Table Chat???

xmast3rmindx

xmast3rmindx

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i appricate all the negative and positive feedback im going to reread all of them and figure out the do's and dont's and how if i am develop a stratagy of adding chat into my play. thank you

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can get a lot of information @ tablechat when you're playing live poker.

Forget it online.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i sometimes do chat at tables, when i am play and mtt maybe i will chat with people if the chat is nice, i never cry about my hands on chat, i dont call people fish or donks.

D

dinoroxxx

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP

On the Internet, do as you like, but I usually find online chat is pretty offensive, abusive and utilizd mostly by bad players or idiots. I usually go the route of civility and let the cards and my play speak for itself. Plus, if you talk enough shit, the calling stations and fish will simply ditch and find a new table and then you've screwed yourself out of money.

Live, where ratholing and table ditching isn't allowed, I'd suggest you be respectful and concentrate on a good/positive table image. I've seen Internet types (not hard to pick 'em out) go into places like the Horseshoe in Tunica and try to verbally spar with some of the regulars there, let me just say that the parking lot can be a long walk...not kidding. Most of the time the guys talking shit in poker rooms have long live play relationships and getting involved can bring much more bad than good. There are some serious gamblers at some live tables and many aren't as casual about table talk as others. Live you are not anonymous and it's a different game.

JMHO

clover

clover

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think live it just makes you look like a douche when people realise you can play and online it just gets out of hand and people will not answer any begginer questions seriously anyway

I totally agree. I once played in a tournament where a player pretended as though he hadn't a clue as to how to play the game. I think the majority of the table pretty much knew he was faking it, and it was even more apparent when he was sitting at the final table. I don't think people buy into these types of fake tells too easily, unless they themselves are a new player.

Overall, I think the less a person talks, the harder it is for others to read them.

Last edited:
rocketsAddict

rocketsAddict

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do use chat sometimes to try and make people think about me as a tight player. If I made a bad bluff, and the river comes and my opponent could have made a straight/flush/trips or something and he raises, there is no way that i will call, but i will wait a while and then fold typing something like "river", or "always the last card that counts ha?". This will show the player I might have folded what was a nice hand, and this might make him bluff easyer the next hand when i do have a nice hand.

Hope this helps you ;)

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I spent a long time with the chat turned off but I've recently begun experimenting for a couple of reasons with chat to mixed results.

For starters many pros state that creating a fun table image increases action and that noisy tables are usually looser than quiet tables so I try to use a lot of humour to see if it has any effect. It's lost on anyone multi tabling but I think it does affect a very small %.

Secondly, when it's appropriate I let the table hear what read I put on a hand. I feel doing this commits me to making a better read and return information I get, I believe with experience and time, will enable me to get a better understanding of my opponents.

What I don't do is use any negativity, at least I try not to.

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what is a good way to help your game with chat? aggressiveness or cockiness to tilt someone and if you do how to play that person aggressive, check raise reraise, check raise call, not talking always seems good to me but dont see a way to help you get a little better advantage. are should i chat like im new and ask questions and limp , check , call to think im chasing? just an idea wondering if this has potentcial to get an advantage and hopefully throw off reads

If you want to learn how to chat at the tables
Just watch how Doyle Brunson talks at the table
:musicus:

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I leave chat on usually. Sometimes I like chatting with guys living in interesting cities.
Last time eg. I had a chat with a guy who live in Arnhem (this city's bridge was too far for the allied forces in 1944). So I asked him about the city and the bridge and he suprised me telling that the bridge itself wasnt blown up and still stands there in original shape. :)

If the chat gets annoying (with continious chat for long time, swear etc...) I turn it off.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have done all of these things while paying. Usually come back to the player on my right typing.......zzzzzzzzzz

LOL

I used to get way more involved in the chat. If I am in a friendly game I will still chat but most of the time now I avoid it at all cost. I don;t turn it off cause I like to know who at the table is complaining about others being a donk so I can look them up and find that they are the biggest donk at the table.

They may be thiking, they may (and often are) multitabling and therefore may not be instantly aware of that particular hand. The phone may have rang and they have just picked it up. The doorbell may have rung and they have had to get up and answer it. The poker software may have just crashed and they are reloading it. The oven timer may have just indicated their pie is about to burn. They may have dashed to the toilet. Someone in their home may have just asked them a question. They may be responding to an email and so on and so on.

K

kidnik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to chat in private freerolls not in normal games though. I'm not at the point that it doesn't effect my playing if someone starts calling me names yet, guess it just hasn't happened enough times. So normally what I do is as soon as someone starts ranting is mark them Red and turn off chat. Not that game but in future games I target them. While it's not very smart it is very fun.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
what is a good way to help your game with chat? aggressiveness or cockiness to tilt someone and if you do how to play that person aggressive, check raise reraise, check raise call, not talking always seems good to me but dont see a way to help you get a little better advantage. are should i chat like im new and ask questions and limp , check , call to think im chasing? just an idea wondering if this has potentcial to get an advantage and hopefully throw off reads

any chatting at all is almost always a rookie on the table.
Don't worry about 'trying' to look like you're new because I'm guessing you'll be able to accomplish this without even trying.