So what did I learn after a month of not playinging poker.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So 34 days ago I started my month away from poker to work on my game and other issues. Was it worth it?

1st thing I learned is I should not set goals as like gets in the way of the best plans we can make. Several days into my study we had a medical issue in my home than pretty much killed the momentum of study. While I did study at the hospital and where I could taking care of my wife was priority number 1 as were the kids.

So I had hoped to get 100 hours of study in over the month. I was on track early and ended at 55 or so hours worth. while disappointing it was still good.

As I started going over my past play I noticed a big area of concern in my game and spent most of my month working on that past of the game. I admit i was surprised at the amount of that area I could improve on as I thought i was really good there. Strangely I am still working on that section of the game. While I will be playing now again I realize I need to really put more time into my game. While I have always studied the game I realized there is so much more to learn and improve on. I wont share the area but if you asked me a month ago if there was any issue there I would have said no.

On my mind set. As i had mentioned this was an area in needed to get back under control. I have been meditation and using other mindset technicks to get my tilt back into control. realizing I had let 1 person get to me the way I did and how it was affecting my game I as very happy to have gotten this back under control.

I had also mention how tired I was and how I was pushing to play. Not sleeping was defantly affecting my temperament and mindset. I was getting close to 10 hours a day at 1st and it really did help a lot. Sadly one the medical issue hit I did not get much sleep but have gotten back on track. Sadly I am really getting used to going to bed early now and thinking of playing less during the work week. I am looking at the CC games and others I like to play and ill be working out a schedule of game I prefer to play. I will possibly only play 3 or 4 days a week going forward and only push when there is a tournament series I want to play in. .As for the days I dont play I will use them to study more on those days. I figure the extra 4 to 6 hours a week will help me improve.

I did notice another issue when I was reviewing my old play. I noticed I missed a lot when playing to many games. I also found I make way to many mistakes when playing to many tables. While playing more games will flatten out variance over time, it also causes your ROI to be lower. So what to do? I will never play professionally or for high stakes but I want more. I want to be the best player I can or could be. If I want to be a better player I dont need to play so many tables at one time. I know some would call it boring but that's OK. If I want to be the better player I must cut down on the table I play. As of now, I have decided to only play 2 max at one time for the next several months. If I am going to improve I need to concentrate on the action at the tables better.

So now did I take the full month + off. As I said I would play a few special games but other than those 4 and trying out something game I did not play. Most of these game were in the last weekend of my break and the results were shocking in some ways even taking down a CC game. While getting lucky helps I found where I had been working on my game to have really helped my game. Even more just playing the one game at a time it was shocking how good my reads were at the tables and avoiding big errors.

So was it worth taking the time off? Much more than I would have thought. As i mentioned I had been pushing to play before my break. In the last week I have been doing what I could to not play. I am so fired up to play again and so looking forward to playing. More than I have in a while. What I have learned about myself was a very valuable lesson that I wont forget. I only wish I had taking this break sooner.

I closing I want to say this. Many players say they study or want to improve. Some say it not happening fast enough and not worth putting time into the game and there-self. All I have to say is this, The time and effort taking the time off to improve my self and my poker player was well worth the effort. Best of luck at the tables everyone. Tomorrow I return to playing poker .