When do you fold aces?

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rarely but I have and its mainly during "that feeling" but also sometimes a seat is hot and if they are hitting cards and I get aces and there's a lot of action specially the "hot" seat then i'm very carefull and will fold aces depending on the betting and they have been good folds. also another situation to consider is when playing MTT and in the bubble before making the money. low stacks want to risk it to double up and might get lucky against AA then they cripple you and you are forced to go all in then lose and are out the money.

anyone else have good scenarios where they'll fold aces?

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Assuming you are talking preflop. I would only ever fold AA if it was a satellite close to the bubble and I was assured of finishing in the money. I don't believe in hot seats. I never would fold AA in a MTT because I'm trying to make the final table and I can't justify folding the best starting hand. If I'm ahead on chips I want more if I'm short I need more. Just about the same with KK also.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when there are way too many in the hand or when there alot of suited connectors and straight possibilities

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing heads up with my girlfriend.:D Failing this, I fold if there're 4 cards to either a straight or a flush on the board(MTTs). In multi-way pots i move all-in on the flop no matter what the board shows(deciding my destiny right there). Obviously this do not applies to cash games.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rarely but I have and its mainly during "that feeling" but also sometimes a seat is hot and if they are hitting cards and I get aces and there's a lot of action specially the "hot" seat then i'm very carefull and will fold aces depending on the betting and they have been good folds. also another situation to consider is when playing MTT and in the bubble before making the money. low stacks want to risk it to double up and might get lucky against AA then they cripple you and you are forced to go all in then lose and are out the money.

Know this sounds crazy and goes against the grain but yes have folded AA preflop am not married to that hand if the position play means fold is the better option,
After bubbling do not know how many times with AA preflop if the cash was important to me I would fold it no problem just before the bubble why take a chance of busting when you know that big stack LAG is going to dog your medium stack to the river with KQ suited or whatever and probably get there if a nice cash is guaranteed by folding?
Agree with what the other posters said if it is a satellite seat guaranteed by not playing you can coast into a ticket I fold AA 5 times in a row preflop no problem.:)
Exceptional circumstances $200+ min cash locked up if fold or a recent example in a stake I did not want to let my backer down wanted to 100% guarantee him a profit for backing me,
When read his post 7 decided that I had to fold everything and including AA as is not 100% guaranteed until the bubble burst.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-staking-64/big-11-22-mini-million-hughdhat-468026/

Last edited:
J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aces losses 20% of the time. Folding aces is never easy. But I did it a couple of times I guess.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Two things about what you said.

1. Yes, players do go on heaters, we all do, it's poker, but I'm never letting that deter me when I'm up against someone who's on a rush of cards. If they want to overvalue their hand, I'll happily take all their chips (most of the time - of course I'll lose on occasion), but I'm never going to be afraid to play that hand in the right situation.

2. If I'm on the bubble, and I have Aces, I'm probably never folding that hand pre-flop. I'm playing to win and accumulate chips, and it's not often you're going to be dealt Aces, so take advantage of those spots when you can.

Assuming you are talking preflop. I would only ever fold AA if it was a satellite close to the bubble and I was assured of finishing in the money.

This is probably the ONLY time folding Aces pre-flop is the correct play from an equity standpoint. If you are assured a seat to the target tournament you're playing in the satellite for, it's not going to matter if you finished with 5 big blinds or 25 big blinds, the prize is the same. In this instance, actually playing Aces when you are at risk of losing out on the prize in the satellite is the incorrect play.

Know this sounds crazy and goes against the grain but yes have folded AA preflop am not married to that hand if the position play means fold is the better option,
After bubbling do not know how many times with AA preflop if the cash was important to me I would fold it no problem just before the bubble why take a chance of busting when you know that big stack LAG is going to dog your medium stack to the river with KQ suited or whatever and probably get there if a nice cash is guaranteed by folding?

I suppose if the cash is that significant, it's not terrible that you're folding Aces here. I can't say I love the play, but I do understand. I guess, if I'm going to take an extreme example, the Million Dollar One Drop at the wsop. If I'm dealt Aces pre-flop and I am covered, but I do see someone at risk for their tournament life, and see that they are going to bust, then I would fold, but again, that's an extreme example, one I know I'll never be in.

I

Ivan Zaruba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also often folded AA, but not on the bubble and also on preflop. This situation is a good chance to double your stack, but if you're unlucky, it's not scary - this is not my last tournament. I can fold AA on postflop, when the board is good for the opponent, when there are a lot of draws, etc.

L

luki_jakdo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only if there are 4 colors of a kind on the board!;)

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes,there was something that threw aces...I will answer all in with a call,and in the draw I will look at what is on the Board and who I am playing against...

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will fold AA if the board is very wet, it is possilbe that the opponents complete flush or strange draw or having set and especially when a tight player raises or reraises with big size in two or three round. That is a sign to give up AA.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two things about what you said.

1. Yes, players do go on heaters, we all do, it's poker, but I'm never letting that deter me when I'm up against someone who's on a rush of cards. If they want to overvalue their hand, I'll happily take all their chips (most of the time - of course I'll lose on occasion), but I'm never going to be afraid to play that hand in the right situation.

2. If I'm on the bubble, and I have Aces, I'm probably never folding that hand pre-flop. I'm playing to win and accumulate chips, and it's not often you're going to be dealt Aces, so take advantage of those spots when you can.

This is probably the ONLY time folding Aces pre-flop is the correct play from an equity standpoint. If you are assured a seat to the target tournament you're playing in the satellite for, it's not going to matter if you finished with 5 big blinds or 25 big blinds, the prize is the same. In this instance, actually playing Aces when you are at risk of losing out on the prize in the satellite is the incorrect play.

I suppose if the cash is that significant, it's not terrible that you're folding Aces here. I can't say I love the play, but I do understand. I guess, if I'm going to take an extreme example, the Million Dollar One Drop at the WSOP. If I'm dealt Aces pre-flop and I am covered, but I do see someone at risk for their tournament life, and see that they are going to bust, then I would fold, but again, that's an extreme example, one I know I'll never be in.

Scenario 2,
Does not have to be one drop extreme for me lets pretend for example say Monday you are doing really well turned a $100 deposit on a poker site to $500 and won a $109 ticket for a Sunday major too in a cheap satellite on top of the world happy with the $509 upswing.
Sunday morning you wake up shaking your head in disbelief the amount of times AA got cracked on you all week when it counted looking at $50 balance left on your poker site roll and this $109 ticket for the big game.
10 places before the bubble folding guarantees a min cash of $200 as you have an ok stack but three big stacks are all in preflop before you that have you covered do you call take the coinflip risk or fold and take the $200?
I might fold here without hesitation AA preflop without putting a chip in the pot get my poker site balance up to $250 total guaranteed in this exceptional circumstance as you have a good chance of busting here.
02a3ec644f7f86a98432426fdc506eb9.png

Last edited:
K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Me. Never. I use it when its at its strongest. Come what may. Yes I have lost a few times but the winnings was much more.

M

Movi84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when more than 3 in the hand or seen the connected flop that doesn.t advantages me.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
I may fold aces if:
1- a pair shows on the flop and another player pushes
2- all the flop is of the same suit, and another player pushes.
3- The flop shows straight, such as 6-4-5 and the other player pushes.
4-The other person has a gun.

Dan'O

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the mtt situation my opinion is that no matter you are in the bubble you have to go all in because you make an important leap in the tournament, when they do not equal you it gives you more chips to continue surviving, the ideal is to go all in against piles to lower what you usually want to avoid is high stacks that match because it's so cheap for them, I'd be happy to go all in with small stacks:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning.I´d fold aces when the bubble is really close in a tournament and in a sat , specially if there is a good prize to win and my stack is enough to get it.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes a seat is hot and if they are hitting cards
Gambler's fallacy.
also another situation to consider is when playing MTT and in the bubble before making the money. low stacks want to risk it to double up and might get lucky against AA then they cripple you and you are forced to go all in then lose and are out the money.
OTOH you can win more chips with your aces and then win 2x, 10x, or even 20x or more the value of your mincash depending on the size of the MTT. Winning 20x a minscash is worth occasionally busting in the bubble. With aces it's less than a 20% chance.
Satellite bubbles.

PapelonJede

PapelonJede

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I folaces when there is a flush without my ace or when one is missing for a two-pointed straight.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA I never fold just play them always through olyn it's better to take the blinds than to lose the stack limpit AA is impossible as for me.:bike:

DaaBee

DaaBee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the river has a open ended straight , flush ... or like you feel the force:fight:

DaaBee

DaaBee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
I may fold aces if:
1- a pair shows on the flop and another player pushes
2- all the flop is of the same suit, and another player pushes.
3- The flop shows straight, such as 6-4-5 and the other player pushes.
4-The other person has a gun.

Dan'O

See you at the table Dan - give your game away. PUSH . I willl bring my Under-the-Gun LOL

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When I suspect one opponent raised with KK and another fell on the board or a somebody flush is evident.

Folding in Poker