Starting Hands

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As far as I can see, in the beginning I only played with strong cards and I did not get much, I mostly went all in with AA, AK, AQ, KK, but I eventually discovered that they did not always have big cards-how many times I entered all - :), it's already different, it's also played with smaller cards when I'm in the position, and it depends on how other players play and are you ready to go to the end;)

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Nice article!

In earlier stages of mtt's, when the blinds are still cheap, I play with wider range of hands, trying to establish a good stack. While the blind's size increasing, I am back to tight style, and with 4-t handed left to play - again widen the range of hands.

In SNG, especially those single table ones, I am playing tight, taking wider opportunities only when I am in position. Again, wider my range when 3-4 players left.

Cash game I do not know how to play, but I realized you can not stick neither to monster hands, nor to play wider range :)

wrabinho

wrabinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pair 10s or higher , A 10 or higher , J 10 , J Q , J K , Q 10, K 10 , K Q.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Comprehensive and thorough article. It would be nice to think that all my opponents have read and are employing the tips in this, or a similar article. I do think most people follow this general outline. It is often advantageous (as well as accurate), however, to assume your opponent is a complete Aggrotard. For example, applying the charted strategy to the opening levels of the Facebook tourney on Saturdays would be a sure path to complete frustration. This is an extreme example, but there are many situations in which the context overrides the basic strategy in polarizing fashion.

Context often trumps basic, albeit sound, strategy. This is especially true in large MTTs, freerolls, and late in any tourney.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There certainly was a great deal (pun fully intended) of information in the article. While the strategies work for the most part, I was surprised to see no mention of tables stakes, and if a certain strategy would work at a $1-2 table versus a $50-100 table. Lower stakes players can usually afford to "chase" down gutshot straights and flush draws at the river.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just another opinionated article

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very good article like all but I think they are just a guide, because for more than someone play fairly within the rule does not indicate quevaya to win.

I almost always play within the standards and I have never achieved great results, always mediocre. this of the selection of hands is very relative and varies a lot according to the type of tournament and how we know our rivals.

I have seen people play in a terrible way and reach final tables, the variance is huge in the online game.

Anyway, it's a good guide to follow.

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This guide for starting hands should be in every poker player. For beginners, knowing about starting hands is the base, the foundation that must be laid at the start of training. I liked tournament example: Call, Raise, or Fold. This article was very informative for me and I found my knowledge gaps.

Guii_LF

Guii_LF

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think charts like the one in the article are good for early stages of a tournament and for players that are just starting out and haven’t developed their own style yet.

Marcos mats

Marcos mats

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is our discussion for Week 4 of the CardsChat Forum Challenge. Even if you are not participating in the challenge - feel free to join in on the discussion!

Poker Starting Hands

Read the article and let's discuss it here!

Knowing which hands to play in various situations is one of the first things you need to learn.

I am anxious to hear your thoughts on this article - and how you think it varies based on whether you are playing tournaments, sng's or cash games.

View attachment 169151
Hi Debby.
I always try to play with equity in position and be as aggressive as possible, it is clear that in the course of the game we can decide to open more range of hands and play and out of position but for this we have to be aggressive. especially if you play without the aid of softwares.
:pcguru:
We are together.
😎👊🍀💰

MikeShayne

MikeShayne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely useful information to build upon. Also, should make decisions on later streets much easier, which helps as you develop.

Biggest danger I see is predictability. If you only play premium hands, your opponents will likely just get out of your way- limiting potential winnings.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Great beginner's "how to" guide! In my not so humble opinion, the most significant part is "understanding table dynamics". The recurring motto in analyzing poker hands, is "it depends". So, being a tight and aggressive player is a great starting point, but, and this comes from personal experience, being a trigger-happy nit does not cut it! You need to take some chances, depending on table dynamics (again) and mix up your game-play.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
REFRESHING!

After 10 plus years at online freerolls I had forgotten most of this. O forgot may be too harsh a word , let's say pushed aside this. That said I wholeheartedly agree with everything said in the article. It's like reading the bible. It all sounds perfect until you apply it in the world we live in today where players are making new rules.

I printed up the starting hands chart and plan on using it as a cooler in my games. The information is sound and should be used more often in our CC games than the free buys I face everyday where i swear there's a crystal ball app I'm unaware of out there.

Also keep in mind that all the "this is the right way to play poker" advice., can be and quite possibly already has been turned against you.Online Poker is and always will be a journey of skilled and unskilled minds navigating through a sea of skilled and unskilled players waiting for a random generator to elicit your fate as to the decision you made when dealt 2 cards.

We can do the math and say here iis the science but in the end probabilities are just best guesses. Here's to being the best guessers out there!
I do not have as much poker experience as you do ... in my country it's not a tradition ... I'm trying to learn poker here with you here from cc ... but I think more or less how you talk about poker concepts ... very good text

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the theoretical teachings of the range of hands, position, chip count ... the basics of basic poker should really be followed by beginning players ... but it is very difficult to understand the theory without practice ... in my case, for example, only after a lot of practice, I started to understand the theory

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands