slow playing aces

K

KWILD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just limped with aces in a home game tourney the other night. I had raised the fellows BB many times and he had complained. I limped with aces and he just called. Long story short he made two pair with 9 4 and I lost the hand. Looking back I should have raised him again, where he might have made a mistake when he thought I was messing with him again. He may have reraised and then I could have pushed him out. Limp was definitely the wrong play.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally I wouldnt, unless there is an aggrotard behind raising 90% of hands.

MaksAnonim

MaksAnonim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are times when I'll flat a 3-bet to disguise the strength of my hand, but that's as far as I'll go with slow playing AA.

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personaly i think limping with aces will only come back to bite you in the arse-i like others that posted here are spot on i think-you want to bet them while trying to disguise your hand-i learned this first hand trying to get cute limping with them only to be crushed post flop by a person that would have folded to a raise pre-flop

mange1234

mange1234

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to bet Aces

I struggle as to how to play pocket aces. Being a poor player, I usually try different things. Some times I slow play, some times I three bet, and some times I go all in or bet high.

I am telling you how I play them. If one slow plays them, there is the possibility of getting sucked out.

I don't fall in love with monster hands (AA- KK- QQ) Best thing to do, no matter how you play them, do not hesitate to fall in love with them. After the flop, and you do not get any help, they are just a pair.

Some peeps will ride the pocket AAs to the end. Which is not a good idea. Do not be afraid to fold them.

I guess position, players, and stack size has a lots of influence in how they are played also.

No one said playing poker is easy. lol

mange1234

F

Feltea

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you limp it can end up with the hole table on the flop, and if that happends you are burned... Raise and raise again :)

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will see a few pros limping these days with monster hands, but they know who they are playing against and have a strategy in mind when they do so. Yes, some of it is balancing their range as well. For normal play, I don't recommend limping any monster hand. You lose value in the long run and run the risk of getting your aces cracked by a hand post-flop that wouldn't have even been playing if you hadn't let him in.

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you limp you are giving players with poor or marginal hands the chance to get into the pot cheaply. Remember the old adage "if you wanna play, you gotta pay". Regardless of whichever game you are in, make 'em pay.

vjkask

vjkask

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only safe game the best option, depends if you can rebuy yourself :D

P

pachopaez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aces

How smart is it, to just limp with aces once in a while.
What do you think?

I think even aces should always do raise , it is better not to show many cards to limpers

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise and reraise is the only optimal way to play Aces.

hatemandos

hatemandos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not correct-give the opponent to hit the flop

shpilia

shpilia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp is the biggest mistake would be. In no case. I saw these players. Half are not luck. You can hide under not the big 3 -beta raise.

Everything is right! I would have done well.

L

lordrobes

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never slow play AA

You should never slow play pocket AA pre-flop. If you are "limping" in enough hands to fool your opponents with an AA slow play, then I would imagine that you are not making much money on your bankroll. There are too many flops that can be brutal for AA, you should never want to let them see them cheap. Especially in a cash game.