what makes you so good at poker? (long)

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All true, but the one trait that really helps is being able to tell your opponents patterns.. How much does he bet when he has top cards versus suited connectors versus just a sb that he wants to "protect" This is difficult when you are at a table that folds alot which keeps you from seeing others hands for a long period. This is where the patience comes in. If he bets big, and you have not seen a final hand from him, he may be a donk, he may have a big pocket pair, or he may have a low pair. Until he shows his cards a couple times, be cautious.

This is a great point. A definite situation where your patience can pay off. Being able to sit there while not in a hand and watch the action is something that you need to do. Most players just want to get to the next hand so bad that they try to occupy their time with other things until it's their action again. That's a huge mistake. You miss valuable reads and lose all sorts of information if you are not being patient and focused on what's going on around you at the table.

Snowmobiler relies heavily on his reads at the tables. He remains focused and studies his opponents and I'm sure he will attest to fact that it's a big part of what, not only made him a better player but a winning player as well.

Last edited:
Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bazerk.

I searched around to try to find you some info on woman poker players and aggression and i found this link to a short article with a link to a book that you might be interested in. Have a look and let me know what you think.

[old link~tb]

Last edited by a moderator:
joe steady

joe steady

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting a tracking program with a HUD definitely helps a lot with the "well timed" part of being aggressive. Once you get used to it and start to get a feel for the information, you basically have a graphical representation of a players tendencies, and that's a HUGE help when you're trying to put them on a range.

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bazerk.

I searched around to try to find you some info on woman poker players and aggression and i found this link to a short article with a link to a book that you might be interested in. Have a look and let me know what you think.

[old link~tb]

Thanks Chiefer, it's grealy appreciated >>> good article. I'll wander around her site for other good info that applies for/to the female player. May invest in her book after obtaining a poker tracker.

One of my mantras happens to be 'Daniel Negreneau sez I can, so I can'...LOL (even tho he doesn't say/write it until nearly the end).

http://www.a2date.com/article_qa.html?aid=2

Last edited by a moderator:
kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Over aggression can get you into a bad spot, or get you knocked out of a game...
Lesson learned!!!

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since most of the responses have been about aggression issues, I figured we get into that a bit more and the advantages of have tracking software and a HUD.

When I first started using a HUD, I didn't have a clue as to what I was looking for or at. I knew what VPIP and PFR was but I never really knew how to use that information to my advantage. Learning how most definitely help with my aggression factor. It helped me pick my spots better and show me who I can and can't get over aggressive with. A lot of poker is all about timing. ie "well timed aggression". With a HUD, it takes a lot of the guess work out.

You will know that you can steal from someone who is running 5/1/0 with a 0 3bet percentage and vice versa. Stealing from someone who is 55/31/2 and a 5 3bet percentage is not a good idea. You will be able to pick out the decent players from the donkeys a lot of times, just by looking at their stats. Of course it helps to have a decent sample size of hands to go on, but you can usually get a decent idea with anywhere from 50 to 100 hands IMO.

Now, using a HUD is not 100 percent fool proof as we all know. Sometimes the villain wakes up with a hand, or simply decided that he is going to take a stand. If the villain plays back at you or just flats you, you can reasonably put him on a decent hand and then you can proceed with caution.

I found that when I knew the villains numbers, it helped me be more aggressive with my betting and made me feel more comfortable sticking bets out there. I've had to lick my wounds on more than a few occasions relying on my HUD, but more times then not, it will win you money.

Knowing what's going on around is the the key to playing poker successfully. Having the software is a huge step in doing so. You will be more aware of players tendencies and overall quality of play. It will more than pay for itself with the money you win by using it correctly but also with the knowledge you gain by studying yourself and your opponents.

Once you feel comfortable with your surroundings, you will find yourself being more aggressive, much like in life, the more comfortable you are doing your job, the more aggressive and competent you become at it.

Last edited:
bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^. Okay, okay...TriggaLos & Chiefer have convinced me to get a HUD >>> test driving the 15-day trial version of HEM...still trying to figure out how to use the darn thing but decided to take the shortcut to well-timed aggession (vs the long & winding road I have been on). Thank you both!

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^. Okay, okay...TriggaLos & Chiefer have convinced me to get a HUD >>> test driving the 15-day trial version of HEM...still trying to figure out how to use the darn thing but decided to take the shortcut to well-timed aggession (vs the long & winding road I have been on). Thank you both!

If you are having trouble with HEM, PM me and I can help you. We can set up a sweat session. I've helped quite a few CCers set up their tracking software.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are having trouble with HEM, PM me and I can help you. We can set up a sweat session. I've helped quite a few CCers set up their tracking software.

Bazerk,

Take him up on this offer if you need to. Trigg has sweat me on more than a few occasion and I have always yielded positive results. I'm glad you decided to take the plunge. Keep us updated as to how it goes. Remember that If you don't like HEM, Pokertracker also has a 60 day free trial. I might suggest trying both to see what you like and what you feel comfortable with. There are arguments for both. Good luck and enjoy!

joe steady

joe steady

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good points about the tracking software, Cheifer. I have 2 suggestions to add:
1. Don't add a ton of stats to the HUD all at once. Start with a few, understand what you're looking at and how it helps, then add more once you've had time to digest.
2. After you've played a couple hundred hands, go look at your own stats. What hands win you the most money? What lose the most? From what position? It can be a real eye-opener and a quick way to spot leaks in your game.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good points about the tracking software, Cheifer. I have 2 suggestions to add:

1. Don't add a ton of stats to the HUD all at once. Start with a few, understand what you're looking at and how it helps, then add more once you've had time to digest.

That's a great point, thank you for mentioning that. Using a HUD at first can be a bit overwhelming if you don't know what you are looking at. Keep it simple to start and as you get more comfortable, add more stats to your arsenal.

2. After you've played a couple hundred hands, go look at your own stats. What hands win you the most money? What lose the most? From what position? It can be a real eye-opener and a quick way to spot leaks in your game.

I would suggest anywhere from 10 to 15 thousand hands before reviewing your stats. A couple hundred isn't really going to give you a very good estimate of where you are at. It's fairly easy to go on a heater over the course of a couple hundred or even or couple thousand hands. Log as many as you can and be patient.

:D

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow.
How did i miss this thread, i guess the forum reorg maked me miss this.

just wanted to say great post Chiefer.

joe steady

joe steady

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would suggest anywhere from 10 to 15 thousand hands before reviewing your stats. A couple hundred isn't really going to give you a very good estimate of where you are at. It's fairly easy to go on a heater over the course of a couple hundred or even or couple thousand hands. Log as many as you can and be patient.

good point, I was just thinking about what she could get in during the trials. either way, get in to the habit early of going over your own stats.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good point, I was just thinking about what she could get in during the trials. either way, get in to the habit early of going over your own stats.

Exactly. This is great advice. Make it a habit early and soon it will become second nature to review your sessions. You will find spots that you could have been more aggressive and vice versa. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had by reviewing your play.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great Post Chiefer,

I am a Recreational Player who makes a wee bit online.
I mostly play Mtts and small amount of cash games and I use PT3 and have to say it is invaluable even in tourneys. It's easy to get read on who is loose and who is tight and it helps to lay down a good hand when your raised by a 8/0 Rock. It helps when I can take notes on some one who is loose 45/15 playing K/6 suited from early position.

1. Something that CC has helped me to do is try and put a range on what the others may be holding. I am actually trying to do this for every hand I now play.

2. It's ok to lay some good hands down when you think you may be beat.

Great Post Chiefer

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chiefer

Very nice post, well thought out and very accurate.

:cool:

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Awesome!!!!! This is the reason I keep coming back to CC. Posts/threads like this one. I am one of the most patient people you will ever meet. I can't even remember tilting. Take that back, last week when my Aces got cracked by Queens in a live tourney at the final table.
I got all three volumes of "Harrington on Hold'em" for this last Christmas. I have read #1 ,#3 and most of #2. These have helped with my "aggressiveness" tremendously. I will be getting HEM very soon too. I really intend on improving my game, one step at a time. Patiently.
I would like to give my 2 cents regarding patience in selecting the hands to play. Try this exercise. get into a freeroll and play the way you usually do. Take note as to when you get knocked out of the tourney. Now, again get into another similar freeroll, and sit out the entire tourney. Take note how far you got without even playing a single hand. I was placing better and not even playing. This was a real eyeopener when I first started playing. I realized that less is better.

Keep up the great work here and I look forward to more Eyeopening Threads. Thanks Cheifer

Jodieblonde

Jodieblonde

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol, thanks for posting "long". I think that helped me read your entire post. I can't think of anything to add and agree with what your wrote. Enjoyed reading it. However, I've got to admit, I've never felt like puking!

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Bazerk,

Take him up on this offer if you need to. Trigg has sweat me on more than a few occasion and I have always yielded positive results. I'm glad you decided to take the plunge. Keep us updated as to how it goes. Remember that If you don't like HEM, Pokertracker also has a 60 day free trial. I might suggest trying both to see what you like and what you feel comfortable with. There are arguments for both. Good luck and enjoy!

Yowza, an offer + a referral in the same day...how lucky can a gal get?! I may take you up on the sweat session TriggaLos, if so, it'll hafta be a perspiration session tho (since girls perspire vs sweat :p). HEM does seem to be pretty straightforward (I've had the opp to use a SQL DB previously in a work environment); initially I was having issues with the download since my Op Sys = Vista (& ended up running an MS Fix to correct the err).

ATM, I'm reviewing absoluthamm's Stat Guide https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-software-tools-61/special-1k-post-holdem-manager-stat-166475/ to determine which factors are key for my current skill level. Thus far I'm liking the M, VP$IP, Agg Factor, PFR...still reviewing the other Stat options. I would like to streamline the HUD as much as possible, the table is looking a little 'busy' for my preferences.

I'm also playing around with the colors & fonts as aethestics are important to the female species (ie: to guys, red = red; to girls, red = red spectrum >> crimson red, tomatoe/tomato red, brick red, etc...why else do you think we hafta have so many shoes :p). Additionally, I'm wandering around HEM's Quick Start Guides.

After a bit of research, I've opted to not test drive PT3...after the trial period is over I'll probably be investing in HEM; I like how the Omaha Mgr option is integrated into the NLH version.

I was able to import ~19K hands to familiarize myself with the analyses' tools; I found out how to save HHs back @ the end of Jan due to other software I was trying out (non-poker tracker) so I should be good to go during the trial period.

joe steady

joe steady

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was able to import ~19K hands to familiarize myself with the analyses' tools; I found out how to save HHs back @ the end of Jan due to other software I was trying out (non-poker tracker) so I should be good to go during the trial period.

Excellent - you're not starting from scratch. As previously mentioned, the more the better.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bazerk.

You mentioned that the HUD makes your table look too busy. I thought the same thing at first. You will quickly get used to it and eventually, if you don't have your hud up, you find that your table feels sorta naked with out it.

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bazerk.

You mentioned that the HUD makes your table look too busy. I thought the same thing at first. You will quickly get used to it and eventually, if you don't have your hud up, you find that your table feels sorta naked with out it.

Always trying to get women naked or feel naked. I love the effort you put out buddy. Geggity Geggity Gooo:D