Understanding Equity in Poker

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The article will be useful for beginners. Of course, the mathematical part of poker is very important. Basic knowledge should be for all players. But here it is very briefly written. In poker there is still a lot to do with mathematics. But only this mathematics will not be enough.

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for this strategy article , to be honest , I didn't have any idea about equity in Poker , the example was really clear and easy to understand . I will search more about Equity , because I heard a lot of pros talking about it , but I never tried to learn it .. Maths in poker now are very important to improve your game and your strategies .

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Math is one of the important factors of success, without it the chances of success fall in a matter of times, especially for new players.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
interesting article to know the probability of winning, which could help in decision making using this equity tool, especially after the flop

K

Kashtree

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now I understand what the math teacher I use to play against was tanking on all the time. :) There is a lot to be said about the example hand that is discussed. Arguments could be made for choosing another option than betting the flop. But I understand why it is a good example for the math. Maybe because I tend to think more in the abstract than cold hard math. Now that I understand equity I guess I can think even more abstract lol. Great article and discussion thread.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When watching WPT on tv, I hear Mike and Vince frequently refer to putting an opponent on a range of hands...determining their opponents range. I never quite got it...I probably react to the cards on the table and in my hand too much. This article gives me a much better understanding, but that just means I have to try to piece all previous hands together, gather all physical tells or data and focus on how each opponent plays certain hands that we get to see and in which situations they play that way. Phew, things just got a lot more complicated. Sitting and playing a casual game is a thing of the past. Yes, I am competitive, so when I sit down at the table, I want to win. I now question whether a long tournament format would be too much for me to play and focus for so many long hours.

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So am I right in thinking I use the cards in my hand and on the on the felt aswell as well as the chips in the pot to calculate what percentage of the pot is mine which would give me pot equity

Eg I’m dealt AA I’d have about 85 percent chance of winning before the flop so I raise to 1000 and someone calls with JJ and the flop came 2 7 8 id have about 90% chance of winning which would give me a pot equity of 1800 chips

Can anyone confirm whether I’m on the right lines with this as if I am I’ll start diving even deeper into it thanks

vavilen_

vavilen_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the info! mathematics is the foundation of poker and it is worth periodically refreshing the memory and finding something new!

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So am I right in thinking I use the cards in my hand and on the on the felt aswell as well as the chips in the pot to calculate what percentage of the pot is mine which would give me pot equity

Eg I’m dealt AA I’d have about 85 percent chance of winning before the flop so I raise to 1000 and someone calls with JJ and the flop came 2 7 8 id have about 90% chance of winning which would give me a pot equity of 1800 chips

Can anyone confirm whether I’m on the right lines with this as if I am I’ll start diving even deeper into it thanks
I wish I had the answer for you, but you might want to ask Protential about it here: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-poker-59/ask-ryan-laplante-about-tournaments-353915/

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^^^ great thanks I will do

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The article is good. Without mathematics, it is impossible to win today.

C

Cyse

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, i recently got into poker and started trying to grasp the mechanics of understanding card equity.

Now the way i understand it thus far is that i count my outs after the flop and multiply it by 4 to get my equity. Then, i multiply by 2 before river comes around.

Now here's my issue, i downloaded the equilab software and inside there's a neat equity trainer.

Everytime i try and run through it using my knowledge of understanding equity, my numbers are WAY off.

I select the Random preset as to not assign ranges to opponent, but rather just to get better at calculating my own equity for the best hands that i can make.

example:

Hero: :kc4::kh4:

flop: :9d4: Ad :jc4:

Best possible hands are a straight, trips, and quad.

Outs: 2-kings, 4 ten, 4 queens.

10 outs * 4 = 40% equity.

But equilab says my equity is 76%

can someone help me out with this. Because no matter how many different ones i do, im always way off.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You dont have 10 outs.

you can only calculate direct outs IE cards that immediately improve your hand - Queen or a ten doesnt improve your hand immediately, so it is not an out. Thats called a backdoor I believe

And why you have 76%? you can calculate equity by outs when you are BEHIND.

But on this flop with an overpair, you are ahead, so you have all the other outs - blank cards /or bricks/ - that dont help neither you or your opponent.