Can somebody please try to explain

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the importance of position postflop? Seems to me acting last is a DISADVANTAGE! Let’s say you raise from the hijack and the button calls. The flop comes whatever and you check. The in position player bets. Since neither of you is likely to have hit your hand, are you supposed to three-bet every time you want to steal the pot? That’s gonna get expensive quick. Is position only important preflop and then it’s more about initiative? I don’t understand.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Acting last is a huge advantage because you have more information than someone who was forced to act earlier. Position is an advantage at all stages of the hand.

If you're in early position and bet on the flop, you have no idea what the players in later position are going to do. In contrast, if you're on the button post-flop you've seen what every other player's decision is going to be before you have to act.

Poker is a game of incomplete information and if you're playing from early position your information is even more incomplete. This is why charts and guides invariably say that you need a stronger hand to enter a pot in early position than you do in late position - hands like AT/AJ or small pocket pairs are great to raise with from the button but are much more difficult to play from UTG, especially if your post-flop game is not strong.

In a scenario such as the one you outlined where you raised from an earlier position and got a call from a player in later position, you should consider whether it is appropriate to put in a continuation bet rather than just checking the flop and then check-raising. You always have to consider what your "story" looks like to the other player and what you are trying to make them think you have.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the importance of position postflop? Seems to me acting last is a DISADVANTAGE! Let’s say you raise from the hijack and the button calls. The flop comes whatever and you check. The in position player bets. Since neither of you is likely to have hit your hand, are you supposed to three-bet every time you want to steal the pot? That’s gonna get expensive quick. Is position only important preflop and then it’s more about initiative? I don’t understand.

Take a look at this free CC course - Day 1 is Power of Position because it is that important.

Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days - CardChat.com™ (cardschat.com)