Teaching my kids poker ?

C

Caryn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeh, why not. Just be sure not to make them gamblers =)
But if for math purposes/risk-reward concepts, then - yes

I've used poker to teach my 10 yo budgeting. He has a spreadsheet to track P/L for his bankroll ($2, we play with pennies).

I think gambling problems start with chasing bigger pots, playing out of your means, etc. learning the *right* way is a great foundation for success, IMO.

And there's no appeal for chance based gambling.

Carlosypoker

Carlosypoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the main thing is to teach them the management of money, bankruptcy, financial obligations, personal and household expenses.

After that you can start teaching that you should not play with money that can not be lost and future problems if you play and you lose that money

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why not, i have started to teach my son when he was 13 and we have played at the tournaments together but he was not interested to devote himself to the game and he stopped playing when he turned 18 when

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not nice to teach small children such games
if I'm world champion poker and have a son then I taught it to achieve and play to become world champion
better send him in any sport to build the characteristic discipline and let there to become world champion and Olympic why not

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both of mine can play hold'em and 5 draw. And black jack. I also taught them that it is gambling, no matter how good you are, and that you should never, ever, gamble with money you can't afford to lose. They're pretty good money managers anyway so they understood this concept...that their money for this kind of stuff is segregated. They're 14 and 11. They don't play a lot like I do. My 11 year old enjoys it more than my 14 year old - he rather play PS4 but....they both know how to play and know how to manage their money.

C

Caryn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both of mine can play hold'em and 5 draw. And black jack. I also taught them that it is gambling, no matter how good you are, and that you should never, ever, gamble with money you can't afford to lose. They're pretty good money managers anyway so they understood this concept...that their money for this kind of stuff is segregated. They're 14 and 11. They don't play a lot like I do. My 11 year old enjoys it more than my 14 year old - he rather play PS4 but....they both know how to play and know how to manage their money.

That is awesome! My 8yo has no interest unless we are playing for snacks. I don't think he'd have any interest at all, but my 10yo is all about it! 5 card is his favorite but it was easier to teach him with baseball so I could help him decide if he should bet or not. Never thought of black jack lol

Doubledunk

Doubledunk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
imho, it's a fun way in learning math and probability.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Id love some opinions on teaching my kids how to play poker.
They all love card games and are quick to pick up new games.
I guess my reservation is teaching them a gambling game which could lead to problems later in life with managing their money.
They're aged around 12, 10 and 9.
Any thoughts?

my grandmother taught me go fish at 5 years old poker not long after

i played poker with domino's pizza owners and relatives for cash at 11 years old started playing holdem at like 17