Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Moonchild

Moonchild

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys. Often I see players showing their cards, both the winning as folding ones. To be honest, most of the time I don't understand why one would do that. You're only giving away information that way, no? That being said, I must say I mostly play MTT's with a low buy-in (from freeroll to 11 dollar). Could it be that the showing of cards is mostly done by beginners or people who only keep playing poker without studying more about the game? Or am I mistaken?

The only time I show my cards, is when an opponent had to make a hero fold and if my hand was clearly the best. But at those times I do it strategically, so the other one knows he made a good fold, in the hope he'll fold again in another difficult situation. So now I'm wondering if you guys show your cards, when and why?

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never show cards first, only when I bet and my opponent folds face up I sometimes show my cards.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the table I am playing (if its a family pot- lol). I rarely show though, I figure the same you mentioned above.

C

CardDead711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never say never, but NEVER. LOL. You want to see you have to pay. Why bet, have opponent fold, and then show him anyways. I need every edge I can get, and if I'm giving away free information, then I'm giving away too much. I agree with there are times players like to show to set-up future plays, or establish a certain table image. I'm not that good, so you want to see my cards then you have to call.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My opinion is to open only excellent hands. In the future it will benefit. When you show opponents of strong cards, it puts pressure on them psychologically, they will think that you have only good cards, and they will play worse than usual. This will form your table image, aggressive image that will intimidate most players. In general, it should be understood that any voluntary opening card dolzhnl have a clear goal: "boost" your image or annoy someone.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I chose other, I show my hand when I want to change my table image. If they perceive me as a tight player, I'll show a bluff hand. If they perceive me as a loose player, I show a great hand. Keep them guessing.

Zokac71

Zokac71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
showing my cards when they are quite strong on the ground when they decide to bluff some thought that maybe again I have strong cards

R

revenant76

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what most people have already said. I rarely show my cards unless its going to benefit me by changing my table image in a way I want it too, or maybe put another player on tilt. But I dont do it very often.

TheMagic

TheMagic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don´t like to show my cards, only in few situations, but in general lines, it isn´t a good idea, especially because, you´re demonstrating your game to your opponent, that can easily make notes and a solid reading about your gameplay. Sometimes I like to show, only to tease them or when I´m playing without commitment, just for fun, with friends.

Diegol

Diegol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I show them when i lose a very strong hand, for example yesterday i had AA vs A7 and the other player got in the flop 4 5 6 8 Q,he had less than 10% chances of wining that hand,so i only show them when they were very lucky

Padlington

Padlington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was always in the opinion that showing your cards gives free information personally I do not show

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I chose other, I show my hand when I want to change my table image. If they perceive me as a tight player, I'll show a bluff hand. If they perceive me as a loose player, I show a great hand. Keep them guessing.

I chose Occasionally for the same reasons you stated. ;)

Sowing the occasional bluff or nut hand keeps them guessing.

:top:

D

Dan Perkins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes show my cards to offset my play. if iam playing tight I may try a bluff with rags and if I win I will show. I will do this a few times to try and confuse the table.

Moonchild

Moonchild

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:) Thanks for your reactions so far. Seems most of you hardly show them and if you do so, you try to do it for strategical reasons. I agree. That being said, I will not convince the players on my tables that the showing of their hands isn't that good of an idea. Keep on showing them to me sweeties, is what I think. :D

Must be that I mostly play low stakes that I see the showing so often.

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show cards for any reason. I prefer to charge people a fee of some sort to reveal that information, it is just to valuable to give away.

Moonchild

Moonchild

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show cards for any reason. I prefer to charge people a fee of some sort to reveal that information, it is just to valuable to give away.

I presume you're talking about live games with high stakes? And do people often pay for that? I wonder.

fly2tsky

fly2tsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont recommend to do so. I just show that to my closed friend when we r in home game.

Moonchild

Moonchild

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No I got curious ... are there other players here who try to get a fee for revealing information about the cards? And does it happen often?

jackalope888

jackalope888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To add confusion to my play style and if I am going from bluff mode to tight play and I want more calls made, also I do like to troll from time to time and put them on tilt

TiReX

TiReX

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never show my cards,why show the opponent has what hand and how you play.Many show their good cards in order then in a similar situation to win on a bluff.But it can be successfully operated)

Moonchild

Moonchild

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To add confusion to my play style and if I am going from bluff mode to tight play and I want more calls made, also I do like to troll from time to time and put them on tilt
What do you mean by 'troll from time to time'? In your language or by showing silly cards?

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
The only time I show my hand is when I want to confuse the other players.

As if I play tight, then show a hand with small pot when I fake a Bluff, that is really useful. :deal:

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Randomly for me. I give not too much info to my game. I mix every hand sometime agressif with 22 and sometimes limp AA and sometimes just check call with KK . The oppenement have bad read on me when I show loll

Moonchild

Moonchild

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Randomly for me. I give not too much info to my game. I mix every hand sometime agressif with 22 and sometimes limp AA and sometimes just check call with KK . The oppenement have bad read on me when I show loll
I understand what you're saying, but don't you think you can sometimes play it to your advantage. F.ex. You played 6/10 of the last hands, mostly by being agressive and bluffing, but you won those hands. Then you get AA or KK and you play agressive again post flop, 'cause the board it wet. Your opponents fold after the river, but you feel it was a hard fold. Don't you think it could be good to show your strong hand, so they know/think: "he must have gotten strong hands before ... he wasn't just bluffing." I think it makes your moves more believable and you can get more respect on the table.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually I show them only to rub it in =) Bluff or a floped nuts... something like that