What to Study First!?

Ciro Santos

Ciro Santos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Has Poker evolved so rapidly that the knowledge contained in most books is virtually obsolete? If that's true, where to study?

PockerGod

PockerGod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Has Poker evolved so rapidly that the knowledge contained in most books is virtually obsolete? If that's true, where to study?
Jonathan Little is by far the best beginner poker coach out there. He provides frequently update and informative poker strategy. He provides an unbelievable amount of free poker help, ranging from: YouTube videos, free audiobooks and free poker tools on his website. Once you start making $ with poker you could purchase his premium subscription to his whole poker coaching website. He could turn a baby into a winning poker player!

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I haven't read any old poker books so far, so can't tell if the knowledge is outdated.

But a good starting point of studying would definitely be the CC training course:

It's still fairly new and knowledge is quite general, so definitely not outdated.

Happy studying! ☺️

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Jonathan Little is by far the best beginner poker coach out there. He provides frequently update and informative poker strategy. He provides an unbelievable amount of free poker help, ranging from: YouTube videos, free audiobooks and free poker tools on his website. Once you start making $ with poker you could purchase his premium subscription to his whole poker coaching website. He could turn a baby into a winning poker player!
Couldn't agree more. The way he explains everything, the way he teaches you how to overcome your emotions during play...really makes it fun and a time worthy learning experience.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I've never read books about poker so saying that I can't say that something is outdated there, but I can say that you can take a 30-day course on our forum, it will help you understand poker, you can learn poker on YouTube for a beginner is also a lot of interesting things for new poker participants

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Nowadays, quite a few online sites offer poker training for free! Among other things, here on the CC page you can find a completely high-quality training that I can only recommend to you
: https://www.cardschat.com/poker/strategy/become-a-winning-poker-player/

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any training site will be a big help for a new player, and any basic poker book too, so why not just start with the free one on Cardschat, then find where you struggle so you can fix your leaks, and improve.

Get the basic right, so you know why lose and can fix that.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
study HERE :)
Knowledge may be outdated, but you can always find valuable information in books if you know what you need. But of course, first of all is our free CardsChat course. Good luck :)

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother
Well look, the CardsChat course is honestly very good.
What I recommend because I see that you are Brazilian is to download the course in Pdf and translate it at www.ilovepdf.com then you will understand it well, unless you know how to speak and translate English very well.

Well now I will tell you what I think about the best way to study poker.

I especially have two very important reference players worldwide.

One is the great Doyle Brundson who I have read his books and truly is an open book on poker.

Doyle+Brunson+Profile+Picture.jpg

A man who playing tournaments and cash has kept up to date over the years and at a level of splendor.
As Daniel Negreanu says, Doyle is the link between old poker and modern poker.
He is a man who above all knows how to fold when it's time to fold, and he knows how to raise when it's time to do it. He is a true teacher.

My other reference is my compatriot Nacho Barbero.

timthumb.php

In an interview they ask Nacho how much he studies per day about poker.
Nacho says that he hardly studies. Although he has seen HUDs like Solver and analyzed different questions about variations, he says that his game is based on the collection of practice and information that he has obtained by watching many MTTs live or online, and analyzing variations of how he would have played according to that situation, or seeing surprising hands in which he would have played the same or differently.
And above all he says that in practice is the basis of his game.

For example, Nacho says that he is a great Omaha player. He says that's where he makes the biggest difference to him. He is amazing because being a great Omaha player, he is considered one of the best Hold em players in the world.

The question is, will this be related?

And the answer for me is yes.

I could say that at this moment I am devoting myself almost completely to playing and improving my game in Omaha, which is the variant of poker that I like the most.
But I find that when I play Hold 'em, playing Omaha makes me play a lot better Hold 'em.

This is also a way of learning every day.

As advice I would tell you, since you are a Brazilian brother, that you watch videos of Andre Akkari, Alexandre Gomez, Fabiano Kovalsky and others.

medium_EV48_Alexandre_Gomes_Large_.jpg

m5df83b1301.jpg

I think that you will find a lot of teaching there, more than that both Brazilians and Argentines play a high quality poker, without underestimating other brothers from other countries.

In many things I also speak my Spanish language, I am following Elias Gutierrez better known as ZerosPoker

12-Elias-Zeros.jpg

I really think he is a better online player than live.
And I also think that I have learned many things from him, such as ranges, equity, variables, calls, etc. I think sometimes he seems to me and he is a very personal opinion, he acts too much when the HUD Solver refers to him.
And I see that in many hands, at least before the final hand comes out I, for example, would have folded and would have avoided a big headache, he says "it's fine, I paid well because Solver said that you had to call, or you had to call allin".
I think that when you start playing like this, you don't play anymore, you play Solver.

In addition, the other matter is that, for example, Elias has not yet won anything very important, on the other hand, all the others that I name have won the best in Tournaments.

Greetings brother, I hope it works for your game.
And see you at the tables:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Ciro Santos

Ciro Santos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Thank you friend! I've read a few of his contents, but I'm going to pay more attention to his material now!

I haven't read any old poker books so far, so can't tell if the knowledge is outdated.

But a good starting point of studying would definitely be the CC training course:

It's still fairly new and knowledge is quite general, so definitely not outdated.

Happy studying! ☺️
Thank you friend! I will start this study, and as soon as I get the first positive results, I will post here in celebration and thanks. I hope I don't take too long to make this quoted post! Haha

Nowadays, quite a few online sites offer poker training for free! Among other things, here on the CC page you can find a completely high-quality training that I can only recommend to you
: https://www.cardschat.com/poker/strategy/become-a-winning-poker-player/
Thanks for the tip friend!

Any training site will be a big help to a new player, and so will any basic poker book, so why not start with the free one on Cardschat, then find out where you struggle to fix your spills and improve.

Get the basic right, so you know why to lose and you can fix it.
Thanks for the tip my friend!

You can also take a free daily trial at https://pairrd.com/home and some limited free daily stuff at www.gtowizard.com GL!
Very good, I like it, thanks for the tip my friend!

study HERE:)
Knowledge may be out of date, but you can always find valuable information in books if you know what you need. But of course, first of all it's our free CardsChat course. Good luck:)
Thanks for the tip my friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker books are a great source to gain info but there and many books that are obsolete or have a lot if obsolete information in them. Harrington on Holdem was a bible of poker books at one time. There is still great information in them. The problem is there is a lot on obsolete info as well. As for training sites it really depends on what you want to learn and style you play. More important is how you study what every way you go. You just should not watch a video or read a book and go play. You need to really understand what you are learning and incorporate it into you game.

Cardschat course we have here is a great source for people to improve their game. It's called "Become A Winning Poker Player In 30 Days" and yes in 30 days you will become better. If you really want to learn from this you should really take 60 or 90 days to take the course. Go through a day and write down note. look into you game. Even try it out and ask questions. Then watch the video again. Do you have everything understood and implemented into you game. Do you fully understand the concept. If not go back again until you do. Once your fully getting it then go to the next day. Whether it's a book, training site or any other way you're learning you should wok to fully get and implement the theory you are learning before advancing.

Ciro Santos

Ciro Santos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hello brother
Well look, the CardsChat course is honestly very good.
What I recommend because I see that you are Brazilian is to download the course in Pdf and translate it at www.ilovepdf.com then you will understand it well, unless you know how to speak and translate English very well.

Well now I will tell you what I think about the best way to study poker.

I especially have two very important reference players worldwide.

One is the great Doyle Brundson who I have read his books and truly is an open book on poker.

Doyle+Brunson+Profile+Picture.jpg

A man who playing tournaments and cash has kept up to date over the years and at a level of splendor.
As Daniel Negreanu says, Doyle is the link between old poker and modern poker.
He is a man who above all knows how to fold when it's time to fold, and he knows how to raise when it's time to do it. He is a true teacher.

My other reference is my compatriot Nacho Barbero.

timthumb.php

In an interview they ask Nacho how much he studies per day about poker.
Nacho says that he hardly studies. Although he has seen HUDs like Solver and analyzed different questions about variations, he says that his game is based on the collection of practice and information that he has obtained by watching many MTTs live or online, and analyzing variations of how he would have played according to that situation, or seeing surprising hands in which he would have played the same or differently.
And above all he says that in practice is the basis of his game.

For example, Nacho says that he is a great Omaha player. He says that's where he makes the biggest difference to him. He is amazing because being a great Omaha player, he is considered one of the best Hold em players in the world.

The question is, will this be related?

And the answer for me is yes.

I could say that at this moment I am devoting myself almost completely to playing and improving my game in Omaha, which is the variant of poker that I like the most.
But I find that when I play Hold 'em, playing Omaha makes me play a lot better Hold 'em.

This is also a way of learning every day.

As advice I would tell you, since you are a Brazilian brother, that you watch videos of Andre Akkari, Alexandre Gomez, Fabiano Kovalsky and others.

medium_EV48_Alexandre_Gomes_Large_.jpg

m5df83b1301.jpg

I think that you will find a lot of teaching there, more than that both Brazilians and Argentines play a high quality poker, without underestimating other brothers from other countries.

In many things I also speak my Spanish language, I am following Elias Gutierrez better known as ZerosPoker

12-Elias-Zeros.jpg

I really think he is a better online player than live.
And I also think that I have learned many things from him, such as ranges, equity, variables, calls, etc. I think sometimes he seems to me and he is a very personal opinion, he acts too much when the HUD Solver refers to him.
And I see that in many hands, at least before the final hand comes out I, for example, would have folded and would have avoided a big headache, he says "it's fine, I paid well because Solver said that you had to call, or you had to call allin".
I think that when you start playing like this, you don't play anymore, you play Solver.

In addition, the other matter is that, for example, Elias has not yet won anything very important, on the other hand, all the others that I name have won the best in Tournaments.

Greetings brother, I hope it works for your game.
And see you at the tables:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:
Hello Brother! Thanks for the tips, they were very useful, I'm going to start the CardsChat course.

Indeed, Doyle Brundson is legendary! Excellent reference, by the way, about the also mentioned Negreanu, I'm a big fan of Daniel Negreanu!

You mentioned HUDs with Solver seen by Nacho Barbero, I see a lot of people talking about Solvers and its importance, I'll research more. However, what got me thinking was about Nacho and his Omaha… Excellent question “Is this related?” No idea, I've only ventured into Omaha a few times, but tell me, what do you attribute this relationship to Omaha to?
Now, just out of curiosity, have you heard of Brazilian player Yuri Martins? I've been following him lately!
PS: I don't know if you follow football, but anyway, long live Lionel Messi!

Jamil

Jamil

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Poker does not evolve, but the style of people and play is the evolution

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello Brother! Thanks for the tips, they were very useful, I'm going to start the CardsChat course.

Indeed, Doyle Brundson is legendary! Excellent reference, by the way, about the also mentioned Negreanu, I'm a big fan of Daniel Negreanu!

You mentioned HUDs with Solver seen by Nacho Barbero, I see a lot of people talking about Solvers and its importance, I'll research more. However, what got me thinking was about Nacho and his Omaha… Excellent question “Is this related?” No idea, I've only ventured into Omaha a few times, but tell me, what do you attribute this relationship to Omaha to?
Now, just out of curiosity, have you heard of Brazilian player Yuri Martins? I've been following him lately!
PS: I don't know if you follow football, but anyway, long live Lionel Messi!
Hello brother

Well thanks for the compliments kkkkkk

Let's start at the end of your story. Without a doubt today Messi is the greatest. But the one you have in the photo and Ronaldhino Gaucho dear mommy!!!! One of the best I've seen in my life and I've enjoyed those two boys. El Gordo and Dhino were tremendous, I enjoyed them a lot.

I really don't believe too much in the Argentine/Brazilian rivalry, I really think it's just stupid fanaticism on both sides. Those of us who love soccer love those who play well, and Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldhino, Maradona, Pele, Rivaldo, Kaka, Riquelme, Roberto Carlos, Falcao, Socrates, Zico, Di Stefano, Kempes, Passarella, Fillol, and many more of our countries have made us proud of soccer.

Well regarding Negreanu, ufff yes, when it was the great era of live televised poker, the references were him, Phil Ivey, Phil Hellmuth, Doyle Brundson himself, Jason Mercier, Antonio Esfandiari, and many others. Great players who marked a beautiful era of poker that many of us miss.

Now, regarding Omaha I'll tell you. Omaha is a variant of poker in which you have 4 cards in hand, which you must use the best 2 to form the game with the other 3 from showdown.
The game itself is similar to Hold em with the difference that you are dealt 4 cards in hand.
Why did I tell you if it was related to Omaha and Hold em??? Because in truth in Omaha the most important thing is to know how to read the post flop game very well, and above all play hands with very good combinations in the cards you have in hand.
To give you an example. If you have AAKK in hand, it is already an excellent combination. But maybe you get called by an opponent who has QJs diamonds and Q10s hearts which is also an excellent combination.
Because in Omaha a lot of play is created in the community cards, and it is very feasible to make a flush or a straight normally, and you must know how to read the postflop game very well.
Almost every hand ends in a full showdown and that's where it all comes down to.
Going all-in preflop in Omaha is a real lottery. The highest percentage cards always prevail, but any combination your opponent may have can bring you a big headache.
Imagine that you go all-in with AA in Hold em and many times they pay you with Q10s and they beat you. So imagine going all-in with 4 cards in your hand where you have tons of combinations that can win.
For me, what helps the most about Omaha for Hold em is that since in Omaha you have to know how to calculate very well the mathematical combinations, that is, your odds, and the probable cards of your opponent, that benefits you a lot when playing Hold em.

Well brother, I hope I have complied and we keep in touch.

In case I didn't tell you, my name is Carlos.

Tell me what your name is, since I have many Brazilian brothers here who know their names.

A big hug and blessings;););););)

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
YouTube video, twitch. If you can invest money then training.

A

AmeliaT

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AU
Chips
I haven't read any poker books yet, so I can't say if they are outdated. But I can definitely recommend YouTube. You can watch online games as well as reviews of games that tell how to play, how to properly control emotions, etc.

Ciro Santos

Ciro Santos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Poker books are a great source for information, but there are many books that are obsolete or contain a lot of obsolete information. Harrington on Holdem was once a bible of poker books. There's still a lot of information in them. The problem is that there's also a lot of outdated information. As for the training locations, it really depends on what you want to learn and the style of play. More important is how you study what you do. You just shouldn't watch a video or read a book and go play. You need to really understand what you're learning and incorporate it into your game.

The Cardschat course we have here is a great source for people to improve their game. It's called “Become a winning poker player in 30 days” and yes, in 30 days you'll be better off. If you really want to learn from this, you really should take 60 or 90 days to take the course. Stop by for a day and jot down the note. Look at your game. Even try it out and ask questions. Then watch the video again. You have everything understood and implemented in your game. You fully understand the concept. If it doesn't come back again until you do. Once you fully get it, move on to the next day. Whether it's a book, training site, or any other form of learning, you must work to fully obtain and implement the theory you're learning before moving forward.
Thanks for the tips my friend! I will study the content calmly to learn it correctly, and then put it into practice with precision. The results will be posted here later! Haha

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
You can learn to play from scratch in a few hours, and to fully understand the game you will have to practice regularly. The most affordable way to improve your own game is to discuss hands on the forum.

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is not that it is obsolete there is no exact strategy of how to play poker everyone has their own style but books and strategies serve a lot to take a little of each one is not bad

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i recommend to you search and study about pre-flop ranges, if you is a begginner, this gonna change 50%+ your game

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preflop ranges

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you are proficient in English, you can watch the Cardschat course. Since you are Brazilian, you can watch Felipe Carmanhani's channel and watch his tutorials.

Ciro Santos

Ciro Santos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hello brother

Well thanks for the compliments kkkkkk

Let's start at the end of your story. Without a doubt today Messi is the greatest. But the one you have in the photo and Ronaldhino Gaucho dear mommy!!!! One of the best I've seen in my life and I've enjoyed those two boys. El Gordo and Dhino were tremendous, I enjoyed them a lot.

I really don't believe too much in the Argentine/Brazilian rivalry, I really think it's just stupid fanaticism on both sides. Those of us who love soccer love those who play well, and Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldhino, Maradona, Pele, Rivaldo, Kaka, Riquelme, Roberto Carlos, Falcao, Socrates, Zico, Di Stefano, Kempes, Passarella, Fillol, and many more of our countries have made us proud of soccer.

Well regarding Negreanu, ufff yes, when it was the great era of live televised poker, the references were him, Phil Ivey, Phil Hellmuth, Doyle Brundson himself, Jason Mercier, Antonio Esfandiari, and many others. Great players who marked a beautiful era of poker that many of us miss.

Now, regarding Omaha I'll tell you. Omaha is a variant of poker in which you have 4 cards in hand, which you must use the best 2 to form the game with the other 3 from showdown.
The game itself is similar to Hold em with the difference that you are dealt 4 cards in hand.
Why did I tell you if it was related to Omaha and Hold em??? Because in truth in Omaha the most important thing is to know how to read the post flop game very well, and above all play hands with very good combinations in the cards you have in hand.
To give you an example. If you have AAKK in hand, it is already an excellent combination. But maybe you get called by an opponent who has QJs diamonds and Q10s hearts which is also an excellent combination.
Because in Omaha a lot of play is created in the community cards, and it is very feasible to make a flush or a straight normally, and you must know how to read the postflop game very well.
Almost every hand ends in a full showdown and that's where it all comes down to.
Going all-in preflop in Omaha is a real lottery. The highest percentage cards always prevail, but any combination your opponent may have can bring you a big headache.
Imagine that you go all-in with AA in Hold em and many times they pay you with Q10s and they beat you. So imagine going all-in with 4 cards in your hand where you have tons of combinations that can win.
For me, what helps the most about Omaha for Hold em is that since in Omaha you have to know how to calculate very well the mathematical combinations, that is, your odds, and the probable cards of your opponent, that benefits you a lot when playing Hold em.

Well brother, I hope I have complied and we keep in touch.

In case I didn't tell you, my name is Carlos.

Tell me what your name is, since I have many Brazilian brothers here who know their names.

A big hug and blessings;););););)
Hello my friend Carlos! My name is Ciro, just like on the profile! How have you been?
Sorry for the delay in responding to your message, I haven't been online much in the last week, but here I am to resume our conversation...
I agree with your position on disproportionate rivalry in football; in fact there are always those who extrapolate and take fanaticism to the extreme, which is sad. I hope for positive feelings in both directions and that there can always be a positive rapport, which is always very productive. Big names in football mentioned by the colleague, this is what should be valued, football well played, and not the passport of the players. Now I'm going to tell you, What a cup final you gave us, it went down in history. congrats, awesome!

About Negreanu, I follow his channel on youtube, I always watch his content, I started his poker course, but I'm still in class 2.

Omaha seems to improve readability, I'll play more seriously, it seems more interesting to me now!

Nice to meet you friend, hope we can keep in touch big hug!

Ciro Santos

Ciro Santos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
If you are proficient in English, you can watch the Cardschat course. Since you are Brazilian, you can watch Felipe Carmanhani's channel and watch his tutorials.
Thanks friend, I follow Felipe Carmanhani, very good!