christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How many blinds would I or the villain need to have to make a shove and be positive?

I ask because there are situations in which having an Ace can be advantageous. I try to shove with 20 BB or less.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This depends on many factors you haven't included. The exact BBs from you are important, but so are table dynamics, game format/structure, villain tendencies (player type), your position at the table, villain position at the table and so on.

Generally, open-shoving AT with 20 BBs seems a bit too loose. You are going to only get called by stronger hands most of the time. Similarly, If your opponent does have AK, AQ, or AJ, then you are dominated when you could have otherwise cut your losses.

If you are down to 10 BBs or less, then I'd say AT (especially if suited) becomes more reasonable to open-shove; 15 BBs or less if there is an ante in play.

However, I like your ambitious open-shove with 20 BBs and AT if you know your opponent is going to start folding out some of those hands like AJ or AQ. The problem here though is that most people aren't this tight and will probably call it off with AQ (and especially AK) a lot of the time. Again though, it depends on the tendencies of the villain (or your perception of their tendencies).

aurora1207

aurora1207

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think there is not a definite answer to this question as there are several factors to consider.

I tu play GTO, the best answer is on Nash's push or fold chart.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Blind vs blind you can shove A2 for 20bbs.

Blind vs blind, with 20bbs I do not think open shoving AT is the optimal play though.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I'm never sure of what to do when I'm on button or the blinds with AT, and someone from utg raised

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This depends on many factors you haven't included. The exact BBs from you are important, but so are table dynamics, game format/structure, villain tendencies (player type), your position at the table, villain position at the table and so on.

Generally, open-shoving AT with 20 BBs seems a bit too loose. You are going to only get called by stronger hands most of the time. Similarly, If your opponent does have AK, AQ, or AJ, then you are dominated when you could have otherwise cut your losses.

If you are down to 10 BBs or less, then I'd say AT (especially if suited) becomes more reasonable to open-shove; 15 BBs or less if there is an ante in play.

However, I like your ambitious open-shove with 20 BBs and AT if you know your opponent is going to start folding out some of those hands like AJ or AQ. The problem here though is that most people aren't this tight and will probably call it off with AQ (and especially AK) a lot of the time. Again though, it depends on the tendencies of the villain (or your perception of their tendencies).
Your answer is very interesting. I really hadn't looked into some of the factors you mentioned. The interesting thing is that I see that in cheap tournaments, many play with weak hands and in these cases AT seems to be good.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on position, previous action and ICM pressure on you and other players. A SB jamming range is way wider than an UTG jamming range at a 9-handed table for instance.