What is a field player?

T

turnupthebb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CH
Chips
I hear this term occasionally but I have only a vague idea what it is.
I heard Daniel Negreanu call that Ukraine girl in game of gold a field player. Dneg was very impressed and said "we should have her on our team". He said that on the first or second hand she played when she made a small 3-bet IP with a trashy 2 or 3 gap suited connector. Maybe Dneg jumped to that assumption because a math based player wouldn't 3bet with that hand?

I also heard a youtuber say that phil hellmuth is a field player thats why the younger generation of math based poker players like Dwan make fun of Hellmuth.

So my guess is that a field player is someone who doesn't play GTO. They just have a default strategy which they think fits in well into the general player pool tendencies, and then they get reads quickly and start adapting to play very exploitatively. And they don't use much math when they play. they mostly play against villain tendencies, dynamic and flow etc and lots of hand reading "which hands would villain take this line with?".

So a field player is almost same thing like a player who plays very exploitative style. But the thing is, a GTO player also adapts and begins to exploit when they have reads. So it's a bit unclear on the difference between all these terms and my guess could also be completely wrong for all I know.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that field player is someone who play the game with depending on the psychological state and if they like their hand

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never heard of this term, only among athletes, so it's new to me, but what you wrote may even be true about the term in relation to poker. :unsure:

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hear this term occasionally but I have only a vague idea what it is.
I heard Daniel Negreanu call that Ukraine girl in game of gold a field player. Dneg was very impressed and said "we should have her on our team". He said that on the first or second hand she played when she made a small 3-bet IP with a trashy 2 or 3 gap suited connector. Maybe Dneg jumped to that assumption because a math based player wouldn't 3bet with that hand?

I also heard a youtuber say that phil hellmuth is a field player thats why the younger generation of math based poker players like Dwan make fun of Hellmuth.

So my guess is that a field player is someone who doesn't play GTO. They just have a default strategy which they think fits in well into the general player pool tendencies, and then they get reads quickly and start adapting to play very exploitatively. And they don't use much math when they play. they mostly play against villain tendencies, dynamic and flow etc and lots of hand reading "which hands would villain take this line with?".

So a field player is almost same thing like a player who plays very exploitative style. But the thing is, a GTO player also adapts and begins to exploit when they have reads. So it's a bit unclear on the difference between all these terms and my guess could also be completely wrong for all I know.
He actually said "feel" meaning they play by getting a feeling for what the other player hand is not by saying x range does this against y range.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Feel player makes more sense for sure. The field is everyone you are playing against, you vs. the field.