Testing

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the correct number is 3.5*top prize - 10*expected ROI +3.792833*k

where k is a constant adjusted for how rigged each site is against you.

:D
quite simple

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
quite simple

Well this is the beginner's section. This is just the empirical estimate obviously, if it were somewhere else we could have gotten into the calculus of it and where the k comes from :).

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Where did the k come from anyway?

It can't be a constant adjusted to how a site is rigged against me because according to my math each site is rigged 100% against me at every site I have a cash acount at, therefore no possible way to adjust from one site to the next. After all we all know poker is rigged (be it online or brick and mortar) simply because AA and AK does not win every single time that is unless the other guy has it.

Zach...please explain the calculus of K?

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

i got a blah, blah, blah, what, huh, and what. damn i suck at math, from this post. it's a good thing you are around to confuse the newbs. lol

on a side not. finally we have a section where i might be better at this game then the rest.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where did the k come from anyway?

It can't be a constant adjusted to how a site is rigged against me because according to my math each site is rigged 100% against me at every site I have a cash acount at, therefore no possible way to adjust from one site to the next. After all we all know poker is rigged (be it online or brick and mortar) simply because AA and AK does not win every single time that is unless the other guy has it.

wtf are you guys talkin about

i got a blah, blah, blah, what, huh, and what. damn i suck at math, from this post. it's a good thing you are around to confuse the newbs. lol

lol you guys do realize I'm just making random crap up right? I thought about adding in another constant that was the number of stars you can see when you look at the sky at night :).

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Glad you asked:
Here's the equation again:

BR needed = 3.5*top prize - 10*expected ROI +3.792833*k

If this were not an estimate we wouldn't use only top prize, but we would use all the prizes, probability of winning each one, and calculate the probability of busting to determine the BR needed. Instead we simply use the top prize assuming that we will be in different payout structures in a somewhat bell curve. The ROI normalizes it as if you have a high ROI you will be further to the right (towards the top prize) and if you have a low ROI you will be further to the left.

Now what we do is integrate the curve, and we take the area under a certain amount of money to be total money. Since it is a normal curve all the probability adds up to one, so the area under the curve is an approximate weighted average of the money and our probability. It's been calculated that even the most rigged site only takes $3.792833 from an average player, so someone with a 0 ROI and 100% rigged will need $3.792833.

But we still don't know if k is linear, quadratic, etc. We know two points, so we need to determine the order of k. Since we realize poker is rigged and although we can't explain it we know when poker is x% rigged, we just kept playing until we had a session where we just knew it was 50% rigged. We lost exactly $1.90 which is half of the 100% number rounded. So we determined that k is linear and we can use the formula included. It has been extensively tested and scientifically proven. Let's use it to determine the approximate BR needed if we assume that Stars, as we know it is, is 100% rigged, and our ROI will be 10%:

BR needed = 3.5*top prize - 10*expected ROI +3.792833*k
BR needed = 3.5*5520.68 - 10*0.1 + 3.792833*1
BR needed = $19,326

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Still looking for noobie posts......not one yet....:D

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What Just Happened?

MAN! Being new and all, this site is a bit difficult to manuver! I'll try again! Now, considering I flunked Math twice in college, BUT pulled a 98% on my high school Algebra final-isn't there an easier way to figure out what re-buys, add-ons etc. should be other than what you guys are TRYING to explain to us new-bees??? Sumpin' like, oh I dunno, never buy into an MTT w/ more than 2% of your bankroll OR drop out before the blinds reach you when table stakes are 10%+ of your roll in ring games OR sumpin' simple to remember and keep the calc book closed????:confused:

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MAN! Being new and all, this site is a bit difficult to manuver! I'll try again! Now, considering I flunked Math twice in college, BUT pulled a 98% on my high school Algebra final-isn't there an easier way to figure out what re-buys, add-ons etc. should be other than what you guys are TRYING to explain to us new-bees??? Sumpin' like, oh I dunno, never buy into an MTT w/ more than 2% of your bankroll OR drop out before the blinds reach you when table stakes are 10%+ of your roll in ring games OR sumpin' simple to remember and keep the calc book closed????:confused:
Mathematics are all part of the game....or sumpin' like that.

Am i rite, Zach?

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still looking for noobie posts......not one yet....:D

lol at least we do have one truly beginner thread, so I don't feel quite as guilty for totally hijacking this section :)

lol sorry I confused you but I was just having fun and making stuff up in this thread.

My REAL answer for the BR needed would probably be just to treat it like a $12 tournament or whatever your average buy-in is and then use the 2% rule. That would give you a more realistic answer of $600. Of course just because of the nature of the rebuy and the fact that it seems you can practically blind your way to the money with all the crazy stuff that happens, I'd probably say you'd be fine with half of that.

KenFischer

KenFischer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My REAL answer for the BR needed would probably be just to treat it like a $12 tournament or whatever your average buy-in is and then use the 2% rule. That would give you a more realistic answer of $600. Of course just because of the nature of the rebuy and the fact that it seems you can practically blind your way to the money with all the crazy stuff that happens, I'd probably say you'd be fine with half of that.

I agree completely. The huge amount of dead money in most rebuys pads the prize pool enough that ROI on rebuys will exceed non-rebuy MTTs, from my experience.

To keep from killing my ROI/bankroll with one bad tournament, I always set a limit on my rebuys (5 max counting the add-on), so for me 5x the entry is my "buy-in" for the 2% rule.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Man, this is so way above a beginner section reply I can't see straight!:eek:

BTW zach, I don't see any suggestion that the k adjusts for the variance through time of the riggedness at any particular site. As I don't have forever, I need a constant that is a little less, well, constant. :confused:

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They are just joking around with the maths stuff in this thread. What you're saying is a great way to figure it out. :)

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
congratulations, you guys confused an actual noob.
way TO GO GUYS!!!

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok this is the beginner section, stop trying to scare people

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
congratulations, you guys confused an actual noob.
way TO GO GUYS!!!

lol, feel kinda bad about this, tried to make sure everyone would realize it was a joke. Maybe the mods could move this to like poker general or the lounge so other people aren't confused/intimidated when they're just trying to learn their way around?