of my and my opponent, whether it is a tournament or a cash game, and so on.

Another "never been in the bubble of a satellite tournament" because that's one spot where you have zero to gain to shove Aces and run the risk of busting.out before winning the prize, whereas if you fold, you are practically assured on a spot.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
when there are too many in hand or when there are too many suited connectors and straight possibilities. several times the AA are the worst !! haha

mickathyus

mickathyus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when I get Aces I push all in preflop. I won't push all in if I'm the dealer and 4 people before me pushed all in depending. I would fold Aces if there's anything on the board that can beat them and somebody's betting it. I seen Aces get burned too many times.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here was a VERY notable pre-flop FOLDING of Aces, from the pokerstars Big Game by David Fishman (amazing to think this was TEN years ago). Yikes!!!!! Where does the time go?

Here's the link. Again, he's up life changing money here. He got roasted for the play, but he was laughing all the way to the bank.

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding with top pair

Played last night and had AK,flop comes with A24. Turn 5, then K river. Thinking the other player has the 3 as he goes All-in I fold with Kings Aces. I have folded countless times with Aces and will never know if I could have won or not. I took away the luck factor by folding. Capo1014

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I rarely fold AA ... however once the flop is on the table ... I could eventually fold my AA on the turn or river depending on which cards are the community ... for example if there is a flush or any figure that exceeds my AA

C

Chel_nv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, when two pairs of aces are released, it is very difficult to discard them, but there are still situations when it is worth throwing them, especially on the bubble, when opponents with a small stack go all-in to get into the prizes. But there are also common situations when you are run over by Continuation Bet on the flop, it is worth considering that the opponent in most cases catches a set or nuts with the best combination. It is better to remain cold-blooded and reset, not going on about emotions. :bandit:

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I folded AA a few times, including preflop, when I was playing a satellite tournament and I know that I win tournament ticket also when sitout; in this hand bigstack played allin and wasn't worth playing with my AA.

bapfel

bapfel

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I fold them, when there are three cards of the same colour in the flop (or including turn) and one raises two BBs or higher, also, when a street is possible in the same situation

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
That's fair, if you went that far and the money makes that much of a difference for you, then the play is okay. That's basically YOUR One Drop tournament and to be fair, it would be for me too.

But, at the same time, you mention your "disbelief at how many times you see Aces get cracked". We all dwell on and remember the bad beats more than the times you picked up the blinds and antes without incident, and even busting someone.

As for the 3 big stacks all-in pre-flop, I'd seriously consider folding them as well.

You've never played a satellite I assume?

Another "never been in the bubble of a satellite tournament" because that's one spot where you have zero to gain to shove Aces and run the risk of busting.out before winning the prize, whereas if you fold, you are practically assured on a spot.

I've played satellites only a few times in my life, so I didn't think about this type of tournament when I posted my post on this thread. If you play satellites then I understand why you reason like that. Most often, I play tournaments in which the higher the place you take, the more money you will win, and if in such tournaments I will fold AA on the bubble, then I will never take first or second place, therefore I never fold AA on the bubble, like I already wrote.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've played satellites only a few times in my life, so I didn't think about this type of tournament when I posted my post on this thread. If you play satellites then I understand why you reason like that. Most often, I play tournaments in which the higher the place you take, the more money you will win, and if in such tournaments I will fold AA on the bubble, then I will never take first or second place, therefore I never fold AA on the bubble, like I already wrote.

Ah, okay, thank you for clarifying. You are absolutely correct in that in a tournament, you should play to finish first place. But you do also make an excellent point about folding Aces on certain boards, or where you think you may be beat.

saha2000

saha2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, when there are more players in the hand or the flop looks boring, eg 910J, it is worth considering folding AA.

C

chinezu23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Never on preflop. Sometimes on a flushy, straight or potential sets boards,

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously if really concerned with better hands (2 pairs or trips mostly), but also flushes and straights are a concern if the board is wet. Mostly, it is "that feeling" (more clear when playing live). Sometimes that read or "feeling" helps me out a lot. My gut feeling is usually right - might be tough to fold Aces: but I've done it (correctly) a few times before.

fenoz

fenoz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold them only if internet disconnect:)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here was a VERY notable pre-flop FOLDING of Aces, from the PokerStars Big Game by David Fishman (amazing to think this was TEN years ago). Yikes!!!!! Where does the time go?

Here's the link. Again, he's up life changing money here. He got roasted for the play, but he was laughing all the way to the bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nwCOOnA4vk

I just watched this video clip for the first time; truly amazing! Thought the YouTube video may have been clickbait or something, or maybe the dealer mucked his uncapped cards. Turns out that he really did fold pocket Aces preflop! Amazing play once one sees the flop and end-result.

My guess is that Laak appeared strong to him and with one other player before him - he simply did not want to play a three-way big pot (even with Aces). Note that this is more about the format of the show than anything math-based in poker. He was up about 140k in this session (he is not a pro player) and so he simply wanted to fold the entire way (or at least avoid big pots) and collect his profit. Amazing flop for Laak and a cool hand I saw for AA :D

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I throw out aces when the board becomes dangerous. For example, there is a straight draw or a flash draw on the board and the opponent makes a big re-raise. This means that your aces are no longer playing in most cases.

Folding in Poker