Top 10 best poker habits to get into to be successful?

moses59

moses59

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't drink and play, minimum distraction, go in with positive attitude

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes if your playing the numbers and dont have your hand reading skills sharpened be yound just ranges. Some players can put players on hands quite frequently and quickly and because of this it helps them with a more indepth game and post flop play too .

I can put people on AK normally or high pockets.

I also can read hands where people have medium to small pockets looking to grab a small pot.

So it's getting there and reraises on the flop use to be good but now that people seem to reraise with top pair it gets trickier because it use to be only when they have a set or 2 pair or a strong draw.

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lot of good info here.. The playing tired deal is impossible for me. Thanks for the question, good for everyone. I guess taking a few already said.. 1. dont play tired. 2. Dont play when on tilt. 3. Review of hands no matter how man. 4. The more hands played I think would be a massive help for anyone. 5. Read some books and whats youtube videos. 6. Posting hand for constructive criticism. 7.Learn some poker math 8. When your playing a game you really want to do well in, DONT MULTI TABLE. FOCUS daniel son. 9. As some mentioned about taking risk. I would make stupid calls just to see if your reads are correct. Try doing this without killing your roll, only when cheap. But it will build confidence on your reads. for sure if your getting them right.This also goes with losing at first to lean, as mentioned. 10. Always remember how you got your bank roll instead of how you lost it. Like mike mcdermitt said a poker pro. Forgot who, poppa something. Good bankroll management. Good luck.

Last edited:
zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not to play when in the tilt and drunk

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay i'm not getting drunk... but i'll play high instead lol im kidding :)

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Developing calmness/tranquility
Developing wisdom: inner wisdom and by reading books
Training maths/logic and training with cards

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience:

Know how many tables you can handle without getting stressed out. Good cards, position, and etc. All based off patience. Not trying to be a hero every time on the river.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plan how you are going to play for the day. Small ball, ta, or some other form. and vary each day until you find a form that is comfortable for you.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plan how you are going to play for the day. Small ball, ta, or some other form. and vary each day until you find a form that is comfortable for you.

Yeah I have a problem of going from TAG to LAG mid tournament. Eventually I become short stacked and force myself into playinng the shove/fold game :( because I wasted so many big blinds earlier.

S

sousacampos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1- patience
2- patience
3- patience

K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
1.Money 2.money 3.money 4.luck 5.luck 5.patience

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- Play freerols
- Don't play more then 0,1% of what you have
- Define tournaments to play
- Put notes in players that usually play your tournaments
- Be completely focus
- Don't tilt
- See some vídeos
- Share information and learn poker fóruns
- Play defined hands
- Do´n't be agressive in the tournaments begining
- Cashout

Hanagis

Hanagis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be well rested
Dont jump limits
Have proper bankroll management!
be aware of whats going on at the table, even hands ur not playing in.
Stack sizes
Bet sizing
Position

Take Notes
what type of player are they???
whats there range???
Why did he Check/Raise
Patterns
anything that u can to give u an edge on ur opponent.
I wont lie taking notes at first may seem a little difficult, Not sure what to write, ther long, where to start. just keep at it in ur daily grind and eventually u will be taking them religiously. and even start coming up with abbreviations which will speed things up for u.
I would say Note taking would improve ur game greatly. and if ur not taking notes then just think how many players u play daily that are??? how many players are acquiring more knowledge and advancing their game while ur ther just cliking away aimlessly. Ther are alot of things that can be done and these are some of the few.

And i can say whole heartedly that before i was doing this and applying myself throughout the game, I was bluffs into the nuts, and alot of other dumb things im a little embarrassed to say.

keep ur head in the game, dont be distracted to vids,facebook,t.v.

Distractions can destroy u in a tournament, ur running deep holding AJs Bubbles about 10,20 ppl away and UnG Shoves.
RING RING RING..... HELLO, HEY Whats up??? dingding the timer rings stating ur running out of time. U run back to the computer and u make a call.
Regardless of what happends its thw wrong decission.
What would u have done if u knew everything thats going on???
hes table leader with 100 BB hes Under the gun and his Vpip is 17%
Your sitting with 60BB and ur in middle position.
Doesnt look like its a very good situation for yourself now does it???

DONT GO ALL IN ON AN UNRAISED POT WITH ANYTHING LESS THEN THE NUTS!!!!!

i would also suggest watching free videos, heres 1 coach ive been following over the past years and im always am returning to rewatch his content. Gripsed.com youtube him and u should have a great way to help get u started on the right path.
I personally Love his Mtt Strat Guide
and all the content on his Project Get me Stacking
Hes really informative and goes that extra mile to make sure hes done the research to relay to us all the great information he does.
Ive almost watched everything he has except for all the sweat reviews, Some even 3 4 times. Do the same as i mentioned earlier dont just sit and watch and listen to what he is saying. Make sure to apply urself and be taken notes and questioning what hes stating, dont just believe its true cus he says, take that extra step and do the research for yourself. once ur taking it to that next level ull really be seeing yourself making progress. Dont be results oriented and just know that if ur making the right decisions at any given moment that in the long run u will come out on top. Dont get Discouraged to a bad beat because that part of the game. think of it as playing a vid and u just got killed, restart and try again. allthough it really sucks once youve ran deep into a tourny and this occurs.
Pokers weird in that sence because even tho ur making the right decission u can still loose. us being human and used to when we do the right thing good things happen but in poker its not always the case.

Just try to make the right decisions, and u shouldn't have much problems.
Its more then a game of just 2 cards and there's 100s of factors that take part in every hand, they can be tired, distracted, overwhelmed, many different things that can take there mindset away from the game.
u minimise that and stay ahead of the competition by applying urself in ur daily play, and u will see improvements. How fast will onbly be determined by how badly u want it, How much ur time and work ur willing to put it now will help determin what u get to take out later :)

These are some of the things i like to do, it may not be the best for u or the next guy, but in time u will develop your own style and really enjoy all this process.

If theirs anything that's not clear and u would like to know dont be shy!
I hope that some of my methods can help in your game any1 elce who may read this along the way and find it helpfully!

Kuphaldt

Kuphaldt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I have a problem of going from TAG to LAG mid tournament. Eventually I become short stacked and force myself into playinng the shove/fold game :( because I wasted so many big blinds earlier.

I have this same problem. But I always build a big stack and then have the problem of flipping with the medium string hands like 10s or JJ. Does anyone know if this is a problem or leak in my game? Is it bad to flip 25bb in tournaments with these hands when you have a 40bb stack?

P

pokrshot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Beginners should give a small break before the next one irrespective of whether you win or lose the current one.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ego is a very important factor in poker. Everyone thinks they are good at this game, just like driving a car. But when 3 out of 4 people lose in poker, it becomes clear that this is far from the case.
Don't let your bad habits get in the way of your goals in this game. Always be flexible in your thinking, there are probably better ways to do things differently.

The best poker players are chameleons of sorts.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can also play and train when you are tired or bad condition.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
1. Set a Daily Minimum of Hands Played 2. Break down the top 5 hands of the previous day 3. Post hands on poker forums 4. Create an interest group 5. Watch the “right” instructional videos 6. Read the right poker books 7. Body-mind connection 8. Try something new at the tables 9. Review all tables before you start playing 10. View problem spots in HM2 or PT4