What I have recently learned about poker!

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,
I have been playing a lot of poker online and losing money. Not a lot of money but $50 a month or so. I have been reading a book called The Course by Ed Miller. I have been getting a lot of "bad beats" I would play hands like 87o and flop a straight and by the river would be all in and the other player would have a flush. the last time the guy played KJs and won. Of course, I couldn't admit that it was my fault for playing a crap hand. but I have been going over my hand plays and every time I have lost it was with hands like this even suited ones would be beaten by better holdings. I am going to go back to what I know is a better range for me and stop listening to these Gurus telling me that it is ok to play 87s when after looking at databases with 10000 of 1000 of hand and seeing that hands like this over time are losing hands. I think I am going to play what is good for me and I know to be good hands. I looked at databases with years of hands and these hands that I am losing to over time are losing hands. I think I need to stop listening to gurus on what hands to play and define my own range. I can listen to some of the other advice they have but I need to define my own range. Have my own range that is good for me. Every time I have done that I win. I got to play my range not the range others say I should have. thanks for reading.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're talking about ABC poker with 6% range?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi guys,
I have been playing a lot of poker online and losing money. Not a lot of money but $50 a month or so. I have been reading a book called The Course by Ed Miller. I have been getting a lot of "bad beats" I would play hands like 87o and flop a straight and by the river would be all in and the other player would have a flush. the last time the guy played KJs and won. Of course, I couldn't admit that it was my fault for playing a crap hand. but I have been going over my hand plays and every time I have lost it was with hands like this even suited ones would be beaten by better holdings. I am going to go back to what I know is a better range for me and stop listening to these Gurus telling me that it is ok to play 87s when after looking at databases with 10000 of 1000 of hand and seeing that hands like this over time are losing hands. I think I am going to play what is good for me and I know to be good hands. I looked at databases with years of hands and these hands that I am losing to over time are losing hands. I think I need to stop listening to gurus on what hands to play and define my own range. I can listen to some of the other advice they have but I need to define my own range. Have my own range that is good for me. Every time I have done that I win. I got to play my range not the range others say I should have. thanks for reading.

It may not the advise of the gurus on what cards you need to play. It just maybe how the hands are played. This game is simple to learn but not a game to be mastered. You need to make the best choices you can based on the info you have. Playing the junk hand like 87o and flopping the straight is not all you need to look at. A flop of 9, T, J does give you a straight but it losing to KQ already. the flop is all Hearts you maybe loosing already. The river pairs the board he may have trips or a full house now. What you may need to look at is how you play post flop more. I dont know how the hand you played went or what you lost so I cant say more but there maybe more to this story and the problems you are having.

2 or 3 days ago I had a straight on the river. After his bet I needed to call or raise/jam. Before I bet and or called I thought about what has so far happened and there was a hand that could have me beat and was logical the way the hand played. I went for the call as it really was played that he had the better possible hand. I called and went on to finish 3rd in this tournament. Why did I get 3rd? I called and did not loose my entire stack to his flopped nut straight.

While I do advise you should work on a range that's yours, being a bit tight at 1st would be a better option as you learn the game. I do advise really working on your post flop play even more. This is where the expensive mistake are made. Example, AA you raise preflop and get 2 callers. The flop is JT7 2 hearts. You cbet and one player raises and the 2nd 4 bets. Do you call? You have aces. You are drawing pretty dead to 98. There are 2 pairs and 3 possible sets there. How many people 4 bet on this flop and what do they have. So many people will jam aces here and be shocked at there lost hand. Your aces look pretty bad here.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
What I have learned ... is that every day you have to educate yourself better ... and that each time the possibility of winning or losing a hand ... will depend a lot on the reading you have of your opponents ... that's where the key is ...

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, of course, you've read the advice of the gurus that they use for themselves. You must have your own personal strategy for the game, do not repeat after someone else. And over time, everyone's attitude and tactics to the game change in different directions. This process is permanent.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all these tips from books do not work very well at micro stakes, as if it has its own atmosphere

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

Yeah, 87o is not a great place to start. I believe we must stay out of trouble by not playing these types of hands, unless of course, we are the player at the table causing the trouble. There is a correct way to play 87o and an incorrect way to play it. I have won a hand with 72o, but does that mean I should write a book about how to win with 72o? It is certainly never going to be hand I would want to invest in. I agree that setting our ranges to give us the best chance of success is an important first step. Understanding our equity and post-flop situation is the next step.

Good Luck and God Bless.

7thseal

7thseal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best advice can be taken from Kenny Rogers. You gotta know when to fold 'em, know when to hold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run!

D

ddsnoops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main think I have learned about Poker is you need "LUCK" !!!
You can be the best but you still need some luck every once and a while

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 78s sometimes in position and it's not costing me very much to do so. However, like what has already been said, you need to work on your game, and what works for you, not what someone tells you will work for you. And as I read your post, I see you already intend to do that, so GL to you.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
I agree with the above, without luck, the strategy does not work, yesterday I watched YouTube, that's where the luck is

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The connector draws must match your range of card openings at the table and in position.Many people make mistakes by playing them constantly in any hand.You probably have to understand that only with top hands you will not win.Poker has changed its rules .Our mistake is that we have not learned to feel the opponent and the situation at the table.My game is also proof of that.