Tips to find your odds (to beginners)

nesser

nesser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I particularly find it very hard to calculate it. Do you have any advice, trick or something that helps you out when you're sitting on a table?

:stoned:

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I particularly find it very hard to calculate it. Do you have any advice, trick or something that helps you out when you're sitting on a table?

:stoned:
google an odds chart and print it out for quick access when you play.

I

ilostmysoul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a thing called the 4 and 2 rule. This is usually on your equity.

It says you multiply your outs times 4 on the Flop and times 2 on the Turn.

So for example. You have a flush draw on the Flop. That gives you 9 cards to complete it. Without looking at a calculator, you have 9 * 4 = 36% to complete it by the end of the hand. If you get to the Turn and you don't have your Flush, now you have 9 * 2 = 18% to complete it on the River. These won't be the exact percentages, but they will be 2-3% away from the real ones so they're good enough. Obviously, making this flush won't mean you win the hand.

This is a very quick way to calculate your odds of completing a given hand. Then you need to compare it with your pot odds and/or implied odds. That's more complicated and I don't think there's an easy way to do it without experience or calculators.

nesser

nesser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
google an odds chart and print it out for quick access when you play.

Thanks, I'll do that. But is it possible to do those calculations yourself, especially if you're playing at live tables?

nesser

nesser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

So for example. You have a flush draw on the Flop. That gives you 9 cards to complete it. Without looking at a calculator, you have 9 * 4 = 36% to complete it by the end of the hand. If you get to the Turn and you don't have your Flush, now you have 9 * 2 = 18% to complete it on the River. These won't be the exact percentages, but they will be 2-3% away from the real ones so they're good enough. Obviously, making this flush won't mean you win the hand.

This is a very quick way to calculate your odds of completing a given hand. Then you need to compare it with your pot odds and/or implied odds. That's more complicated and I don't think there's an easy way to do it without experience or calculators.

That is just what I was looking for. An easy way to do it myself. I'm going to put it into practice more seriously than ever. Thank you

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

That is just what I was looking for. An easy way to do it myself. I'm going to put it into practice more seriously than ever. Thank you
the rule of 2 and 4 is a very good tool for calculating your odds quickly. however, there is an error that many players make when using this shortcut and that is: using the rule of 4 incorrectly.

the only time you want to use the rule of 4 is when you are guaranteed to see the river card, other wise you will use the rule of 2. for example, if you have a flush draw w/ 2 overcards to the flop and villain puts you all-in on the flop. if you were to call the all-in, you would use the rule of 4 because you are guaranteed to see the river card as there is no more betting and no chance of you folding.

however, if you have a flush draw with 2 over cards, villain bets 8 bbs into a 10 bb pot, and effective stacks is 65 bbs, then you would use the rule of 2 to figure out your odds of hitting on the turn. this is because you still have the option of folding on the turn. if you're using the rule of 4, which is the odds of hitting on the turn or river, and you don't see the river because villain bets enough to get you to fold, then you are calling with improper odds.

as a general rule:
  • use the rule of 2 if you aren't guaranteed to see the river from the flop.
  • use the rule of 2 for the odds of hitting flop-to-turn, and turn-to-river.
  • use the rule of 4 if you are guaranteed to see the river from the flop.

I

ilostmysoul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the rule of 2 and 4 is a very good tool for calculating your odds quickly. however, there is an error that many players make when using this shortcut and that is: using the rule of 4 incorrectly.

the only time you want to use the rule of 4 is when you are guaranteed to see the river card, other wise you will use the rule of 2. for example, if you have a flush draw w/ 2 overcards to the flop and villain puts you all-in on the flop. if you were to call the all-in, you would use the rule of 4 because you are guaranteed to see the river card as there is no more betting and no chance of you folding.

however, if you have a flush draw with 2 over cards, villain bets 8 bbs into a 10 bb pot, and effective stacks is 65 bbs, then you would use the rule of 2 to figure out your odds of hitting on the turn. this is because you still have the option of folding on the turn. if you're using the rule of 4, which is the odds of hitting on the turn or river, and you don't see the river because villain bets enough to get you to fold, then you are calling with improper odds.

as a general rule:

Well spotted, I forgot all about that, thanks for pointing it out!!

nesser

nesser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

as a general rule:

Thanks for taking the time to explain it. It is vitally important for all of us who are learning, that you clarify how to use properly those rules.

cferdi

cferdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I found this rule REALLY helpful, I was trying to memorise them all until I realised that this could give a rough percentage of hitting the outs - made life so much easier ! :D

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for taking the time to explain it. It is vitally important for all of us who are learning, that you clarify how to use properly those rules.
you're welcome.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator Poker Tips