Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hello all!

How often do you show your hands? If I get pushed off a strong holding when I have a good idea that I'm beat, I will rarely show this hand to the table. My thought is I am trying to communicate that I play strong hands and bluffing me will not always work. Obviously, I do bluff on occasion to mix things up.

Similarly, I will rarely show a bluff to show them I am capable of doing so.

Finally, if I make rare hands like quads, straight flushes, or royal flushes (I've only had two of these in my entire career lol), I show them because....well, they're really rare!

What are your thoughts? Should I hide all my hands or play mind games with the table?

Hi Timmah,

The only time I will show my cards is if I think it is very likely to put my opponent on tilt.

Much like choosing to play or fold a hand, or choosing a bet size, you need to ask yourself what you are trying to achieve and what benefit showing your cards will give you against what benefit you are giving to your opponent.

At a live tournament a few years ago a middle-aged guy was visibly frustrated. He'd started off with a run of huge cards and had built a sizeable chip lead, but then appeared to go completely card dead. In one hand he raised from middle/late position and it folded round to me in the BB. I flatted with something like 97s. I check called the flop with a gutshot straight draw. The turn blanked and we checked it through. The river bricked as well so I bet nearly the pot with my busted draw. He chucks his hand in the muck in disgust muttering something like I just can't hit a hand. I flipped over my cards and said neither can I. He didn't say anything but you could see he was absolutely furious. The next hand he shoved all in and was called by someone with TT and he was out. He left swearing to himself and giving me dirty looks, but I didn't care; I had won the psychological war and he busted the tournament without cashing and I had contributed to his elimination.

F

FuccinALLin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any sort of show is giving your opponents a free look and if there good itll make you that much more predictable.. make them pay to see the goods i say

blake2702

blake2702

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree never show you cards, its better to keep them guessing

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands