What do you do to build discipline?

CarlosLemarDixon

CarlosLemarDixon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Cards Chat community. During this pandemic I have been able to set back and really brush up on my game and have found myself playing so well at times then calling all in bets with 67s on the BTN. Lol
My question is what kinda practices are you guys doing to help stay focused especially when playing long sessions? Thanks

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Cards Chat community. During this pandemic I have been able to set back and really brush up on my game and have found myself playing so well at times then calling all in bets with 67s on the BTN. Lol
My question is what kinda practices are you guys doing to help stay focused especially when playing long sessions? Thanks

Thank you for posting

What you describe is when we stop using our rational mind and react emotionally. It is tilt.
Read Jared Tendler's books "The Mental Game of Poker Vol 1 and 2.

Hope this helps
:):)

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before the start of the session, I write down a plan of action for the game on a piece of paper. That is, what actions should I take during the game. If I feel tired, looking at the list helps me stay on track with my game plan.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both above are excellent advice. Jared Tendler's books give you some great insight into how to mentally prepare and stay sharp. Things in there you likely never thought of that will seem obvious once you read them.

Mentally preparing is a common thing I hear pros do. Its not just sitting down at a table. Just like sports players warm up before a game, its best to get your mind warmed up before a game of poker. This will help to have longer, more effective sessions.

Lastly I would start keep track of when you find you start to lose focus and discipline. Take note how far into these session it is. Once a pattern emerges, set a timer for yourself prior to that and use it as a "wake up" call to evaluate yourself and refocus your game.

Finally, take advantage of the breaks. I don't just mean not playing poker, I mean physically get out of the chair, walk around, think about anything other than poker. This helps give you brain a break. If you play cash and don't have these breaks, schedule one for yourself periodically or if you find that you are "card dead"

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I NEVER SEEK A LOT TO DISCIPLINE MYSELF IN POKER, BECAUSE I USE MORE PER HOBBY

K

kidpoker111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should never play when you are tired, it's better to cut hours then to go full tilt because of making mistakes cuz you are tired.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of discipline is patience and getting accustomed to how often premium hands actually show up (pretty rare). I don't do it so much now, but when I started out, there was this poker 'drill' I would practice by myself...

Take any 52 standard deck of cards and shuffle them. Then deal yourself two cards. The key with this drill is to treat them like you would cards just dealt to you in a real game. You can even imagine a real game going on and the dealer just dealt you those cards. See your hole cards? Is it pocket Aces? No? Fold it. It could be 72o, or it could be QQ, but you fold EVERY hand until you pick up Aces.

After you fold, shuffle the deck and deal yourself another two cards while repeating this process of visualizing yourself in an actual game.

Finally, you pick up AA. Might be just a few hands if you are lucky, or it might be half an hour later. Now that you have the coveted AA...fold that hand too! The drill is complete when you fold AA.

Yeah this sounds time consuming and silly, but you'll be surprised at your patience and discipline after doing this drill every now and then and especially so if you really visualize the game and treat it like you were just dealt those cards. I'm not trying to turn you into a NIT, but you'll "feel" a strange feeling folding hands like AKs or QQ. At first you might feel like, "nooo..." as you let them go, but eventually you'll be able to fold them without any hesitation.

In a real game, of course you'd likely play these premium hands (they don't come around that often, so we must make use of them), but this drill will teach a lot of preflop discipline and make you more open to folding in real game spots you should be tightening up. Perhaps on the money bubble with a small stack, or maybe a mountain of chips to your immediate left.

Don't be too critical of this drill until you try it out a few times; it really can help build some folding discipline and similarly discipline with choosing what cards to play and when.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I listen to meditation music while I play. I found it keeps me relaxed and mellowed out when I play but it also has helped me focus on the games I am playing.

If you are having issues staying focused maybe you should look at different versions of the game. Look for tournament with smaller fields and gaurentes would allow the game to be shorter for you. Also look at the late registration times. Some are 4 hours + long and playing those can be a marathon. You can also look into SNG games. Depending on the site you play you can play as small as 6 player games or as much as 180 player games. The smallest one are done in a hour and the 180 usually were done in 3-4 hours. You can also look into turbo games. I play in one that has over 500 players and is done in under 3 1/2 hours.