what better loose or tight?

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
which of the forms of gambling is more efficient, tight (25% -) or loose, you also usion 3bte with that range of hand?

L

Lexxx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both can be efficients! There´s no one better than the other.

BuvA7

BuvA7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play loose - means i must see what flop brings, offcorse if my chips can cover every bet i would follow, then in the late stage of tournament i play tight. No bluffs not my style :) .

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think one style is more effective than the other. I think the effectiveness of any style is dependent upon the player and his understanding of the game and his opponents. For instance a loose player can take advantage of certain boards because he knows that a tight player wouldn't be calling raises with the kind of hand that would have connected with it. At the same time, because of the loose player's willingness to play a wider range, it's hard to know whether he connected with the board or not.

While LAG and TAG styles both have the aggressive part in common, it is my opinion that the loose players tend to be more aggressive. This is because the loose player could be holding anything. Sure he might be holding small cards that connect with raggedy flops. But then again, it's not like he's going to be throwing away premium hands either. He's basically unpredictable, or at least very hard to predict. A good player will understand this and know how to take advantage of that style of play, when to be aggressive and when to let go, as opposed to LAGtards that don't seem to know the difference between looking strong and looking desperate.

Tight players are almost always going to outnumber the loose players. But by definition, they are also, as individuals, likely to play fewer hands than the loose players. But if they are smart, they too can take advantage of their images. For instance the tight player is more likely to have connected when face cards hit the board. The tight player can represent having connected with those face cards by betting out, or represent even more strength and confidence by taking advantage of the loose player's aggression with a check/raise. Not only can this effectively shut down a bluff from a loose player, but it can also get them to lay down a weak pair if they believe that you've hit a bigger pair.

Don't be mistaken. There are a lot of loose players out there calling light in hopes of getting lucky and hitting the perfect flop for their hand or willing to call off half of their stack chasing draws. In fact, that's probably how the majority of loose players play. Most of them will lack the necessary aggression to be effective. At the same time, there are a lot of tight players that also lack aggression. They are willing to limp in with hands that they should probably be raising with. By not raising they allow more players into the pot, which then makes it hard to play aggressively after the flop. After all it's hard to feel confident when there are five players in the pot and you have to wonder if you're outkicked or if someone hit two pair or a set.

So I'll say it again. The effectiveness of each style is dependent on the player and their understanding of how to utilize the advantages of that style. Each has it's advantages, but I believe the key to each is aggression. Not out of control, chip spewing aggression, but as the say in boxing, effective aggressiveness. The stronger a player's overall understanding of the game, the better they'll be at taking advantage of whatever style they choose to utilize.

Last edited:
G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's an open ended question. I don't think there is a 'correct' answer per se. As a general rule, if the table is loose, you wan't to play tight and if the table is tight, then you wan't to play loose.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
neither.

the best style is one where you adapt based on the table, reads or general population tendancies of your specific games.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree. Have to change gear everytime as given by table, opponents, etc.

Dont stick to one style.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
neither.

the best style is one where you adapt based on the table, reads or general population tendancies of your specific games.
Agree, but over all I feel it's best to play a style with similar to your personally.

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the answers, all the considerations are of much value to improve the game.

jgdesabato

jgdesabato

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play tight, just when you are near the bubble of a MTT I hold, I think most do this.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree, but over all I feel it's best to play a style with similar to your personally.

ya, if you want to limit yourself in poker sure. I think it's fine to play on the tighter side if that's what your personality is, but avoiding extremes in poker is really a must. What i mean by that is playing tight is fine, but playing too tight is not. Conversely playing loose is also fine, but playing way too loose is also really bad. Just like most things striking a balance between the two is pretty important.

Also, i believe if you are a certain type of personality you will find the games which best suit you anyways. Like me, i'm pretty impatient and i don't like to do the same things over and over, so i'm more suited to MTT or fast paced SNG and i generally play a slightly looser style than average. Others who are tighter type personalities would be more suited to 9 man cash games or something similar.

The only other thing left to add is that you really don't want to be focusing on your "style" too much. Instead you want to be focusing on exploiting your opponents, and that will dictate to you what style or what game plan is best for that opponent or that table. Like really basic example, is that a relatively tight table you don't really want to be playing tight also, as there is way more money to be made by opening more pots than you normally would. Again, avoiding extremes we don't wanna be just raising every pot, but we do want to extend the range of hands we raise with.

Hope this helps.

jgdesabato

jgdesabato

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's an open ended question. I don't think there is a 'correct' answer per se. As a general rule, if the table is loose, you wan't to play tight and if the table is tight, then you wan't to play loose.
I did not understand your reasoning. Very confusing his theory.

Z

zooboss

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Loose is more complicated style as i think

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's like rock-paper-scissors. Depends on opponents and in tournaments also from structure.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play both styles,but my table images most of the the time is tight.I tend to be aggresives in the middle and late phase of sng or mtts.But i play mostly sng,mtt and DoN.

G

Gabriel Ramos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's like rock-paper-scissors. Depends on opponents and in tournaments also from structure.

exactly , it depends Many type of tournament , and the opponents .
It is also very important : depends on the stage you're in the Tournament.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My style is aggressive but I am not sure, if there is a complete answer to your question. There are times when each style of play is correct, but the trick is knowing when to play each style. I would assume that a knowlegable player will know exactly the time to do it. Now all we have to is to learn when that time is right..... gl with that and let me know when you find out the secret!! :D:D:D

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big Butt's :D, sorry I cannot lie :p cause the itty bit thing just don't do it ya know it don't get ya sprung and all that :rofl:

O right, poker ... well it depends of course. The better you can play skill wise post flop the laggier you can be, and dynamics and all that stuff ya know.

For beginning players ABC/TAG is certainly the least tricky spot approach.

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think one style is more effective than the other. I think the effectiveness of any style is dependent upon the player and his understanding of the game and his opponents. For instance a loose player can take advantage of certain boards because he knows that a tight player wouldn't be calling raises with the kind of hand that would have connected with it. At the same time, because of the loose player's willingness to play a wider range, it's hard to know whether he connected with the board or not.

While LAG and TAG styles both have the aggressive part in common, it is my opinion that the loose players tend to be more aggressive. This is because the loose player could be holding anything. Sure he might be holding small cards that connect with raggedy flops. But then again, it's not like he's going to be throwing away premium hands either. He's basically unpredictable, or at least very hard to predict. A good player will understand this and know how to take advantage of that style of play, when to be aggressive and when to let go, as opposed to LAGtards that don't seem to know the difference between looking strong and looking desperate.

Tight players are almost always going to outnumber the loose players. But by definition, they are also, as individuals, likely to play fewer hands than the loose players. But if they are smart, they too can take advantage of their images. For instance the tight player is more likely to have connected when face cards hit the board. The tight player can represent having connected with those face cards by betting out, or represent even more strength and confidence by taking advantage of the loose player's aggression with a check/raise. Not only can this effectively shut down a bluff from a loose player, but it can also get them to lay down a weak pair if they believe that you've hit a bigger pair.

Don't be mistaken. There are a lot of loose players out there calling light in hopes of getting lucky and hitting the perfect flop for their hand or willing to call off half of their stack chasing draws. In fact, that's probably how the majority of loose players play. Most of them will lack the necessary aggression to be effective. At the same time, there are a lot of tight players that also lack aggression. They are willing to limp in with hands that they should probably be raising with. By not raising they allow more players into the pot, which then makes it hard to play aggressively after the flop. After all it's hard to feel confident when there are five players in the pot and you have to wonder if you're outkicked or if someone hit two pair or a set.

So I'll say it again. The effectiveness of each style is dependent on the player and their understanding of how to utilize the advantages of that style. Each has it's advantages, but I believe the key to each is aggression. Not out of control, chip spewing aggression, but as the say in boxing, effective aggressiveness. The stronger a player's overall understanding of the game, the better they'll be at taking advantage of whatever style they choose to utilize.
Wot 'e said!

D

Dartmatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to play both. Depends on the players at my table. Once I get a good reed on them, it will dictate my game. I will only bluff 10% of the time.

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"tight is right" is what they say in poker. especially when you first start off with the game of poker, play tight, and open up little by little, as experience and technique grows.

Good luck !

Z

zahridak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
tight is better than loose in all way

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For poker - tight.
For underwear - loose.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just avoid the extremes of playing too tight and too loose, and you will notice there isn't much differance we're talking a differance of around 5-10% of hands from tight to loose players, anything more is starting to become an extreme.