Watching pro players

Helvec

Helvec

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one better than you knows how to evolve your game, whether through books, videos, practicing the game and others, look for the way in which that learning is the one that feels best to yourself to progress. In my case, I like to play and evaluate my hands and hence correct my mistakes so that they do not happen again. Look for the way you learn and be happy learning, because sometimes it happens to us that we believe that by reading a book we are going to go out and win all tournaments. It's what I think friend, luck at the tables.

B

Baxter2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just play poker, you will learn it alone.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
All and any teaching methods should be tapped into - books, coaching videos and yes watching professionals is good.

However, I love watching high level poker (as presumably all do) but realize there is an enormous difference between watching poker for entertainment and for learning purposes. It is easy to slip into watching a great poker tourney like you are watching a favorite TV show.
I need to make sure regularly I am choosing some videos/streams and making notes, breaking down hands other wise I can spend a few hours just watching the action pass by without any meaningful learning taking place.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanna start play MTT with BR 250. I saw a marathon by Dmitriy Urbanovich, where he tries to reach 10000$ from 250. What should I prefer: to read books or other literature or watch his streams and other marathon streams?

I'd suggest starting with concentrated courses that build your game piece by piece

This is a free playlist I put together that covers a lot of the major key concepts in tournament poker https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrNnyWekagPbegY51h0xW4tHOFKKn_DU

From there practicing at small stakes to get comfortable with everything is great.

If you watch streams without the foundation you'll likely be a bit confused, but by studying the foundation and playing some first (so things click) and THEN watching streams you'll understand more of the advanced plays as a result.

If you prefer books to videos then the ones by Jonathan Little are a great place to go, hsi stuff on tournament play is top notch! :icon_rr:

jesuisjesus

jesuisjesus

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need play a lot of hands. Play low stack byu-in cash.
spin and go can help with post flop action.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read a lot of books.Watch a lot of videos.Play poker.Try to watch a lot of different players on stream.At the end try to understand a game.

DMAlv7

DMAlv7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch, read and play. Sometimes too much of one gets boring and there is no replacement for actually playing. In my opinion anyway. I have recently started playing Omaha and I find that after a few hours of that I am better at Holdem? No idea why though. Possibly it makes me think through hands quicker?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I watch, read and play. Sometimes too much of one gets boring and there is no replacement for actually playing. In my opinion anyway. I have recently started playing Omaha and I find that after a few hours of that I am better at Holdem? No idea why though. Possibly it makes me think through hands quicker?

DMAIv7 - hah, you are not the only one!

I found when I became interested in PLO and played with more frequency it helped my concentration with NLHE. With PLO you need to think through so many more possibilities- how combinations of 2 of your 4 cards can play against the board. Then the potential the board gives for other players to make strong hands.

Once you revert back to NLHE you feel more confident regarding where you stand in a hand and therefore can play more decisively.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wanna start play MTT with BR 250. I saw a marathon by Dmitriy Urbanovich, where he tries to reach 10000$ from 250. What should I prefer: to read books or other literature or watch his streams and other marathon streams?

Best way to learn is by playing. Learning strategy and seeing what pros do will help but not substitutes actual experience.

DMAlv7

DMAlv7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DMAIv7 - hah, you are not the only one!

I found when I became interested in PLO and played with more frequency it helped my concentration with NLHE. With PLO you need to think through so many more possibilities- how combinations of 2 of your 4 cards can play against the board. Then the potential the board gives for other players to make strong hands.

Once you revert back to NLHE you feel more confident regarding where you stand in a hand and therefore can play more decisively.

I thought I was weird. I literally play PLO as a training aid for NLH.

D

darkgonz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
I think you should learn from them, for something they are where they are and after learning from them you have to innovate.

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watching players on tv is misleading as so many hands and so much context is left out. If you can watch them play live or even play with them, it's of great value. Otherwise, stick with the books and play a lot of hands online to gain experience quickly.

newelis74

newelis74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today on the internet there is a lot of material!
I would recommend that you look for your mistakes and try to correct them ... and the situations that cost you the most money ...
Another way to learn is to follow a poker streamer who you consider better than you on twitch.tv or wherever !! !
Regards!

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer learning fundamentals first rather than watching streamers without understanding 80% of what they are doing. Also it doesn't mean that streamer is 100% correct in his decisions. Of course I am talking about other streamers than Urbanovich (he definitely knows what he's doing). I think it is a good practice to correlate what I have learnt with what streamers do.

saha2000

saha2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I often watch streams of professional players on twitch and see what tactics they use, what behavior, with what cards they open, etc.

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to watch winning players streams and think before their turn that what I would do and then see what they gonna do and after think why they do different than what I would do and why.

vsawake01

vsawake01

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pro player's games are on higher level. Using tactics and so on without understanding senseless and harmful

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well in my personal case ... I see the streamers of some professional Pokerstar players ... and the one who convinces me the most is Lex Vandhuz ... without a doubt I have learned a lot from him ... he is simply the best player. ..!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Well in my personal case ... I see the streamers of some professional Pokerstar players ... and the one who convinces me the most is Lex Vandhuz ... without a doubt I have learned a lot from him ... he is simply the best player. ..!

Hmm... never heard of him. I'll have to check him out. Has he been playing for a long time?

florestaftw

florestaftw

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think books are old fashion now , watching streams is better , there are lots of good players on twitch who is streaming poker and they have good content ,

I agree, now the new trend is learning by streaming.

B

booosteeer23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch the streams of ZpahZamazki !!!

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watch the pros for the entertainment as much as anything else. How they decide to fold when they should or call a bluff, is beyond me. Must be a Spidey sense or something.