Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do you think you can ever draw good conclusions about another player after only seeing them play one hand?

I used to draw conclusions about a player's style too quickly, or based on too little information. Opened 5 hands in a row? "Must be LAG" I'd think. Ignoring the fact that sometimes a person can catch 5 strong hands in a row.

I do think that there are times when you can draw conclusions about a player based on a single hand, although I think only if the hand goes to showdown, and only if it is an extreme example of some trait (calling station or maniac, for example).

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Accurate conclusions in one hand, no. Any note taking would need to include the sample size.

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Accurate conclusions in one hand, no. Any note taking would need to include the sample size.
If the first hand of a tourney, one player shoves and another calls, and the shover had 3-2 off, isn't it a pretty strong conclusion that they are a bingo player/maniac? I'd stand by that conclusion pretty strongly. The only other explanation would be a mis-click (for an online game). Or is there some other possible explanation for that behavior that isn't "They're a maniac"?

I mean no conclusion should ever be written in stone, but I stand by the fact that it's a good conclusion.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
take the hand and place it on the equilab. Go testing how the hand behaves vs. villain's range

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
After one hand(or a small sample of hands), you can't really make a conclusion about the type a player is - in your example with 23o, they might just have a bad day and 'throw' away the chips when in most cases is actually a good overall poker player* this doesn't mean that you can't make a note about the 'weird' play but just don't make your future decisions against this player based on 1 previous experience... Still, if similar notes about the same player add up after a few sessions, than it's usually safe to say you have his type of poker player figured out and you can adjust your strategy based on it...

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
A hand says nothing about the player, you need more to be able to decide whether it is a maniac or not. Even if you caught someone with a hand like 23 off, that doesn't mean that he always does it. And maybe he also wants you to think he is a maniac and then to recognize something like that, it's not enough to have seen a hand.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's only extremes that are noticeable after one hand. But to be safe, see if the guy repeats similar behavior.

If some fool shows down 73 and wins a pot with bottom pair by calling 3 bets, then be sure to tag him. Just one hand is enough to know how he plays.

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
After one hand(or a small sample of hands), you can't really make a conclusion about the type a player is - in your example with 23o, they might just have a bad day and 'throw' away the chips when in most cases is actually a good overall poker player* this doesn't mean that you can't make a note about the 'weird' play but just don't make your future decisions against this player based on 1 previous experience... Still, if similar notes about the same player add up after a few sessions, than it's usually safe to say you have his type of poker player figured out and you can adjust your strategy based on it...
I really feel like theory is taking a back seat to practice in this type of response. I think if I didn't make future decisions based on conclusions made from the single hand like in my example, I would be leaving money on the table for the sake of a principle. Should it turn out that future information disconfirms my conclusions, then obviously I have to be able to change my assessment.

Put it this way. If my one-hand assessment is correct most of the time (and I think it is), and I act wisely accordingly (call shoves very wide in cash games, or when ICM considerations allow for in tourneys), then I'm going to make lots more money than I loose when my assessment is wrong. If I sit down at a table, and the same player raises my blind all in first hand, I'm calling with 10s, and I'm confident that I'm going to win that pot 3 out of 4 times. Obviously, if I see the player at the table fold 5 hands pre-flop first, or make normal sized opening bets for a while before making a preflop all in, then I'd be an idiot not to factor in that information. I just think it's dogmatic to not act on a pretty obviously displayed weakness just because it's possible that your assessment is incorrect. It's always possible that your assessment is incorrect. Maybe you played a guy for months or years and he has displayed some exploitable weaknesses in his game, but had a great coach shore those holes up yesterday. The question isn't if you could be wrong, it's if it's likely.

It's no different a mindset from calling an all-in against a lag when you don't have the nuts (you're likely ahead, but maybe not). You're choosing to make an optimal decision, not a risk-free one. Do you really dispute that my example is going to produce an accurate assessment most of the time?

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I didn't really want to dispute your arguments and I actually agree with your points(I especially like the phrase "accurate assessment most of the time" and I think as poker players that's how we should think long term); I've only wanted to mention that I see many of my friends make 1 note on a player based on a small number of hands and take that into account for future games and like you said some exploitable weaknesses can be fixed, that's why I always advise poker players to not be lazy and make more notes on players that play often against you- poker players can improve their game quite fast nowadays if they are willing to put the work/ money into it...

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, one hand is not enough to draw conclusions. There are coincidences and different situations, so in my opinion, at least 10-20 hands should be analyzed.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands