Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This question is meant for people who take learning poker seriously, so if you're a casual player, maybe just move on from this one.

Once you've moved past the fundamentals, which do you think is more valuable, study or practice? I think most people can agree that they are both worthwhile, but how much of your time do you spend playing vs. learning, and do you think you should change that balance? At this stage, I think playing is FAR more valuable to me than studying, so probably play 15-20 hours for every 1 hr of study, maybe more. I do wonder though, if I'm just being lazy, and if I'd benefit from a greater focus on study. What works for you for a play/study balance?

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
To play it is recommended not to exceed 5 hours of play per session for 4 to 5 days a week, it allows you to keep a good mind and enjoy a normal quality of life.

To study poker, it depends on your availability. There is no problem if you spend many hours watching strategic videos or on decision support software.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to improve your gaming studying is far more important.

Its really a balance of how much time you want to spend improving and how much time you want to spend playing.

I like to play more when there are more good games available and study more when the games are not as good.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, or may be by Happiness, I more prefer Practice in Poker!.. If I and study the different Poker Skills, this gets not stability, spontaneously...
Because " Practice Makes a Perfect!"

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
To play it is recommended not to exceed 5 hours of play per session for 4 to 5 days a week, it allows you to keep a good mind and enjoy a normal quality of life.
I'm curious where those numbers come from. Are they just based on your personal experience, or did you find them somewhere else?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This question is meant for people who take learning poker seriously, so if you're a casual player, maybe just move on from this one.

Once you've moved past the fundamentals, which do you think is more valuable, study or practice? I think most people can agree that they are both worthwhile, but how much of your time do you spend playing vs. learning, and do you think you should change that balance? At this stage, I think playing is FAR more valuable to me than studying, so probably play 15-20 hours for every 1 hr of study, maybe more. I do wonder though, if I'm just being lazy, and if I'd benefit from a greater focus on study. What works for you for a play/study balance?
As you say, both are important, really a personal decision based primarily on which way you tend to learn best.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In the classics, the optimal ratio is considered for every 1 hour of theory 3 hours of practice. But I think 1 hour of theory after each game session would also be nice, even if it lasts 5-8 hours...

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think real practice is more valuable, at least for me. I don't have much time to play, so I'm currently learning while playing. But there is no doubt that regular study is also necessary for effective development.

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello!

In my journey as a poker player, I learned that balancing study and practice is essential to my growth. While the practice offers me real experience and the opportunity to apply the concepts learned, the study provides me with theoretical foundations and strategic insights. Through studying, I can learn from professional players, analyze hands, read books, and participate in discussion forums such as CardsChat. Practice, in turn, allows me to test these theories and improve my skills at the table. Combining the two elements allows me to progress consistently and face challenges with confidence. Therefore, I believe that the ideal is to find a balance between studying and practicing, as this combination makes me a more complete and prepared player.

GL

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe both are important. You have to see what you can do with your time.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
playing the game makes it easier to understand the game more rather than reading or watching other people play

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You can practice your boxing skills all you want, but until you step in the ring and face an opponent during the real thing, one will never realize how good they really are.

Even playing a live game can be considered studying in real time. My own opinion for someone who has played the game for years they would not need more than an hour of study for every 40 hours of play.

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both are important for your growth as a poker player, you should always study hard and give yourself time to practice what you have learned.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, practice is holy, you study for nothing if you don't put into practice what you study.