What are the first 5 things you do when you look at your cards?

Sergiy777

Sergiy777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Somersault.
2. Tango Dancing.
3. Tequila Shot.
4. Sing You Never Know, You Never Know...
5. Sex With Dealer.

V

Vonick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A long time ago I heard a player (I think it was Phil Galfond) when talking about the thought process of which action to take:

Completely paraphrasing here
"I ask myself if I should bet/raise, call/check, or fold, always in that order because aggression should be first on your mind and you just go down the aggression ladder."

That's probably way off but you get the idea. It's something that enters my mind a lot. Of course this doesn't completely apply to your question but it tends to be what I do throughout the hand.

phil is absolutely right.i love this phrase!

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

wait to see what will put others
if my good cards checks only
then only pay
if they do not check and I picked lift
and at length to bet all

eueu

eueu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
First I think if these cards are good, according to I think if I will increase or check, third, I see the attitude of each opponent, fourth, depending on their action I paid or increase and fifth, if any of them call strong I think Whether it's worth to fold or not.

itarus

itarus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

I am a very new beginner (played some freerolls and play money cash games), but other than that I am fresh and excited to start learning. My questions is, what are the first 5 things you do when you first get your cards? ...

1. I see and appreciate their cards.
2. I am looking for where the button.dealer button.
3. I look around opponents.
4. assess Blinds.
5. decide how, when and how much to bet.

*I continue to play as the circumstances will develop!

Last edited:
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Have an idea before you get the cards what hands you will play in that position vs the set of villans, with the effective stack sizes, and your tourney equity.
2. Watch your opponents who act before you and try to put them on a range based on their action.
3. Assess what bet size is appropriate with the villans, stacks, tourney equity, position, etc.
4. Understand the tourney structure and when the blinds move up.
5. Look at other players reactions to your action.