Ways to play Pocket Aces

D

DaHawk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a lot of ways to play pocket Aces preflop. Meaning you can be aggressive in your play, semi aggressive, passive, and each decision can have an optimal outcome depending on a number of variables. It is these variables that we must examine in our own lives, to guide how aggressive we should be in our decision making process, and sometimes it's just best to push all your chips into the pot, and other times being conservative is key to your success. It's more than just a game, it's life lessons SON!

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
But at the game u can lose many times all of your chips.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, pocket aces are generally played aggressively. This will weed out those who like to see the flop for cheap, especially if the blinds are not big yet, with all sorts of trash in their hands. And that makes a huge difference to winning. And so of course look at the situation. There are times when opponents are too tight and it is better to check to get them into the pot. But slow play is very dangerous.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, with my pocket aces, I will not willing give the big blind a chance to win with their 72os by limping in.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Unless you know your opponent. Great hand to limp with against aggressive players.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a lot of ways to play pocket Aces preflop. Meaning you can be aggressive in your play, semi aggressive, passive, and each decision can have an optimal outcome depending on a number of variables. It is these variables that we must examine in our own lives, to guide how aggressive we should be in our decision making process, and sometimes it's just best to push all your chips into the pot, and other times being conservative is key to your success. It's more than just a game, it's life lessons SON!

A pocket pair of aces is not always a good luck !? On the one hand, this is the strongest hand preflop and requires some aggression. I consider Slowplay to be a losing tactic. On the other hand, if something goes wrong and the opponent does not give up or, even worse, shows activity, it is very difficult to break up with them, even if the loss becomes obvious.

S

sxm59

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Suppose that Hero is ALWAYS aggressive when he (or she) is holding a pair of aces. Then, when Hero is NOT aggressive -- that is, calls instead of raising, or checks instead of betting -- Villain will know for sure that Hero is not holding a pair of aces. In some situations, that might allow Villain to exploit Hero's calling and checking ranges. If so, Hero should "protect" those ranges by SOMETIME calling or checking with aces.

H

happiicake

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always go hard with aces pre-flop, you literally have the best possible outcome before the flop, and you need to play it aggressive to not give any limpers a chance to beat you.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So limping is generally a bad decision. However, I was playing against a player who was very aggressive from the small blind and knows that I always raise with my strongest hands preflop (which is why he raised may of the times I limed). This was late in a tourney and we were down to 3 players. I limped from the SB and villain checked. I jammed the flop and he called with top pair and a 2 kicker.

This is something I almost never do, but at the time I felt it was a good move. Also when it is very late and the blinds are high, just winning the blinds is a good result. So to clarify, this is not a response that is advocating limping, but to think about your image as well as how the other players are playing. Coming over the top will usually be the right move with AA though.

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes there are many ways to play pocket AA preflop, but is it worth it? I'm thinking of passive play. I lost several times against speculative hands with slow play with AA.
That’s when I understood why you have to play aggressively. With AA, you don't always win after showing.
I can imagine passive play if I lose more with it than I win, for example in a bubble

S

sxm59

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are variuos situations where passive play with aces preflop makes sense. For example:

1. You have less than 20 big blinds in a tournament, and there are several other players behind you who are also short-stacked. If you limp, one of them likely will go all in and you will often win, while if you raise you will often win only the blinds.

2. You are on the button, two players limped, and there is an aggressive player in the big blind who often likes to squeeze in this spot. Then, limping with aces can make a lot of sense, because you likely will be able to make a large 3-bet, isolate the raiser, and win more chips than if you had raised the limpers.

3. You are in the big blind, the player under the gun raises, and it folds all around to you. If you 3-bet the UTG raiser from the BB, that will look very strong and the UTG raiser might fold or play very cautiously. Again, calling with aces can make a lot of sense in this spot.