T

Trilliput

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

Great forum.

I'd like to start using some poker software, to get some statistics, manage odds, etc., since I've read they were really helpful.

I'm basically a fish, having played online at PokerStars for a few weeks and having read some online articles, so I have no idea where to begin. Here's what I want to know:

1. Is additional software really helpful in general?
2. Is additional software useful for noobs?
3. Is there any good free software out there?
4. What is the best software that can be obtained by using some marketing code at one of the online rooms?
5. In general, what's my checklist of things I should do before starting to play?

Thanks a bunch for your time! :)

T.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

Great forum.

I'd like to start using some poker software, to get some statistics, manage odds, etc., since I've read they were really helpful.

I'm basically a fish, having played online at PokerStars for a few weeks and having read some online articles, so I have no idea where to begin. Here's what I want to know:

1. Is additional software really helpful in general?
It is if you'll be multi-tabling
2. Is additional software useful for noobs?
In my opinion, no. At first it's merely a distraction
3. Is there any good free software out there?
You can get HEM or PT3 for free through various websites, such as Stoxpoker
4. What is the best software that can be obtained by using some marketing code at one of the online rooms?
HEM and PT3 are both available this way
5. In general, what's my checklist of things I should do before starting to play?
1)Decide how much you can afford to lose, deposit that amount, and ensure that you start off with at least 40 buy-ins. Newer players will experience greater variance, and are in more need of a larger number of buyins.

2)Understand that as a new player you'll need to start off as a tight player, until you get better at understanding your oponnents.

3)Try to grasp how important position is. Most people have no clue.

Thanks a bunch for your time! :)

T.

rcrocketman

rcrocketman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're just starting out I don't think it's necessary. Once you've played for awhile and are multi-tabling cash tables or playing a bunch of MTT's at the same time then you'd probably want to consider getting either HEM or PT3. In early going though, I think it's better to go without the tracking software as it'll give you more practise/experience on assessing players on your tables and trying to make reads (putting them on hand ranges, etc.).

As far as getting it for free goes... there are some free trials available.