Studying poker is as important as playing it

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Studying is an essential part of poker, as it is with any game in which the player wants to do well. The only problem with poker is the element of luck that is involved, that blows all of the perfect preparation and tactics out of the window from time to time...... but hey! that is poker and probability. As someone once said, you cannot bluff a player who is not concentrating. I would add, you also cannot bluff a player who doesn't really know what they are doing!

Your last sentence is very true. At a time when a well played bluff would bring a poker pro to his or her knees, a player who has no clue what he or she is doing will call. Happens all the time; you get beat by a player who has no business being in the hand. Those can drive you insane.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree with you in some moments of course skill plays a big role in poker, but online I still think that luck is in the first place

Skill plays a big role in every hand you play! And over the long run (a lifetime) it pays off. I have been playing in a "home game" every two weeks for 10 years. I track my results and my bankroll is substantial, even though we play for $0.50/$2.00 limits. Others, who do not study, who rely on luck, have huge swings in their game. Most nights they are buying more chips time and time again. BUT, they sometimes get lucky and have a big night. The cards are all stacked in their favour and they win with Ax, 9 - 5 suited, and "any two". This encourages them to continue playing loose and lousy. Next time around, they are forever reaching into their wallets for more money.

It cannot be repeated often enough - winning poker is a long-term process, not a one session, or one tournament act.

Study, learn more and more, and practice. Best of luck with your studies.

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thing is luck has a little bit to do with it... it's called variance... but the real skill is knowing when your hand is beaten and laying it down or reducing as much damage to your stack or bankroll... on the other hand it's about learning your opponents tendencies as well... so much to learn... so little time lol
amen to that my friend iv tried removing 'pot committed' from my vocabulary *hasn't worked YET. Why do we have the urge to pay to see our opponents cards even when 99% of the time we know wer'e drawing dead??? thats just poker & i love it (as long as my balance ia still above $300). M

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice 70%
Theory 30%
you are spot on the old chestnut 'practice makes perfect' only applies to poker 70% of the time!,,, but heyif that means winning 7 out of 10 hands i'm happy lol 'i wish my wife looked like your avatar'☆ Happy new year from Scotland

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the more you study and the more numbers of games to play the less luck will influence. all of them In the long run we all receive good or bad cards which determine their results and how you can extract the maximum of chips with the good hands and lose a few chips with bad hands

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is like any sport. Study and practice is the only way to excel. Why are the same players often making final tables? What differentiates a pro from an ammeter? Study and practice.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never lose. I either win or learn
-Nelson Mandela

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level