Tells in online Poker

S

silversun87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you find any tells playing online poker? One I noticed is that most of the time when I'm making a substantial raise and get called instantly (not more than one second time) then the player usually has a very strong hand.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play around with my timing to mess any who is paying attention up.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the ways I tell is by getting to showdown with a player. It tells me what they value and how idiotic some people are about getting good cards that get nothing as the cards come.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An instant check usually mean, they are completely uninterested in their hand.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best one for me: Quick call is usually draw or low-mid strength hand.

If they were very strong, they pause to consider raising and/or look weak.

R

randywalstad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes a little hesitation means everything online

read and react look at the blinds and adjust

Last edited by a moderator:
MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes a little hesitation means everything online
I don't know if it's just me, but I have a hard time manually entering a bet in the Aurora Graphics pokerstars client. So when I take a long pause it's usually because I'm trying to make a bet, OR I'm trying to scroll through my notes on a player (which I also find very hard to do with this software). I sometimes even time out when I'm having a hard time doing one of those two things.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The one I've noticed the most is that a very quick re-raise is usually a very good hand.

I try to mess around with slowing my timing, e.g. slow raising/calling with the nuts to make opponents think I'm considering folding. But I think it's quite difficult to do that the other way around, i.e. fast bluffing without time to think about it. It's probably a skill worth working on!

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to look for inconsistencies in a person's play. Most players (if paying attention) are methodical in how long they take to act each hand. If this suddenly changes, there is usually a reason why. While not always true, I find that a long wait as if thinking means they are very strong and slow playing a hand, where a slightly longer than normal hesitation indicates there is something that frightens them and is a possible bluff opportunity. Again, not always and these have backfired terribly for me at times as well.

Also watch betting patterns. Many players stick to a certain size of the pot. If that changes, there is usually a reason why. Stop and re-evaluate the hand.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone has their own style of play. Some players immediately answer almost without thinking, while others play for time regardless of their hand. I somehow intuitively, but of course not always determine the correct bluffing of a player or he has a strong hand. More often than not, someone who drags on the call and then raises has a strong hand.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Instant checks, long waitings. Those are the signs that usually can tell slot about a player style.

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is not always that way. There are many players who use this strategy to bluff, and they have nothing.:cool::cool:

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow play with AA ^-^.... kidding, all my hands round the same time. But if somebody check very fast, most of the time they already checked the check button.

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That sounds more like a tell that you are playing against a BOT to me !

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont concern myself with "timing tells" nearly as much because with more multi tabling going on than ever before - its easy for players to get hung up on other tables. That being said -- when you face the good old "tank/raise" its generally NEVER a bluff. If someone runs their time bank down and raises you out of nowhere, its almost always nutted - to be quite honest, i cant remember an example where it wasnt lol.

3Bet sizing -- click back 3bets are annoying and i find the majority of them to be VERY strong hands, like QQ+
PFR Variations -- your PFR bet sizings should NOT EVER CHANGE - but i see villans all the time going from 2x all day to 3.5x or 4x out of nowhere -- that gets immediately noted and is generally a hand of considerable strength -- we exploit this by over folding and ONLY playing the top of our ranges - larger bet sizes cause players to "condense" their calling range - thus making them much tighter -- so if you are one of these players who always raises bigger with your AK and AQ, all you are doing is chasing out worse and getting same or better to call. I see this one ALOT.

These are the ones that come to mind most for me off the top of my head.

That being said - i think rather than actively looking for tells, we make much more $$ by understanding how to play well post flop, properly ranging our villans, and understanding why we are betting and what size we are using -- IE: betting for value or as a bluff - and value = whats worse that can call and how much? // bluff = whats better thats folding, how much will it take to get that hand to fold?

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An instant check usually mean, they are completely uninterested in their hand.

Yesterday a villain autochecked a flop, so I thought "great, I'll bet him off this hand on the next street" but it turns out he flopped trips and the autocheck was faking weakness. I thought it was a very good move...

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you find any tells playing online poker? One I noticed is that most of the time when I'm making a substantial raise and get called instantly (not more than one second time) then the player usually has a very strong hand.
In online poker, unfortunately, it is difficult to find telses! We do not see the player and do not know how he makes a decision! Is he distracted by the dog or has he knocked over a cup of coffee?

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, it would be strange to get a call with a weak hand.So watch the flop.the turn and river. and probably many people play better than you and this is also worth considering.Good luck friend!

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is very important to find such an event with a high probability.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Some patterns can be associated with specific players over a larger number of hands but be aware of false timing patterns that may be more of an indicator of number of tables being played or situational related timing rather then actual play indicators.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tells online takes time at the table with the specific opponent/s. It can't be called a pattern or a habbit until many hands are played.

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many tells in online poker. They make it easy to understand the tells. Good luck to all/.

Beatlebug

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tells online takes time at the table with the specific opponent/s. It can't be called a pattern or a habbit until many hands are played.

I agree with the above. You need to play with a player for a lot of hands before you can say you have a "tell" on them online.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A long wait followed by a bet is almost always strength, but I never pay too much attention to this unless I see it multiple times. It's so common for people to be playing multiple tables, they might just have decisions to make at other tables before they get to yours.

Poker Tells