V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
How do you play suited connectors, like 8;9 ? Ìs there better odds in making your hand than Q,J?

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
QJ has better odds. 8,9 suited could make a straight flush against a flush. Your odds are low, but if your hand hits, you could make a lot.

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play these types of hands early in an MTT in late positions or defending blinds with them. They have the chance to flop well, but often if you hit a pair you're easily beaten and it can be hard to fold.

In terms of more likely hands - 89 is slightly more likely to hit a straight than QJ, but essentially they are the same in terms of flush/straight potential. The only difference between them is the pairs you hit with QJ are better.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is much better to enter a hand with suited connetors, give an additional value to your cards

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like any two it's fit or fold. It's better to hit a rainbow straight draw the a flush, your flush could easily be beaten. What you really want is 998 to hit.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold early position and defend or flat later typically. I will throw in some raises at times if I feel someone is weak

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play them in middle to late position if there are already a bunch of callers and you are getting good odds to play, also in the sb for the same reasons and sometimes just to mix up my game.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i have deep enough stack (usually in the beginning of MTT) i like to limp with suited connectors from middle to late position or even flat if it does not cost me more than 5% of my stack. In other cases generally i try to avoid them. Of course there are some situations later in the MTT when these hands can be used also to steal pots from late position especially if there are just limpers and sometimes i also do it but it depends a lot from the table and types of players which are on it.

nobodysf00l

nobodysf00l

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on value

I will play any suited connectors as long as I get good value for my call. I play with this in mind: The more flops I see, the more opportunities I have to win a hand.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in such hands 8-9 suited when there is a small bet in the tournament and sometimes this card plays well, or when the small bet plays in the cache game I play on such a card and sometimes I win when the match comes in a combination, but when the bet rises I would I prefer to play QJ!

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like connectors in middle to late and occasionally as a big blind defend depending on table.

Best part of middle connectors for my play is the hidden nature of them in full 9 handed rings. I sneak them in when there is decent odds to so or if there is somebody with a really wide range going in on the hand - I find them to, generally, be willing give that value calling hoping to hit.

qj is my cursed hand though. I fold it no matter what. I never win with it, always hit something and get ran down by people that have no reason to be at that point in the hand with their equity. Literally the hail marys always get me on qj.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The advantage 98s has over QJs is that it is less likely to be dominated.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I play suited connectors like 8-9 or 6-7 only if I'm in late positions and knowing that the villains that play on my left are passive ... then I make a 3-bet ..!

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play suited connectors alot like small and middle pocket pairs . Try to see a cheap flop and go from there . I like the value ,when you connect you can win a big hand .

E

Ero2407

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play with QJ, and with 89 if after the flop there is no straight drow, I pass