The weak Ace

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not ace rag off but when you're holding, let's say, Ah7h and the flop comes down 2h 3h Ad you're totally in the driver's seat and you can play aggressively and in control, no?

How could you not like a hand that has the potential to play like that?

Using PT4 and reviewing my hands there's absolutely no question that including these in my arsenal has increased my winrate. None whatsoever.

That's a different scenario..that equation would be after the fact...i was thinking more along the lines of the course of action to take preflop with them :)

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually just limp w a weak ace depending on position and table size but if im in early starting position a10o and down is a muck

I think limping in this a weak ace is an awful play.....someone might just sense weakness and reraise u becuz of position with and inferior hand.

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing these hands well and in appropriate situations will increase your win rate. Just playing them without being sufficiently selective about when and how is likely to have the opposite effect.

Well, that underlines my point quite well. I'm not just automatically including these kinds of hands into my ranges - I'm doing so selectively and situationally.

As with most hands it depends on the table you're playing at and your image at said table. They can definitely be profitable if played appropriately, though.

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a different scenario..that equation would be after the fact...i was thinking more along the lines of the course of action to take preflop with them :)

True...but you have to include them in your preflop gameplan now and then to get into those post flop scenarios with them.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think limping in this a weak ace is an awful play.....someone might just sense weakness and reraise u becuz of position with and inferior hand.
How do you know this?? After all you think JJ is a dangerous hand to be playing.
I've seen players limp with AJ, AQ, AK, and AA and get all-in and win a big pot.

3X with it on the button, when there is no raise in front of you.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing these hands well and in appropriate situations will increase your win rate. Just playing them without being sufficiently selective about when and how is likely to have the opposite effect.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, and as almost all players overrate their skill level, this is going to be a losing hand for most. The statement, I see a lot of people winning with this hand, would be a clue that you are not ready to add this starting hand to your range.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly didnt under stand what he was trying to tell me but im sure that most donks that play that hand are big losers with it as they are going to over value there top pair NO KICKER or their straight draw too much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

ILIKEFISH31

ILIKEFISH31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly didnt under stand what he was trying to tell me but im sure that most donks that play that hand are big losers with it as they are going to over value there top pair NO KICKER or their straight draw too much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

At the micros it's absolutely amazing to see how often guys will shove with top pair weak kicker. Some of them just can't fold it.

S

skipizzle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A rule of thumb (that I picked up from these forums) is to not play Ace rag at all. Suited maybe, but only in late position.

Can be a good shove all-in when short stacked late in a tournament, but that's a different story.