Strong hands in Omaha HL

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just had this hand a few minutes ago, 279 player MTT and i had to laugh cause we were just talking about this in this thread.
Here is an instance where I played this hand, cause we're 7 handed, nobody called in front of me and I like my position against small and big blind hands.
Button did limp in. On the flop, BB made a 1 blind bet, i called and button called, Nobody bet the turn, so I'm confident nobody is on a strong high hand and they have low drawing hands, if I make my hand on the river I'll get paid off. River hit me, I bet pot and both players called with A2. Just started the final table 4/9, let you know how I did.

Attachments

• hand6789.jpg
    hand6789.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 21
P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yuck, ran into a cooler hand aces full lost to higher aces full, I made a no no, first I did the assume the BB doesn't also have an ace in his hand, which he did, then bet the river out of position witout the nuts and no low to fall back on, and got re-raised, called. Fizzled to a 7th place finish ! Not like me to be reckless like that in PLO8.:mad:

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got this from an Omaha Blog

http://omahahilostrategy.blogspot.com/

Middle Connected Hands - Hands like 6789 and 5679 are not playable. The best possible hand that you are usually drawing to is the high end of a straight that gives someone a low. Then again, your other option is to draw at the bottom end of a straight. Either way, you lose. When your best possibilities with a hand both aren't that great, you should probably just fold it before the flop.

This is listed as a cash trap hand.

P

PlayerPlayerAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any Big Pair - AA, KK, QQ or JJ. Doesn't matter which or if anything is suited or coordinated, I generally see the flop with these. I will often times throw the hand away if I don't hit a set on the flop.

I disagree with this, It's not that I won't play them, but I need the other 2 cards to have some sort of value to go with them, like a suited ace or a 2-3 suited with the kings. Cause like he says, if you don't hit a set on the flop, they're impossible to play and you have to toss them.

Double Suited Junk - People look down at double suited hands like 6sJs9c2c and limp into the pot all the time. Your probability of scooping the pot with a hand like this is very low so you might as well not even try.

I get a kick out of this one, you know how many people preflop raise any double suited cards, its hysterical.

With all of those hands that I play, I am probably considered on the loose end of many Omaha High-Low poker players. Scotty Nyugen is known to have said that no hand is playable in Omaha-8 without an ace.

He's right, he is on a loose range of starting hands, but to each his own.

I enjoyed that Km, thanks for sharing it

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any Big Pair - AA, KK, QQ or JJ. Doesn't matter which or if anything is suited or coordinated, I generally see the flop with these. I will often times throw the hand away if I don't hit a set on the flop.

Yeah I wont see a flop with these pairs unless I have great position and two other cards that will play nice with them. I am okay with playing these pairs with two prime cards and with two Broadway cards from MP and as long as it is not raised in front of me.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands