What do you recommend that I study about poker to improve?

V

voltyyy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
I have 1 year of experience playing but now I want to get a higher level and improve my game

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have 1 year of experience playing but now I want to get a higher level and improve my game
CardsChat has a free poker course....

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now there is a lot of poker literature, but in general it is already quite outdated, I would advise you to watch videos and streams of famous players, there is much more relevant information, you can also work with solvers or hire a coach

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think you need to learn everything on the CardsChat forum, there is a lot of training here if you are fluent in English then start watching video lessons so quickly you'll understand everything

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I learn by watching streams of successful poker players and videos of major poker tournaments.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course, you need to move forward, a year of the game is quite a long time

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One book called: The Mental Game of Poker: Proven Strategies for Improving Tilt Control, Confidence, Motivation, Coping with Variance, and More...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have been playing poker for many years & started playing online in 2007 and I am still asking myself this question.
It really depends upon what level you're currently at ... AND what type(s) of games you're interested in playing (or are playing).
1 yr. in is still quite new to the game. I'd suggest finding one format and sticking with it for awhile until you get good at it. (or competent).
Myself, I started off in micro MTT's and SNG's... and then graduated to STT-SNG (single table sit 'n go).
I studied that format, read books, watched training videos and then played a bunch... then did it again (rinse & repeat).
Part of my study included marking certain hands to go back & check later (quite often in SnG play that meant checking out calling & shoving ranges... ie. if I was making profitable calls or not (while accounting for ICM))
I really enjoyed this format for awhile as I could quickly see my results improving dramatically in correlation to how much I was studying. I also liked math & strategy stuff so it was great.
It began to become boring for me so I then moved toward MTT-SnG... namely the 27-man SnG's and the 45mans (regular speed, back on Fulltilt). The strategy in these was a bit different and afforded one to play more short handed spots. I also found them to be much more profitable than STT-SNG.

After a bit I gravitated towards MTT Satellites. FTP had many back then with great formats. A player could easily just play satellites and could make a living at it (in micro/Low stakes).

I settled in on MTT's after awhile but had always included them to a degree. Something about MTTs that make them more fun then other formats BUT again... it requires many adjustments which in turn meant a lot more studying (for me at the time this meant > more books, more training vids., more calculations.... and MORE PLAYING!).

For the past 7 years I've been playing cash tables. Something I would've thought was extremely boring at one point in my poker playing.
Today I find following a couple streamers is quite helpful but maybe even more so for myself is studying the pool of players I am playing against regularly (it doesn't take long to see who the regulars are). Finding optimal times to play... and if choosing to play at other times > drop down in stakes during those times (when it's not as juicy).

I'm currently about to dive into playing a LOT of MTT's. It's been quite awhile since I've done this (but have tried occasionally but only putting in maybe 20 to 25 games per day and playing very sporadically). I hope to be playing 3 to 4 days/week and to put in ~10+ hrs. on at least 3 of those days and to spend at least 4hrs. on studying 'away from the tables'
I want to do well! So I ask myself (again)
What should I study? (I know many spots I need work on but I feel I want to do something with a broader approach).
I have the RYE Expert Masterclass course & it's something I want to work through from start to finish. I've also got a few new books and some material from BBZ. All that is left is time & motivation.

gl on your journey!

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Learn poker math
2. Watch poker streams and notice the logic of decision making
3. Just stay calm in case of setbacks.

I try to follow these rules.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, I believe that the fundamental thing to learn is the preflop ranges of each position. Secondly, study how to play in late positions, CO, BU, SB and BB. On youtube there are replays of the bCp- Poker Replays, which has revealed cards and we can see how the best players make the plays in each situation, and try to understand why he made that play and not just copy the play, after I started watching these final tables my game improved a lot. I watch excellent poker players on twitch and I see that they defend the BB a lot, it's where I make the most mistakes I don't defend so much, learning to defend the BB is the difference between winning and winning a lot. Poker has no secret, it's studying and practicing.

F

FrizzaoR

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Cardschat course is a very well start to get better.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
For me the first thing you need to have to play poker is patience, discipline and concentration.
To improve the game the course of our community is very interesting, I have learned a lot from it
After books like for example I have read some of Doyle Brunson, where most of him tells stories of games for me a legend in poker. Plus there are plenty of other poker books to read.
Watching the best players play on YouTube is really a great learning experience.
After trial and error is also a learning, in daily practice if one does not have the foolishness to recognize their own mistakes, and that everything that happens to us is due to bad luck, we are really in serious trouble.
It also helped me a lot to watch televised MTT.
Here in the forum you can post your hands well explained, so that colleagues who have enough experience in poker can comment on them and you can learn about them.
Well not much more friend, I think that in this game we all learn something new every day.
greetings friend:):):):giggle::giggle::giggle:

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study about, range, buy, position, bankroll, how to play position, range reading and online card variation.