Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
poker strategy is never black and white, or one size fits all, and your poker game shouldn't be either. In order to excel and take your game to the next level, you need to know how and why to change gears or strategies while you play. It's all about adapting your play to the table and player dynamics at any given point in the game.

But there is more to it than simply switching from a TAG (tight-aggressive) or LAG (loose-aggressive) or maniac style! As with all strategies, you need to have a plan. You need to know the how and the why of your gear changes so that you can make them work for you and accelerate your game!

Read our article here: Changing Gears: Learn When to Change Your Poker Game

How do you know when it's time to change gears? What tips can you add? What was something new that you learned from the article? Comment below with your thoughts!

changing-gears_images_1.png

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Tammy, Very good article, but This Phrase is very good and real, (To be a successful poker player, you must be able to adapt to your environment and make strategic adjustments). I think that the real poker player is the one who adapts and Make strategic adjustments to maintain your game strategy

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A very good article Tammy. I know I'm known as a loose aggressive player. I will use this article to try and change this image into that of a tight aggressive player. I'm always trying to improve my game. This article has help me realize how loose of a player I am. Thanks again for the great article Tammy.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Being subtle enough to change the image of your style in other peoples eyes, gives you a big advantage, but only against those with the clues to notice how you play.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good article. Although I feel I may already incorporate most of what I just read, I still picked up a few things. When to switch gears, when not to, and even helpful hints on possible ranges to consider. It was good to hear it from someone else's perspective for sure. I also think I put too much value in smaller pocket pairs.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good Article!
However I believe that cash game part of the article must be excluded. Many regulars are joining cash tables with 20-40bb stacks and play tight-aggressive game. Opponents feel safe calling my 3bets, cause my stack is much smaller and they know that it's maximum that they can loose in this deal. I do that all the time. Approximate 0% of Regs are changing gears at the cash tables with stacks above 200bb. Maybe 10-20% of regs are playing less tighter game vs some big fish.
I think that the best thing to do before changing the gears is to study the field, specially if you're moved to a new table. If you're able to scan history of your opponents at sharkscope and see who your opponents are - then this is the best thing to do before changing the gears. Cause if you're moved to a shark table as a chipleader and suddenly you've started to donk every hand just because your stack is big, then i believe that before the next break your stack will be much smaller, unless the fortune smiles and you'll be giving bad beat presents all around.

I wish to read a good article about GTO strategy. It was and still is popular, many players are seeking for the information about it.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
TY 4 the article =)
"Keeping Track of Your Stack" - this 100%. When I see open shoves for 40+bb with ATo from EP....
The only thing I would add is : dont over-adjust and/or over level. this can be your own demise.
"...if you play 4d-5d..." - almothu this is right in on 1 side the it's underming your EV in the long run

P.S.: "...starting range (which will likely be pocket nines+ and AQ+) ..."- oh you nitty-nits ;)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think a bit more math relating to the impact of stack size would be beneficial.. how much of your stack would you be willing to commit to changing gears? Sometimes it's just not feasible to do, especially in MTTs, depending on blind structures and how your opponents are playing. Sometimes your gear changes will be silent (only you will know) whereas in other cases you will be showing your villains how your play has changed. There are many layers to this.. but ultimately it comes down to whether there is enough time and enough chips to make the change.

Another angle is switching gears back and forth depending on how your opponents are reacting to you.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best time to change a gear and your playstyle is on a late stage of the tournament. Not only the stack sizes but you also need to keep track of your opponents. You can adjust your playstyle depending on them by opening with raise if they're tight or double barrel if you feel like that they floating you.

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good article, Tammy. I try not to hurry at an early stage, I play in the style of TAG and always switch to the late stage! I think that the best time to change gears and your style of play is at a late stage of the tournament.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Solid article.

When the blinds increase, it's time to make some change in the gears. I would say that hands like suited Aces and two-gap suited connectors like KJs or Q10s are good hands to add to our range. Of course when we have very little stacks, let's say 8 or 7 or 6 big blinds then we shove in the first good chance.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Adapting your game according to the evolution of a tournament to the styles of your opponents is essential in your progress. It is good to change strategies at times. It is an interesting mental exercise if you put yourself in the place of others and also do a self-assessment of yourself.

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, Tamme. Very cool article, but I try to stick to the constantly tight-aggressive game. Yes, I fully agree with you that a professional player must adapt to the game of opponents, but the player must also play with caution, since it is not always clear what the opponent may have.
Staya good, try to stick with it.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Love that article:)

I'm constantly changing gears based on table dynamics, tourney stage and stack size. Problem is I tend to overdo it. Too tight to too loose and vice versa.

The above can be successful but there have been many times I've kicked myself for being eliminated due to maniacal play. Time to try a smoother approach.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker strategy is never black and white, or one size fits all, and your poker game shouldn't be either. In order to excel and take your game to the next level, you need to know how and why to change gears or strategies while you play. It's all about adapting your play to the table and player dynamics at any given point in the game.

But there is more to it than simply switching from a TAG (tight-aggressive) or LAG (loose-aggressive) or maniac style! As with all strategies, you need to have a plan. You need to know the how and the why of your gear changes so that you can make them work for you and accelerate your game!

Read our article here: Changing Gears: Learn When to Change Your Poker Game

How do you know when it's time to change gears? What tips can you add? What was something new that you learned from the article? Comment below with your thoughts!

changing-gears_images_1.png
thnx tammy for the article , it really helps me , i have learned a lot from this article , specially when to change gears , and if it s a necessary . very useful thread , thank you .

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I absolutely agree with changing gears, or as I like to call it, changing play style to better suit the table dynamics!

Quite an essential skill to have in your asset if you want to be a very successful poker player!

I would only add that, in my opinion, it is not as much about being a harder book to read, as it is about adjusting to your surroundings and specific players at the table!

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Interesting article. I think that in a subconscious level we all do change gears while we play, whether on account of getting deeper in a tourney and nearing the bubble or our stack slowly blinding out (we nits do have that problem). Doing it consciously and utilising it as a tool is a very good step forward in our game.

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, at the beginning you play and raise with good hands. Then when everyone understood it you start bluffing. Then some mix when noone understands what you have. But really, you just adapt your tactic to tactics of other players.

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL - The person who wrote this article must be old as dirt ! Like me , I grew up with the saying "If you can't find them , grind them "
Love it !
Having said that , anyone who plays the same way , always raising preflop , no matter what their cards are , or always "calling "
Those ways will just get you eaten to the point you will have no stack left and out ... So, I agree you need to change it up, and before you are out of chips !
I agree , you need to know what your style is and how to change it.
I still feel that you need to watch the cards coming out , and you will notice a pattern , and try to play accordingly. I have called or even raised on what I feel is a good hand , only to have crap flop out ! Yes , I have had to fold an A and a good kicker !
I also agree you can't do it every hand , but just enough times to keep them guessing :)

Last edited:
Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good article. Your image on table -is very important and often it can and should be used. For example, if you are a tight (neat) player then the possibility of bluff-3-beta against a suitable opponent (with a high frequency of Fold to 3-bet) is a good solution.

jingler

jingler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing a tournament I try to change the gear when I am the chip leader at the table or at the bubble stage. It is then that the players begin to play more tightly in order to hold on to the tournament for as long as possible and reach the prize money. This is an ideal opportunity to capitalize on and pick up several banks without resistance, which will increase your stack.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing Wisely

:p :motz:

2 Players Left, Table#2 (LOL) :eek:
There are so many good ideas that people have posted here! So many ways to "attack" this 'cat and mouse game' against other folks. Different personalities, habits, table positions, type of hands, how much is my stack?, how much is the other people in the pot's stack?,is that short stacked guy gonns go all-in?, LAG and Tag, cat and Mouse, suited cons, small pairs, late position, always raising PF, not always raising PF.

Through the hundreds of hands we play, guess it's a good way to practice multi-tasking, huh?

As pros, we get so use to running these thoughts through our minds, that it is taken as second nature. Thank you for the article, Tammy. It helps to add more focus to those things and to know that we are on the right track when comparing our thoughts to each other and what we should be thinking.

Many FIRSTS, all!
:D
Dan'O
:rolleyes:

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another essential article to learn more about poker strategies. Basically what most influences me in this change are the levels of blinds, stack size and situations like bubble and ITM.

m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
f you can start playing suited connectors this way,

Very good topic, I believe it will open the minds of many players.

I particularly try to fit the table and maybe have a more aggressive game, but I'm changing it, I've been studying stacks to improve myself.

It's a good idea to play a bit more loose with suited connectors and pocket pairs, but I believe you also need to study for a good post-flop.

Suppose you do not have a healthy stack and end up paying with a low pair, or even a raise.
On boardy you come all bigger than your pair, how would you play?

With the suiteds connectors, evaluate the gameplay and post-flop alncance, before paying a hand ... Paying to just hit, I believe to be a crime.

As the last part informs, always ask yourself.
Self-inquiry will add more chips over the years!

Top 10 Games