Slow playing aces?

T

Tiltmode1987

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Idk about everyone else but i have learned my lesson a couple too many times by trying to slow play aces. I suggest raising big pre and isolating players because the more hands you let in the more chance you'll get sucked out on. It has happened to me and it hurts too bad. Its better to win a little than to lose a whole lot.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it,s 15-20bb you can effort to raise and bet not all in.Maybe dominated hands can pay you a lot,stricked a pair Q or K flop

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
AA is the best hand you can get preflop. But under no circumstances should you play slowly and at least you should raise him preflop. But AA is only a high pair that can lose to anything higher than 1 pair. In any case, you should raise it preflop and see what comes on the table and how the others play at the table. And you have to be ready to fold when you see that a flush has formed at the table and you don't have the color. Some people think that when they have AA on hand that they have already won, it is not. Even if it is the strongest hand preflop, this can simply change on the flop or turn or even river and you have to be ready to fold the hand.

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you. I have tried different plays with aces and unless I raise big too many players get in the pot. When that happens I might win 1in 4 pots. I now raise big with the premium hands.

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
A very controversial situation with AA preflop, if you do early, it is best to make a small raise, because if you make a big raise then your opponents will most likely call you with worse hands and according to the law of poker opponents will get the board. In the later stages of the tournament, you show your hand with a bet and you let everyone know that you have a monster hand preflop. Everyone should watch the situation.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Idk about everyone else but i have learned my lesson a couple too many times by trying to slow play aces. I suggest raising big pre and isolating players because the more hands you let in the more chance you'll get sucked out on. It has happened to me and it hurts too bad. Its better to win a little than to lose a whole lot.

Isolating is how I like to play pocket aces. Doesn't work, however, at the beginning of low buy-in tournaments. They are usually "all-in fests", and like you say, too many, and you'll get beat.

Try to remember who did what, and if you run across them later, and you remember, or have taken notes, pocket aces can do you much good.

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never slow play pocket Aces, I've tried it before in the past however it leaves way to many opportunities for other players to get in the hand cheap and possibly hit a better hand. It can pay off to slow play them, but in my opinion it is always better to raise to scare off limpers and flop hunters.. if they want the flop they're going to have to pay for it.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I go all-in with AA most of the time. This generally scares off all fish.

K

Knockofff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never slow play aces unless u prepared to get cracked i always raise preflop to get out the limpers

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The last few months I lost so many times with AA that nowadays I just go all in pre flop with AA :(

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Don't ever slow play aces.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
Situational

my answer to this is choose your spots, be comfortable enough on the board to know which cards are live, the opponents you are facing, and also a bit off advise never just call with aces at least bet 3BBs, to get rid of mediocre hands and garbage hands, after that depending on the board you can slow play or be aggressive

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's all situation dependent.

While I agree that, in most situations, one should be looking to raise/3bet with aces, there will be situations where limp/calling a raise will be the better play. The same goes with post flop play. In some situations, you want to play fast and aggressive. Other situations, slow playing would be the better option to extract value.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I go all-in with AA most of the time. This generally scares off all fish.
Why do you want to scare off bad players when you have the strongest starting hand?

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Being so called sucked out on in poker is simply part of the game and shouldn't be a primary factor in decision making. Build pots with big hands, but you also don't want to chase out lesser hands that would call you down when you have a big hand.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shouldn't play with aces without raising at all. And even more so. This increases the chances of winning. Otherwise, the fish will definitely enter the game.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, slowplay is statistically (at least mine) not very effective, but I have come up with an important rule for myself. If I play AA this way, I'm internally ready to fold AA postflop on a dangerous board.

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a general rule I never slow play pocket aces, but there are when times it can be an effective strategy.

If you play too consistently, over time other players will get a read on you.
Changing up your game can confuse them.

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only time you should slow-play aces is late in a tournament with less than 20BB you may try to limp to get someone to raise and then go all-in. You can potentially gain some chips you may not by raising first in.

mobooshka

mobooshka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never slowplay aces. Small prizes are better than big loses.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I usually don´t slowplay aces. As with other strong hands I raise aces preflop and continue to bet postflop. I don´t want to play with more than one opponent. But as always, be prepared to change your strategy.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ace is not suitable for slow play. It's common sense.
Suitable for two-pair or higher monster hands.

S

sxm59

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time you should slow-play aces is late in a tournament with less than 20BB you may try to limp to get someone to raise and then go all-in. You can potentially gain some chips you may not by raising first in.

I agree, but it is not the only time. For example, suppose you are on the button, two players limped, and there is an aggressive player in the big blind who often likes to squeeze in this spot. Then, limping with aces can make a lot of sense, because you likely will be able to make a large 3-bet, isolate the raiser, and win more chips than if you had raised the limpers.

For a different example, suppose you are in the big blind, the player under the gun raises, and it folds all around to you. If you 3-bet the UTG raiser from the BB, that will look very strong and the UTG raiser might fold or play very cautiously. Again, calling with aces can make a lot of sense in this spot.

Mamkin_Pokerist

Mamkin_Pokerist

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think that with AA you need to make an impressive raise, and then play aggressively. By scaring off weak hands on the preflop, we eliminate the chance that we will be run over by funny combinations