What do you think of online poker courses?

D

Dellamora999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the time there are advertisements for courses by professional players promising to improve your game, teach you winning tactics and strategies, but I believe that all this content can be found for free with a little research and effort, what do you think? Do you know any that are really recommendable?

F

firerain

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would agree about reviewing Cardschat 30-day poker course for beginners or players who need a refresher.

Youtube does have good poker instruction but there are videos that may have outdated strategies. The other thing with youtube is to know with which videos would help with your poker leaks.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone learns differently. For some, online courses are perfect; others would rather hire a coach in-person; others still would simply learn alone with a solver and research. There isn't really any right or wrong answer as long as you are doing something to actively improve your game.

It is more about discovering your "learning style" and sticking with it to learn what you can :)

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to learn basic strategies before signing up for most of those sites or you're wasting your time and money learning from those sites when you can get that stuff for free off the internet or in a old poker book.

If you want to sign up for a site them make sure the site has something that can evaluate your skill level so you know where you are and to let you know if you're progressing.

A major part of learning poker will come from experience and not from all the book and video learning you do. You have to learn things but the next step will be learning when and when not to apply those concepts!!

Its like learning math where you can watch endless amounts of videos and read about concepts but if you're not actually doing problems or you don't know what concept to apply to a problem then you still won't understand what you're doing regardless of all the time spent learning.

That's what a lot of folks playing poker just don't get.

And that's why I see a lot of people saying this strategy is outdated or it doesn't work because most of them don't know who they're playing and when to apply concepts while others think they mastered material after one or two readings of a book or watching a video and they still really don't understand what they're doing.

It will not be a get rich scheme whatever path you choose.

GL

Last edited:
M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t believe any of them teach you to be a winning player. WAY too much time is spent, “teaching,” things that don’t make any difference to your bottom line like balancing your range, triple barreling and garbage like that. You either have the best hand or you don’t. I think the vast majority of training sites INTENTIONALLY mislead their subscribers.

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t believe any of them teach you to be a winning player. WAY too much time is spent, “teaching,” things that don’t make any difference to your bottom line like balancing your range, triple barreling and garbage like that. You either have the best hand or you don’t. I think the vast majority of training sites INTENTIONALLY mislead their subscribers.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, its quite naive to think, the best content is offered for free, especially considering how much value it can provide to people playing high stakes. But of course that does not mean, that all paid content is worth the price being charged for it. Its just like any other market really. Buyer beware.

Also some products can be worth the money for some people but maybe not you. If you are relatively new to poker and playing in the micros, then trying to learn very advanced strategies can do more harm than good, because these strategies are not optimal for the games, you actually play in.

There is no point in making a big check-raise on the river with a counterfeited two pair trying to represent a full house, if your opponent is going to call you with ace high, because your raise is the price of a cup of coffee, and he is just playing for fun. And this is where, free content like the CC 30 day course is usefull, because its made for the games, most people actually play.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
If you are a casual lower stakes poker player, then yeah most of what you need to be decently competitive at that level you can get for free with some google research.

But for anything more, to crack into mid to higher tier poker stakes, you need the content behind the pay wall to help you out.

That is how those poker programs and studies are mostly conceived.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are very nice online courses, for free you can find some basic concepts, sometimes intermediate, but for any advanced, you'll need to pay, unless you prefere reading, and there you can find good articles in forums, just like here.
But not all online courses are great, some of them, are overated and too pricy, for what you get. The best is to find ppl to study with, or a coach, the first is difficult, I find myself working with one person like 1 week, and then he stops playing poker, or studying, same the next week, so not easy to find motivated ppl, the second choice costs a lot. Good poker coaches can take up to 1k/h , but you still can find some nice coaches with 50$/h , they won't take less, unless you know them personnally, as they would prefer make it at poker tables. So the online courses are very nice medium.

HTML

HTML

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TM
Chips
there is also a lot to learn here