Should you play every day?

R

RazKat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play only after my critical tasks are done for the day so as to not Lose sight of my personal growth in other areas of life. It's a healthy hobby that stimulates my mind when it comes to playing poker and like any game, the aspect of fun should be exploited first before addiction unless of course your goal is to make a career out of it.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since no problem on time and BR, I think 4 or 5 days per week is just fine.

What matters most is, youre in good condition every time you play at live table.

cantavir

cantavir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not know who that is but I play with 1-2 competition on a daily basis when I have time I participate in certain competitions to 10 per week. Now winter is with us in the summer I play a lot less because there is more work

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Personally I play poker every day. I think it all depends on your work time or play time, family time etc. It can be too much and then you just have to limit the amount of time I play each day.

As a general note, there are more people playing at the weekends and therefore there are more fish, thus more profit, However if you are talking live poker perhaps there are more sharks on a weekend looking for the fish/ newcomers. So beware to make sure you dont play above your level at any time. Gl all..............:D:D:D

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play when I feel like playing, after more pertinent tasks are completed. I try to avoid burnout as well, so sometimes I take a decent amount of time off from playing. I used to play everyday when Americans could play on PS and FTP, but now most weeks I only play a couple times a week.

Vox Populi

Vox Populi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play everyday. Practice makes perfect (my saying anyways). Everyone is different though. If you don't like grinding then only play it when you want to actually play.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played poker now for about a decade and have been profitable in the 5 digits overall.....I would call my game strong intermediate though I don't play that high anymore bc I prefer live cash but don't live close to a tournament/have tonnes of opportunities to travel at this time.

I find for myself and most people i've known in poker playing 6-7 days a week is usually not going to lead to optimal play. There comes a point for MOST people that you kind of lose your edge, and that goes for hours within a day and also days within a given period....say a week or 2.

If I had to pinpoint an optimal amount of play for just results, i'd say 3-4 days a week for 5-8 hours with a break in there for a meal. Now that is for OPTIMAL ROI- best peak play. That doesn't mean the same as optimal EV overall; someone may make MORE money playing 60h a wk, but is will be a lower hourly imho in MOST CASES.

If I had to pinpoint an optimal amount of play for LEARNING SERIOUSLY, I would up it a bit and play around 5 to 6 days a week maybe 5-8 hours with a shorter session on the 6th day or something and at least one day of total rest from poker/stress thrown in.

As far as learning off the felt, I do think it can be helpful, but way too many beginners have come to believe it to be as important as play, and I THINK THIS IS A MISTAKE.

If the super optimal amount of play to be LEARNING SERIOUSLY is say 5 days a week for 7 hours and then 4 hours on the 6th day; I would only throw in maybe 6 hours of off the table learning, 8 at most to that regimen.

You simply get to a point where there is overload in how much info you are actually going to be able to assimilate efficiently. Watching one vid before bed or during a meal on your working/playing days and then 1/2 on you lower volume days seems reasonable. Maybe switching off from vids to HH review once a week makes sense also....maybe a bit more if you are losing.

The point is:

YOU HAVE TO PLAY A LOT OF HOLDEM TO GET BETTER AT HOLDEM.

L

lukeellul92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played poker now for about a decade and have been profitable in the 5 digits overall.....I would call my game strong intermediate though I don't play that high anymore bc I prefer live cash but don't live close to a tournament/have tonnes of opportunities to travel at this time.

I find for myself and most people i've known in poker playing 6-7 days a week is usually not going to lead to optimal play. There comes a point for MOST people that you kind of lose your edge, and that goes for hours within a day and also days within a given period....say a week or 2.

If I had to pinpoint an optimal amount of play for just results, i'd say 3-4 days a week for 5-8 hours with a break in there for a meal. Now that is for OPTIMAL ROI- best peak play. That doesn't mean the same as optimal EV overall; someone may make MORE money playing 60h a wk, but is will be a lower hourly imho in MOST CASES.

If I had to pinpoint an optimal amount of play for LEARNING SERIOUSLY, I would up it a bit and play around 5 to 6 days a week maybe 5-8 hours with a shorter session on the 6th day or something and at least one day of total rest from poker/stress thrown in.

As far as learning off the felt, I do think it can be helpful, but way too many beginners have come to believe it to be as important as play, and I THINK THIS IS A MISTAKE.

If the super optimal amount of play to be LEARNING SERIOUSLY is say 5 days a week for 7 hours and then 4 hours on the 6th day; I would only throw in maybe 6 hours of off the table learning, 8 at most to that regimen.

You simply get to a point where there is overload in how much info you are actually going to be able to assimilate efficiently. Watching one vid before bed or during a meal on your working/playing days and then 1/2 on you lower volume days seems reasonable. Maybe switching off from vids to HH review once a week makes sense also....maybe a bit more if you are losing.

The point is:

YOU HAVE TO PLAY A LOT OF HOLDEM TO GET BETTER AT HOLDEM.

Honestly this is the best reply in the whole thread to me, in my opinion.
I get it, everyones different.
ME? I'm trying to be my best. Whilst I would love to do this professionally, I think I'd be happy doing this as a second job almost, and for me, I'm puttig in the hours, at a minimum I'm doing 12-15 hours a week, but I know I need to play more then that.

I have a few books coming in as well so my study will now go past youtube, Cardschat and what I learn at the tables. Hopefully they help.

B

bluejay2220

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play everyday, but it might get boring.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its depends whether you are recreational or a pro.If you a pro ofc you got to play everyday to supplement your in come.If not, just play on your spare time or on the weekend.