bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are going to steal there are a few issues you need to address:
1) You must observe the 2 players to the immediate left of you. Here is what you need to find out.
a) How often to they limp in
b) how often to they raise
c) how often to they re-raise
d) What type of hands do they play.
e) If you fold a hand, constantly look back at the hand history to see what type of hands the two players on your left show down with. That will give a good idea of what type of hands they play.
f) How often do they get into a pot.

This is extremely important, because this will give you and indication how aggressive they are or if they are passive. Or if they are tight or if they are loose. This is important information, because if you have a tight player and they raise...get out of the way, they have a real hand. If you have a loose player and they raise...they might be bluffing or playing a weak hand.

2) In a 9 person SnG, with 5-9 players do NOT steal. Play premium hands only and come in raising at least 3xbb or pot sized bet. Do NOT call, it's either raise or fold. The only marginal hand you should play is A-rag (suited), if the entire field limps in, you should too. Flush or flush draw ONLY, else throw it away.

3) With 4 players, it's time to change gears. It's time to terrorize the SB and BB relentlessly. You should have a good idea on how the SB and BB play. If the entire table folds to you and you are on the button put in a 3xbb raise. If someone had opened the pot DO NOT attempt to steal. If you have passive players they will fold. At this point of the game, if you played any hands you went in with a big raise and if you had a show down they saw big cards. you have a big game table image. So everyone is going to afraid of you. Stealing from the button is the most common and most frequent steal move. Here are the cards that I steal with: A-anything, any pocket pairs, any suited connectors, any one gapper cards, KQ to K8, any two face cards. That quite a wide range to steal with, but if you get called, you need something that will play after the flop.

Let me say this:
Myth: If you keep stealing from the button you become to obvious/predictable and you will be exploited
Answer: Bull crap. At the lower levels people know how to play one style of poker and ONLY one style of poker. Running into a player who knows how to adjust is going to be rare. I have played dozens and dozens if not a few hundred of the $1 and $2 SnG's and the number of players who have adjusted to my constant stealing you can count on one hand with fingers left over.

There are several other steal moves. But for right now, learning to steal from the button is the most common. Learning how to observe is extremely important for this to work. You need to know the person you are stealing from.

Other types of steals: The BB steal, the SB steal, the CO steal and the RE-STEAL (dangerous but worth the risk). If you want me to go into these other types, let me know.

Most of all stealing is about heart. In the beginning I was sweating putting in a 3xbb with Q8, but the more you do it, the easier it becomes. These days, stealing is the way I save and accumulate chips. The blinds go up so fast in turbos that you need to take some chances in order to survive and win !!!!

Good luck. Be a thief.

Your advice sounds good, but don't know if I can ever win at super TURBO as I have not as yet...300 chips just means all-in to me cause if I don't somebody else will on my 3BB raises....thanks, Wally

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Adding to lizzys posts..

if you in the SB and its folded around to you, and the person in the BB has less than 10 bb's you can shove with any two cards...

remember when staeling your making decisions based on your chip stack, and the chip stack of players to act behind you, remember that...

i might post my full stat on sng soon, when i get the time..

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your advice sounds good, but don't know if I can ever win at super TURBO as I have not as yet...300 chips just means all-in to me cause if I don't somebody else will on my 3BB raises....thanks, Wally

Wally...3 points about Super Turbo's
1) Stay away from them
2) Stay away from them
3) Stay away from them

Also, just in case I didn't mention it...STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Last edited:
L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-steal (defending against the steal):
The move goes like this: someone in the cutoff or button raises 3xbb in an effort to steal the blinds. To re-steal/defend against that you have two moves:
1) Re-raise 3x
2) Shove

Before you do this move you need to distinguish between a value raise or a steal move. Here is how you do it: if you have been observing the table, when the stealing begins you should know who is a tight player and who is a loose player. Also, the tight player in the beginning might have opened up his game and is now playing LAG (which is the correct move). Real important point: If you see the same person consistently raising 3xbb you have a thief, re-steal with any half decent hand (A-8 and above, any pocket pairs, any suited connectors, any two painted cards any one gapper suited, any suited K's, Q's, J's). Some of you braver, more experienced players can shove with ATC. If you are new at this, have something that will play fairly well after the flop.

On the other hand, if you have a tight player and they make a raise, do NOT try to re-steal unless you have a premium hand. The tight player is making a value raise and NOT a move.

Also, stack sizes should factor into your decision making. If you have a super small stack they are going to push with any Ace or any painted cards or anything suited. Be sure you calculate the damage to your stack before you call.

Also, if you have anyone raising before the cutoff, this is probably not a steal move, this is a value raise. Do NOT confront unless you have premiums or a pocket pair.

If you have access to the Full Tilt Academy Aaron Bartley does an excellent job explaining re-steals.

So in a nutshell, if you get raised from the cutoff or button from someone who consistently raises, you need to re-steal/defend with a big re-raise or shove. Re-stealing is definately a high risk/high reward move. If you do not resteal, you are going to be abused and punished.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well LizzyJ I just wanted to say thanks and thanks to everyone else as well... I decided to try a turbo free roll last night. Now I know the skill level is a lot different then if your buying into the tournament however I have never won or even cashed in a turbo tournament now I'm glad to say last night I was playing and I finished 35th for a whooping $1.35 however as sad as this is going to sound it is prob one of my most favorite poker moments of my own to this point lol

Congrats on that !!!!:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are right. Tight play and turbos do not go together. I do not play turbos because players tend to bet with any 2 cards and hope they hit on the flop. Not my style of poker. Turbos in my view require more luck than skill.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great info LizzyJ!! I have read and re-read this thread a few times over the past month, and it has defenitly helped step up my game. Thanks!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great stuff Lizzy - gonna send you a pm about creating a Sng Turbo Strategy thread that can be archived. I will copy and paste relevant posts from here to there once you start it. Or will figure out some way to archive this and give you credit.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First time I've read through this thread and I just wanted to add my thanks for Lizzy's comments. Very well written and explained and makes absolute sense.

In my limited experience to date I've been following much of the advice (tight early, opening up later) although the gap in my game has been around stealing in 9 man SNG's. Lizzy's comments make great sense and I'll be putting them into practise.

pifan

pifan

PiFace
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow im glad this thread got bumped great information in here.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great posts, thanks guys

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great stuff Lizzy - gonna send you a pm about creating a Sng Turbo Strategy thread that can be archived. I will copy and paste relevant posts from here to there once you start it. Or will figure out some way to archive this and give you credit.

Thank you Dakota. Sorry it's take so long to get back to you. I'd be willing to start an SnG turbo thread. I'd be willing to share what I know about SnG's, including BR, handling tilt, pre-bubble strategies, 'investing' into your opponents, post flop strategies, taking notes, playout w/o poker tracker software, handling losing streak, practicing with play money, etc. I'm sure there are many players out there can can really contribute to the SnG intellectual bank.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing tight does work, but only in the beginning. Once you get to around 5 handed and higher blinds (around 80/160 imo) you should really start stealing no matter what your stack size, just be wary of people who don't respect your raises. Pay attention to your table image and the skill level of your opponents.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most ppl recommend opening up your hand ranges everytime the blinds go up, others say open it up after every break..really its on personal preference and what you feel comfortable doing..

biggest thing i could suggest is once it gets into the later stages ppl try and steal with ANYTHING..so when they go for the steal either 3bet or shove all in and majority of the time they fold

A

alfie my dog

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi new to this forum, just a little tip I use on pokerstars.I always find out how many tables my 2 players on the left are playing(normally all of them).

If 9+ tables, bb 50 to 100 a min raise with any 2 cards is profitable, just make a note if they go all in (around 25% players) as this can be use full as well.