Stalling to survive the bubble

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I think that it is not a mistake to stay in the tournament due to the mistakes of other players.Situations are different-but not everyone can live up to the prizes.So this is a tactical move and there is nothing wrong with it.And yes, of course, everyone does it.

MrrrRock

MrrrRock

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
some of the time but not all of the time
I prefer pushing tho

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday we were 6 or 7 off the money bubble and I picked up JJ in early position. I timed down but decide to save 20 seconds of my time bank and folded it. I only had 10 big blinds and one of the shortest stacks at the table, so I was clearly at risk of busting if I shoved all-in and got called.

A few seconds later we got the alert that "we're now in the money!" and I felt pretty awful that I didn't use my entire time bank. At that point I could have shoved, and even if I lost the hand, I still would have cashed.

But the reason I folded is because it was an $11 tournament with a very unusual payout structure - the minimum cash was $40, far more than just a "min cash". This was the brand new Sunday Squeeze on ACR, which was a $100K Guaranteed tournament, surprisingly the turnout for it was incredibly light, they only got about 4100 entries total (so they guaranteed 100K but only received 41K in buy-ins, meaning there was a MASSIVE overlay of almost 60K).

So the reason I folded the 4th best hand was solely because the payout for cashing was enormous compared to the buy-in... and that influenced my decision greatly. Even tho JJ is the 4th best possible starting hand, it is quite vulnerable when facing any ace, king or queen. It really wasn't a difficult decision to fold it there, on the stone cold bubble, but my only mistake was not using up ALL of my time bank before folding. I learned a lesson there.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's an interesting question. For me it will always depend on my stack. If I have a full stack, whenever I have a strong hand, I will pressure the short stacks to force them to fold before the flop. And if I hit a big game, I'll induce villains to raise to eat their chips. If the flop is not favorable, I'll go defensive.
Now that doesn't mean playing suicidal with any hand. You have to have a decent hand. Now if I'm the short stack, I'll burn as long as possible and even if I'm holding AA, KK or QQ I'll evaluate my position and the rest of the table before playing. I'm trying to establish a rule not to leave a tournament until after ITM. Mostly paid tournaments.