Subtle Gear Changes to Improve Your Poker Game

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have made some mistakes of this type in wanting to standardize my game, knowing that changes are indispensable to the modern world, in life we ​​have to change, we have to think differently and have other habits, because things change and today will not be the in the morning.
I will have to apply the knowledge of this topic in my game and learn to do some things different in my life and in poker.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm still saying that all "philosophical" concepts in poker has mathematical and psychological bases like all personal relations in life, much more in poker. When we use math only for count our outs neglecting all other situations which we should use it, our concepts are used uncompletely, so wrongly. Professional players use auxiliar programs that make calculation for them and having all psychological and mathematical information as much as possible they create best solutions suited to each ocasion. Great article, a good start point, congrats CardsChat!!!

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
*I mention typos and other things that bug me all the time, but I implore whoever is responsible for these articles, that articles written in the first person must be credited for the sake of their credibility if nothing else!* - (and there is a lot of else here, including, but not limited to, intellectual property rights.)

I like the approach to gear changing in the article. It certainly applies to MTT strategy, although it's a little light on context for that - meaning chips stack and stage timing. I like the idea of gear changes being dictated by the cards being dealt (albeit within the specific context of the situation). It is really impossible to perform subtle gear changes without the right cards. Whereas, it's pretty simple to go from first to fifth with any two cards.

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Metagame or the way we should shift from Tag to Lag or vice versa should be implied once we are deeper than average stacks around so before getting in this mood just focus on a double up or triple up being Tight at start while analyzing most of the players ranges will give you the advantage of a profitable play once you shift Gears. Thx for the article

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are times when playing you come out playin agg ,and soon find out its not working, and need to change gears .Many times thruout a game we need to tighten up ,sometimes lossen up ,more so after moving to another table. Getting a few hands in gives us a small read on a new table

Last edited:
migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's good to have a plan, if someone wants to seriously devote poker games, I do not make plans and play amateur, feel, maybe I can make changes in my game, to see if I'm going to advance, I'll read the article securely.

P

Pete Ski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great article, I think the key takeaway is if you become too predictable you will be exploited by players that take notice. I try to mix up my game a little with varying degrees of success. It seem that often when opening up my game I get called by the loose opponents which I find the toughest to put on a hand and play against.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good article. I newer thought about changing gear while playing in tournaments.
I will think of this in the future,
When i play head up, I do change gear as the game drags on.
I like the therm cat and mouse game.:)
To me poker is like Fencing. Attack, attack and fall back, and on again.

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the start of games i usually play tight for the 1st hr depending on the amt of entries, When I perceive other players have noticed this, I usually will start opening with mid connectors miud suited cards moving away from those top cards

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
very good article ! as usual hehe... but that is true a good poker player must know how to adapt on every situation and know when he can change gears and when he can't this is really important to know how other player perceive you at the table so you can't prevent how they will react to your action and you can act on it really good lesson learned

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Excellent article, how changing gears for not be predictable in poker and be a successful player, but you have to know when we can put it into practice as it depends on some factors, such as your stack or your position

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very informative and good article! There are few new things for me to think about and in general I think I do right when I play poker and change my style or aggression cause I do it while my stack changing or amount of players at the table.So basically I know this theme but I didnt study it profoundly and it might be my leak.But anyway thanks for rewising such interesting sphere of poker!)

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Great article.
I always paying attention on my opponents and how they are playing, so I can adapt...if table playing tight, I try to play more hand than usual. And if table is full od allin maniac who are playing every hand, I'm just tighten up a bit, and waiting a right moment...

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Great read. It's something I neglect to do myself at times. Consider how my table mates perceive me. I will look to make some moves if i'm particularly card dead if I feel my table mates are paying attention and good thinking players. It can be a very effective strategy.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the great article. I try to mix in order to switch the speed of my game depending on the cards and who sits against me at the table, and, of course, good luck, then I play and enjoy the game

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Great Article Tammy! is awesome I tend to apply this every tournament I play always depending on the situation the type of players I have on my table and of course the stage of the tournament and the stack sizes of each person at the table ... ehat you say is totally true playing sometimes small pairs open the range to suited connectors are really good strategy to make yourself a hard read book I hope I can apply this when I play on live tournaments hehe (hope that to be soon xD)

thanks Tammy!

Top 10 Games